The Student Room Group

Want to change GCSE option at the end of Year 9

Hi! I want to change from Business Studies to French. They're in the same options block, and French lessons occur at the same time as Business. My form teachers are both French teachers, and and I got some of the best grades in my French class in Year 8. My French teacher at the time actually said to me that she was a bit bummed that I didn't choose French. Also, the teacher that said it teaches the Foundation class I would move to.
Do I bother with trying?? I am a bit apprehensive of my Head of Year and I have a feeling they don't like me :frown: I do well though and I have good attendance, have good grades, and am a student leader (like that'll help, but context is necessary folks)! I would study hard for French. The only thing is that they've said no to people that literally begged to change.
Also, for context purposes, I said to them back in December that I would be interested in switching to French.
(edited 9 months ago)
depends on your school and they would probably treat it on an individual basis but in my school you can only change your options in the first term of year nine so u don’t miss too much of the gcse course
Reply 2
You may aswell go for it you have nothing to lose (it really doesn’t matter if your head of year likes you or not!), try to convince them that you will do will far better in French than the subject you are dropping and if they still say no try to bargain with them, like ask to do a French test and if you do well enough you can take French and past that there’s not much more you can do
Reply 3
Original post by benxschoolz
Hi! I want to change from Business Studies to French. They're in the same options block, and French lessons occur at the same time as Business. My form teachers are both French teachers, and and I got some of the best grades in my French class in Year 8. My French teacher at the time actually said to me that she was a bit bummed that I didn't choose French. Also, the teacher that said it teaches the Foundation class I would move to.
Do I bother with trying?? I am a bit apprehensive of my Head of Year and I have a feeling they don't like me :frown: I do well though and I have good attendance, have good grades, and am a student leader (like that'll help, but context is necessary folks)! I would study hard for French. The only thing is that they've said no to people that literally begged to change.
Also, for context purposes, I said to them back in December that I would be interested in switching to French.

I doubt your school will let you - you've missed a whole year of the course. Foundation means a top grade of a 5 ...
Original post by benxschoolz

Hm it depends on whether your teachers are willing to look into it or not - sometimes you will be allowed to change it a few months into the course, but I'm not sure how that will play out as it's pretty late (assuming you already started your gcse courses by now - correct me if I'm wrong).
It's good you're willing to work hard for it, but really consider if you would be able to catch up or make the most out of your lessons. And if your teachers don't let you switch, then don't worry too much, as you can still self-study french if you're passionate about it!
Hope that helps and good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Hm it depends on whether your teachers are willing to look into it or not - sometimes you will be allowed to change it a few months into the course, but I'm not sure how that will play out as it's pretty late (assuming you already started your gcse courses by now - correct me if I'm wrong).
It's good you're willing to work hard for it, but really consider if you would be able to catch up or make the most out of your lessons. And if your teachers don't let you switch, then don't worry too much, as you can still self-study french if you're passionate about it!
Hope that helps and good luck!

I think the course officially started in December, when I originally asked to change. Also, my school does after school study periods so I could do them

Quick Reply

Latest