The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

How to Save Money and Eat Well While Studying at University

Hey everyone!

As a second year cyber security student at De Montfort University, I know firsthand how challenging it can be to balance cooking and eating well with all the demands of student life. Today, I want to share some of my top tips for cooking at university, including how to save money, eat healthily, and make the most of your shared kitchen space.

First off, it's important to note that I share a kitchen with four other people in my student accommodation, which can be a bit hectic at times. However, one of the benefits of sharing a kitchen is that you can learn from each other and try new things. For example, I've had other international students living with me who have taught me how to cook some of their national dishes, which has been really fun and rewarding.

One of the biggest benefits of cooking for yourself at university is that it can save you a lot of money compared to ordering food from deliveries or eating out. I personally like to buy my groceries from Lidl, which is located near the campus. They offer high-quality products at a low price point, which can be a great way to save money on your grocery bill. When I'm really short on time, I'll sometimes grab a meal deal from Tesco next to the campus, but I try to avoid this as much as possible.

Now, let's talk about batch cooking. This is one of my top tips for busy students who want to eat well without spending too much time in the kitchen. Batch cooking involves preparing a large amount of food in advance and then portioning it out for individual meals throughout the week. This can be a great way to save time and ensure that you always have a healthy meal on hand.

There are many advantages to batch cooking. First, it can save you a lot of time and energy compared to cooking individual meals every day. Second, it can help you stick to a healthy diet by ensuring that you always have nutritious food on hand. And third, it can save you money by allowing you to buy ingredients in bulk and use them for multiple meals.

When it comes to eating a balanced and cheap diet at university, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, try to incorporate a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins into your meals. You can buy these items in bulk and use them for multiple meals throughout the week. Second, try to avoid processed and packaged foods as much as possible, as they can be expensive and often lack nutrients. And third, don't be afraid to get creative with your cooking! Look up recipes online or experiment with new ingredients to keep things interesting.

Overall, cooking at university can be a great way to save money, eat healthily, and learn new skills. Remember to make the most of your shared kitchen space, try new things, and prioritize batch cooking to save time and energy. And if you have any questions or tips of your own, please feel free to share them in the comments below!

Best of luck to you all.

- Ilya :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending