The Student Room Group

Ensure fair grading for GCSE and A Level students in 2023 (Government Petition)

Link: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/631743

We want the Government to work with Ofqual to ensure that students are graded as generously in 2023 as they were in 2022, to reflect the disruption caused by covid-19 and upcoming strikes.

Please give our children a chance at success and don’t penalise them for situations beyond their control.
Y11 pupils had their education disrupted during Y8. Y7 was their last full year of teaching on-site. Now in Y11, with examinations imminent, teaching is being curtailed before these pivotal exams.

As well as all the turmoil, bereavements and SEMH issues navigated in light of Covid, I feel it highly unfair that they are expected to perform as if nothing out of the ordinary has happened. We now face lost teaching due to strikes and many families are experiencing trials and tribulations due to the mounting Cost of Living crisis.

Just want to say this is not from me, I'm simply passing a message on. Thank you for your understanding.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by hawaii27

We want the Government to work with Ofqual to ensure that students are graded as generously in 2023 as they were in 2022, to reflect the disruption caused by covid-19 and upcoming strikes.

Please give our children a chance at success and don’t penalise them for situations beyond their control.

Y11 pupils had their education disrupted during Y8. Y7 was their last full year of teaching on-site. Now in Y11, with examinations imminent, teaching is being curtailed before these pivotal exams.

As well as all the turmoil, bereavements and SEMH issues navigated in light of Covid, I feel it highly unfair that they are expected to perform as if nothing out of the ordinary has happened. We now face lost teaching due to strikes and many families are experiencing trials and tribulations due to the mounting Cost of Living crisis.

Teaching is being curtailed? Where? We're full steam ahead where I work.

I think there needs to be a point at which we return to normality. If there is one criticism of our current system it is that there is so much pressure on teachers to ensure everyone gets A*s, students simply are not allowed to fail. I feel sorry primarily for the students who got their grades over the last few years under a much more lenient system. Many of them think they are A / A* students when the reality is that they are B / C students. At some point in the future they are in for a horrendous surprise when they are judged on reality and not the piece of paper they hold.

We need to stop spoon feeding our students, allow them to fail a bit more often, learn from those mistakes and perhaps build up some of the resilience that generations before acquired in school.
Reply 2
This is already happening so I don't understand the point of the petition.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/grading-exams-and-assessments-in-summer-2023-and-autumn-2022

"Students in the 2023 cohort have not experienced national school and college closures during their 2-year courses of study, but we know they have experienced some disruption. That’s why we’re putting in place some protection for this cohort."

"Broadly speaking, therefore, a typical student who would have achieved an A grade in their A level geography before the pandemic will be just as likely to get an A next summer, even if their performance in the assessments is a little weaker in 2023 than it would have been before the pandemic."
Original post by hotpud
Teaching is being curtailed? Where? We're full steam ahead where I work.

I think there needs to be a point at which we return to normality. If there is one criticism of our current system it is that there is so much pressure on teachers to ensure everyone gets A*s, students simply are not allowed to fail. I feel sorry primarily for the students who got their grades over the last few years under a much more lenient system. Many of them think they are A / A* students when the reality is that they are B / C students. At some point in the future they are in for a horrendous surprise when they are judged on reality and not the piece of paper they hold.

We need to stop spoon feeding our students, allow them to fail a bit more often, learn from those mistakes and perhaps build up some of the resilience that generations before acquired in school.

Going to have to agree with this (when it comes to the grades bit. Likewise there are probably some students who got a B/C in 2020-2021 who would have got an A/A* if they had done the exams as normal but they got screwed over by the CAGs system so they had to "resit" in the Autumn). My hot take is that there probably shouldn't have been any extra measures (advanced info, more generous grading etc) put in place for 2022 A-levels (not GCSEs) either but I'm thankful that I got that support.

That being said there are many issues with the exams system in England in my opinion (for Non-STEM subjects).

I don't think that letting more pupils fail is way but at least getting schools and government to stop thinking/saying that failing is the end of the world. Some schools seem to have the attitude that it's not ok to fail and that you should be ashamed of yourself if you do rather than supporting the pupil or making them aware that failing can help you learn from your mistakes or to see what you need support on.
Students last year faced a lot more disruption in their courses than students this year. Why should they be treated the same?
Reply 5
Original post by Talkative Toad
I don't think that letting more pupils fail is way but at least getting schools and government to stop thinking/saying that failing is the end of the world. Some schools seem to have the attitude that it's not ok to fail and that you should be ashamed of yourself if you do rather than supporting the pupil or making them aware that failing can help you learn from your mistakes or to see what you need support on.

I think perhaps fail is the wrong word, but it is ironic that school success is judged by how many get the highest marks. Yet when you look at the real world and those we deem to be successful, generally speaking, they are successful because they failed.... a lot. And it is that failure and learning from those mistakes that makes those people what they are.

What we are doing as teachers is spoon feeding and mollycoddling our children to feel that they are succeeding when in reality it is their support that is making them achieve. They then get into the real world, the support is withdrawn and they crash and burn. I teach some 6th form kids who still turn up to lessons without a pen because they know that they will be given a pen. And we wonder why young people have no resilience.
Original post by hotpud
I think perhaps fail is the wrong word, but it is ironic that school success is judged by how many get the highest marks. Yet when you look at the real world and those we deem to be successful, generally speaking, they are successful because they failed.... a lot. And it is that failure and learning from those mistakes that makes those people what they are.

What we are doing as teachers is spoon feeding and mollycoddling our children to feel that they are succeeding when in reality it is their support that is making them achieve. They then get into the real world, the support is withdrawn and they crash and burn. I teach some 6th form kids who still turn up to lessons without a pen because they know that they will be given a pen. And we wonder why young people have no resilience.

True. I think that it's maybe harsh to only blame teachers for the spoonfeeding and Mollycoddling, I'd blame parents (not all of them obviously) too (parents (not all of them) of my generation and the current generation (the iGen)).
Reply 7
Original post by hawaii27

What an uninformed petition - they are already making adjustments. Our Year 11 have had full teaching for all the time since the last lockdown ... you are overstating the 'lost' time. We completed the specifications exactly when we would have down pre-covid.
Reply 8
True. I think that it's maybe harsh to only blame teachers for the spoonfeeding and Mollycoddling, I'd blame parents (not all of them obviously) too (parents (not all of them) of my generation and the current generation (the iGen)).

Nah - it is a system that everyone buys into voluntarily or otherwise but nonetheless it is not a particularly healthy system for the participants. Sadly it is a system that isn't really about the students. Schools and parents alike stake their own success on the outcomes of the children in their care. Its a bit sad really.
Reply 9

I've never understand why people in Britain hate it when students do well at school they have to say the exams are getting easier they are being Mollycoddle. The current generation is called the sensible generation and they are more likely to work hard at school. Even white working class boys and travellers are more likely to pass their GCSEs and go on to higher education than 20 years ago. 1/15 white working class boys go onto higher education 20 years ago it was 1/20.
Original post by looloo2134
I've never understand why people in Britain hate it when students do well at school they have to say the exams are getting easier they are being Mollycoddle. The current generation is called the sensible generation and they are more likely to work hard at school. Even white working class boys and travellers are more likely to pass their GCSEs and go on to higher education than 20 years ago. 1/15 white working class boys go onto higher education 20 years ago it was 1/20.

My generation (Gen Z)? Sensible? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Also technically my generation (Zoomers) are no longer the current generation in my opinion, that baton passes over to the Alpha generation/iGen now.
My generation (Gen Z)? Sensible? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Also technically my generation (Zoomers) are no longer the current generation in my opinion, that baton passes over to the Alpha generation/iGen now.

The static show that iGen and Zoomers are more likely to work at school and less like to be arrested smoke drink have underage sex etc than Boomers Gen x and Millennial at the same age. It is a form of rebelling because their parents were party animals at the same age.
The static show that iGen and Zoomers are more likely to work at school and less like to be arrested smoke drink have underage sex etc than Boomers Gen x and Millennial at the same age. It is a form of rebelling because their parents were party animals at the same age.
Gen Z vape (not all of them of course) but fair enough.
Gen Z vape (not all of them of course) but fair enough.

I never understand why people smoke or vape all it does cost money and harm yourself.
I never understand why people smoke or vape all it does cost money and harm yourself.
Same, back to the topic though I don't think that there should be any modifications for the 2023 exams and there probably shouldn't have been any for last year's exams either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending