The Student Room Group

Personal statement - no in person work experience

Is it possible to write a decent personal statement for accounting and finance bsc for a Russel university like queen Mary without in person work experience at a firm? (I know lot of ps mention their experiences of this)

I either missed deadlines for it or I can’t attend the work exp on the dates given and now I’m going into year 13..
Hi there! I recently got into the university of Edinburgh with no in-person work experience. I just mainly talked about books I’d read about linguistics/online courses I’d done on the subject as well as my other hobbies such as fencing. Whilst having some kind of work experience where you’ve shown your practical knowledge is a plus, it’s not the be all and end all. My advice to get something solid in is to do an online course. I did a few via a website called Futurelearn. I never got any certificates or anything for them but I completed the work and then learned something new.

In my book, as long as you’ve done some reading/learning around the subject and can show that it’s something you want to learn about then you should be good. :smile:
You don't need work exp to apply for undergrad courses. Just use MOOC's, wider reading/viewing, relevant societies/volunteering, external lectures/visits etc.
Original post by Skittles_beans
Is it possible to write a decent personal statement for accounting and finance bsc for a Russel university like queen Mary without in person work experience at a firm? (I know lot of ps mention their experiences of this)

I either missed deadlines for it or I can’t attend the work exp on the dates given and now I’m going into year 13..

I believe you don't need to have work experience. A lot of students would be studying A levels or equivalents full time and wouldn't have had time for a part time job on the side due to stress, anxiety etc. or living in a place where there aren't a lot of opportunities for younger people. For Russel group unis I'm not sure if it would be the same but I can't imagine it wouldn't be because students are considered employment. Maybe get in contact with some universities and ask directly!

Hope this helps,
Dom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending