The Student Room Group

Really confused, Is this okay?

I have recently started my final year of university and I am aiming to get a first, I'm currently in my first week and this week is also when I am starting a new job. Both my degree and job are top priorities and I am on track to achieve a first, in regards to my job I can schedule my hours to what I want so I've arranged for things around my university timetable so that there are no overlaps at all, though i can't decide my training times.

I received an email from university today stating that my dissertation project is going to be having tutorial classes (meetings) and are compulsory to attend; my attendance will also be mentioned in my dissertation project documents . My problem is that my job training partially clashes with my project tutorials and I am confused as to what to do.

This project class is at a bad time in the first place; 5pm - 6pm and before that a 2 hour gap from a different class. But my training starts at 6 and is an online meeting for which i need to get home to do, but the clash occurs because I won't be able to get home in time because of the tutorial meeting.

I feel like emailing my lecturer to let them know about my situation, the bad timetabling and ask if we can have the meeting online instead so I can avoid the clash with my training.

Would this be okay to do?
Reply 1
bump
Well, you're going to have to ask regardless, unless you plan on ditching the job. If the uni can't accomodate any change then you'll know where you stand.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
Well, you're going to have to ask regardless, unless you plan on ditching the job. If the uni can't accomodate any change then you'll know where you stand.

Fair enough, I guess I'm partly concerned over coming across as rude for asking to re- schedule an in-person meeting to one online instead. I don't want to quit the job, so I guess I'll have to either attend training a little late or just do it at uni
Original post by Anonymous
Fair enough, I guess I'm partly concerned over coming across as rude for asking to re- schedule an in-person meeting to one online instead. I don't want to quit the job, so I guess I'll have to either attend training a little late or just do it at uni

Whilst from the uni's POV the course should be your priority, you won't be the first student with an outside commitment who has asked to rearrange something. The worst can happen is that they say no.
I have recently started my final year of university and I am aiming to get a first, I'm currently in my first week and this week is also when I am starting a new job. Both my degree and job are top priorities and I am on track to achieve a first, in regards to my job I can schedule my hours to what I want so I've arranged for things around my university timetable so that there are no overlaps at all, though i can't decide my training times.

I received an email from university today stating that my dissertation project is going to be having tutorial classes (meetings) and are compulsory to attend; my attendance will also be mentioned in my dissertation project documents . My problem is that my job training partially clashes with my project tutorials and I am confused as to what to do.

This project class is at a bad time in the first place; 5pm - 6pm and before that a 2 hour gap from a different class. But my training starts at 6 and is an online meeting for which i need to get home to do, but the clash occurs because I won't be able to get home in time because of the tutorial meeting.

I feel like emailing my lecturer to let them know about my situation, the bad timetabling and ask if we can have the meeting online instead so I can avoid the clash with my training.

Hi there

It can be challenging juggling studies and a job at the same time. However, you may be able to contact the timetabling department or your lecturer and see what they can do for you. Having the meeting online can be a good idea, and I think it is worth asking. :smile: I was able to rearrange my timetable last year as I was concerned with commuting at later hours.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent student rep

Anon,

Would you be able to do your online training at the library?

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Hi there,

There are always challenges when balancing a job and your studies. My best advice is to explain the situation to your tutor and discuss any options you might have. It never hurts just to ask.

Is it possible to do your online training in the library or a study room on campus?

Good luck,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Reply 8
Hi everyone, thank you for all your advice I feel a lot better about the situation. This Job is important for me as I've somehow managed to get a senior position whilst still in the early stages of my career and at uni. I've emailed my lecturer regarding my situation including the fact that the timetabling is pretty terrible for the day. He responded shortly afterwards letting me know; not to worry and that he'll reschedule the meeting for a better time and do them online to offer the extra flexibility. Thanks again for all your advice and suggestions.
Hi everyone, thank you for all your advice I feel a lot better about the situation. This Job is important for me as I've somehow managed to get a senior position whilst still in the early stages of my career and at uni. I've emailed my lecturer regarding my situation including the fact that the timetabling is pretty terrible for the day. He responded shortly afterwards letting me know; not to worry and that he'll reschedule the meeting for a better time and do them online to offer the extra flexibility. Thanks again for all your advice and suggestions.

That's great! :smile:

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending