The Student Room Group

A levels

I have a really specific dilemma concerning my a level options. I’ve finished a week of year 12 and found out that because I do further maths, not only do I have to do my maths A Level in May, but if I don’t get an A or A* in my March mocks I have to drop further maths altogether and return to normal maths.

The issue is, I literally need further maths to go into Economics at uni. My a levels are Bio Maths Further Econ and it’s compulsory I do all four in year 12, for AS levels atleast.

I got a grade 9 in maths at GCSE. But I’m not sure if I’ll succeed in the mock.

Bio as my fourth is useless but so is any other subject if I want to go into Econ. Should I change Bio to English (or French).

I was thinking English because then if I drop further maths I can pick up another essay subject and do law as a back up option. Or do I change bio to physics because Econ Maths Physics may be good enough to get me into Econ for uni. Or do French because I could perhaps apply to an Econ and modern languages course at some unis like Warwick. Or stick with bio simply because I find it fun and I think it’ll be a relatively “easy” subject for me as I’ve always naturally been good at the sciences.

Is English more content heavy than bio or less? I want a subject that will be useful but not take up too much of my time as I have to prioritise maths if I want to succeed.

Any maths revision advice would be helpful. I’m really nervous that I won’t get the grades I need in my March mocks to do the A Level in May.

Since I got a grade 9 at GCSE, if I work hard enoguh I should be alright. So should I focus on maths or start looking into backup options even tho Econ is the only career I really want. And though I used to be interested in law, I don’t see myself that happy in it. But who knows? It’s the only career I’ve considered aside Econ.

I don’t know if I’m ready to take on English as it is an essay subject and tho I got a 9 and enjoy English. I would have to do lots of reading etc and writing. Will that take more time than bio?

I have until next Friday to decide 😭
disclaimer: im not going into econ and don’t do the subject and my school does fm differently in that we do both a level maths and fm at the end of yr 13 (just started yr13) but we learn all of a level maths and some fm in yr 12 anyway so i’m not in the exact same situation HOWEVER

PLEASE don’t assume a level maths in 1 year is going to be easy!! I CANNOT REPEAT THIS ENOUGH. i got a 9 in gcse maths and a 9 in further maths gcse too, but a level maths is still hard. i know many people who got the same grades as me struggle with even normal maths itself and many people dropped further this summer. the main reason why it’s so hard is not necessarily that the content is super difficult, it’s because of the pure speed you have to go at to cover all the content

in my fm class we covered a chapter of the textbook (pearson for both maths) in a week less at it’s most extreme. If you can be very disciplined and are genuinely ready to undertake fm, then please do it and don’t be discouraged, but also please don’t think that a 9 in gcse means it won’t be too bad.

as for the alternative subject, what i can tell you is some of the most smart/promising econ applicants from my school do the combo of maths, fm, econ and then chem/physics/geography

i think i’m general science is good for these kinds of technical degrees and they show you are very competent and they’re stem subjects. the human geography part is what helps w econ and there are many joint geo and econ degrees

i’d also like you to bare in mind even if you go with an econ degree, you can always switch to law later on (especially that branch of law that works with companies and things touching on econ)

hope i offered you some help!

Quick Reply

Latest