The Student Room Group

what a levels should I do

predicted both 8/9s in maths and English but don't know which one to do at a level
- doing psych and Econ
- for a third I'm stuck between English lit, maths and philosophy
- I did philosophy gcse and got a 9 in year 10 and it seems v interesting but I'm not sure if its as respected as English and maths
-between English and maths ( if there's anyone that does both) which is easier?
Hi @saffronarora123

It really depends on what you enjoy the most. Whatever subject you are more comfortable with and natural, it will be easier for you to do at A Level. However, it is such a big jump from GCSEs to A Levels, so it is hard to say which subject you would thrive more in now.

I would suggest doing some research into what sort of opportunities doing A Level Maths and English will give you. And ask yourself why you want to study either Maths or English as they are very different subjects! Don't completely disregard Philosophy; you could potentially end up studying the subject at degree level if that interests you.

Definitely look into the different career paths. Although, I would encourage you to keep your options open, as it is very likely what you want to pursue now will change over the next couple of years.

I wish you all the best🙂

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Original post by saffronarora123
predicted both 8/9s in maths and English but don't know which one to do at a level
- doing psych and Econ
- I did philosophy gcse and got a 9 in year 10 and it seems v interesting but I'm not sure if its as respected as English and maths
To be honest, I would do maths as a third as it provides a broader range on what you're able to do later on in the future + it's respected much more than the other options. Yet I think you should pick something that makes you feel motivated to study as A-levels, as you know, will get tougher. So pick something you'd enjoy studying and good luck!
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @saffronarora123

It really depends on what you enjoy the most. Whatever subject you are more comfortable with and natural, it will be easier for you to do at A Level. However, it is such a big jump from GCSEs to A Levels, so it is hard to say which subject you would thrive more in now.

I would suggest doing some research into what sort of opportunities doing A Level Maths and English will give you. And ask yourself why you want to study either Maths or English as they are very different subjects! Don't completely disregard Philosophy; you could potentially end up studying the subject at degree level if that interests you.

Definitely look into the different career paths. Although, I would encourage you to keep your options open, as it is very likely what you want to pursue now will change over the next couple of years.

I wish you all the best🙂

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
thank you
Original post by saffronarora123
- doing psych and Econ
I’d say pick up all 4 at the beginning of the year to see which of the two suits you most, and then when you feel decided drop one

Quick Reply

Latest