The Student Room Group

Should I revisit college for another 2 years?

Hi,
As I am ending my last year at college I can't shake the feeling that I have made a big mistake with both my choice of A levels and in my effort towards getting high grades. I have gone through many personal hardships as well as having made many immature decisions which has ultimately lead to me only achieving C's in each course I chose, those courses being:

Environmental Science,
3D Design,
Product Design A level.

My reason for choosing these courses was because I did not know what field to study in, so I picked the subjects I did best at during school and/or what I was told I was good at. Overall I have not made the most of my 2 years. To cut things short, now that I am older I have discovered I have a strong interest in engineering and am painfully aware that I will need advanced maths and physics skills to take engineering further. The problem I'm faced with is whether I should revisit college and study maths and physics or if I should just give up. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

(I achieved a 7 in GCSE maths, a 7 in GCSE physics and a 9 in computer science so applying is not the problem)
Reply 1
Hi David,

Look you cant change what's gone, history is in the past so don't beat yourself up about that.

What you can do is change the future going forward for you. Now you are a bit older and more mature and you have a possible passion for Engineering, well that's great, focus on that.

Personally i probably wouldn't go back to college to do subjects again for another two years. I appreciate physics and maths are important but equally I think that could demotivate you, two years of the same with peers younger than you.

Yes your subjects were not great choices but you do have 96 UCAS points and you wont be on your own, thousands of students up and down the country get encouraged to do duff subjects simply because the schools want top headline figures rather than what's best for students career futures

NEVER give up on your dreams, you go for what you want. Heck if you have a go and fail at least you tried your best shot. There is nothing worse than not trying.

Anyhow, if i was you i would look at two options:-

The first option, If you want the University experience and a degree in engineering and think you are ready for that and can apply yourself then look at a foundation year rather going back to college:-
https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=engineering&score=0,96

A few options there but a foundation year leading into a degree with placement year i think would be really good, then at least you get some real skills job training alongside your academia.

The other option is to look at going down the apprentice route, sticking with just plain academia is not for everyone and there is nothing to stop you returning to a degree if its still something you want to do later:-
https://www.apprenticeships.gov.uk/apprentices/browse-by-interests/engineering-manufacturing#

Anyhow, good luck with what you decide
Reply 2
Original post by LsDad
Hi David,

Look you cant change what's gone, history is in the past so don't beat yourself up about that.

What you can do is change the future going forward for you. Now you are a bit older and more mature and you have a possible passion for Engineering, well that's great, focus on that.

Personally i probably wouldn't go back to college to do subjects again for another two years. I appreciate physics and maths are important but equally I think that could demotivate you, two years of the same with peers younger than you.

Yes your subjects were not great choices but you do have 96 UCAS points and you wont be on your own, thousands of students up and down the country get encouraged to do duff subjects simply because the schools want top headline figures rather than what's best for students career futures

NEVER give up on your dreams, you go for what you want. Heck if you have a go and fail at least you tried your best shot. There is nothing worse than not trying.

Anyhow, if i was you i would look at two options:-

The first option, If you want the University experience and a degree in engineering and think you are ready for that and can apply yourself then look at a foundation year rather going back to college:-
https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=engineering&score=0,96

A few options there but a foundation year leading into a degree with placement year i think would be really good, then at least you get some real skills job training alongside your academia.

The other option is to look at going down the apprentice route, sticking with just plain academia is not for everyone and there is nothing to stop you returning to a degree if its still something you want to do later:-
https://www.apprenticeships.gov.uk/apprentices/browse-by-interests/engineering-manufacturing#

Anyhow, good luck with what you decide

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks so much for responding, you have given me hope! I have organised a meeting with the careers department at my college and will talk to them about my options. I will also research more into the two options you gave me and any others I may find.

Quick Reply

Latest