The Student Room Group

How many essays to write in timed conditions in hols?

In the upcoming summer holidays I want to increase my english lit aqa a-level grade from just about B to A star, this yr i havent focused as much on englit as my 2other subjecys...how many essays would you advise me writing....I know I am going to be tested on 4 new types after hols and in mocks i was tested on 2 types...so 6 different q types altogether and 2 of the qs are on one text but the others are all on diff ones?
Reply 1
Hi there,
Whilst I didn't do AQA (I sat OCR this year) I have always found:

1.) Don't just consider essay writing, essay planning can be just as if not more helpful! Detailed plans are a godsend. Depending on how your exam questions are structured when it was a question on character or theme I was prepping for I would like to make a mind map with loads of colours to connect my ideas together - that can often be more helpful than throwing yourself into writing

1.1) Focus on essay skills rather than essay writing - expanding your academic vocabulary is a great way to pretend to the examiner you're smart (as long as you know how to use them) if you have friends taking the same subject it might even be fun to either call them or sit in a coffee shop and debate and discuss as that improves your critical thinking (this can also even work over text)

2.) DO NOT BURN OUT - Year 13 is a rough year. Make sure you get plenty of rest over the summer. There will be so much time over the next 10 months till your exams to stress about writing loads of essays - in all likelihood you will have an abundance of them by next year. It also sounds like you have an intense year coming up in English.
A very wise teacher told me last year that as long as you're within 2 grades of where you want to be at the end of year 12 that is okay and you are

3.) If you want a quantifiable number - in the lead up to my actual exams this summer (so about 1 month before) I wrote around 10 essays that I submitted for feedback (and planned a lot more) - I would focus on the areas you feel weakest in - for me that was the unseen extracts so 7 of the essays I submitted were in that. I did however plan a lot more - part of it depends on how much time you actually have

4.) Make sure to submit them for feedback, even if you think they're bad get your teacher to mark them. There was a girl in my class who was a complete perfectionist and wouldn't get them marked unless she was 100% happy with them and without feedback she was never able to improve

Look after yourself this summer, get lots of rest.

tldr: focus on your weak spots and write essays in that but be careful not to do it and take care of yourself and think outside the box for how you can improve your essays in more ways than writing over and over
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by newtonnn
Hi there,
Whilst I didn't do AQA (I sat OCR this year) I have always found:

1.) Don't just consider essay writing, essay planning can be just as if not more helpful! Detailed plans are a godsend. Depending on how your exam questions are structured when it was a question on character or theme I was prepping for I would like to make a mind map with loads of colours to connect my ideas together - that can often be more helpful than throwing yourself into writing

1.1) Focus on essay skills rather than essay writing - expanding your academic vocabulary is a great way to pretend to the examiner you're smart (as long as you know how to use them) if you have friends taking the same subject it might even be fun to either call them or sit in a coffee shop and debate and discuss as that improves your critical thinking (this can also even work over text)

2.) DO NOT BURN OUT - Year 13 is a rough year. Make sure you get plenty of rest over the summer. There will be so much time over the next 10 months till your exams to stress about writing loads of essays - in all likelihood you will have an abundance of them by next year. It also sounds like you have an intense year coming up in English.
A very wise teacher told me last year that as long as you're within 2 grades of where you want to be at the end of year 12 that is okay and you are

3.) If you want a quantifiable number - in the lead up to my actual exams this summer (so about 1 month before) I wrote around 10 essays that I submitted for feedback (and planned a lot more) - I would focus on the areas you feel weakest in - for me that was the unseen extracts so 7 of the essays I submitted were in that. I did however plan a lot more - part of it depends on how much time you actually have

4.) Make sure to submit them for feedback, even if you think they're bad get your teacher to mark them. There was a girl in my class who was a complete perfectionist and wouldn't get them marked unless she was 100% happy with them and without feedback she was never able to improve

Look after yourself this summer, get lots of rest.

tldr: focus on your weak spots and write essays in that but be careful not to do it and take care of yourself and think outside the box for how you can improve your essays in more ways than writing over and over

Thank you so much, but in terms of the feedback thing...my teachers wont do that for me in the hols...and i find it so hard with eng lit to mark and give areas of improvement to urself..i could give them after the hols though......I really appreciate ur tips..i will def do the planning thing...i was thinking of writing the essays and then editing=- so in timed condition first and then i would try to mark it and then rewrite---i dont think i should do it for unseen but for all the others...cause that might help fix my AO1 and AO5--what do u think about that?........And do u have any general advise about eng lit a-level revision etc....i havent yet done proper notes as this yr i just did summary notes.......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending