The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Is a placement year worth it?

Hi, I was advised against doing a placement year for animation because I was told it’s not worth it. But I want to apply for it now but I’ve already sent in my application. What do I do?

Also is a placement year worth it?
Original post by liveforweekends
Hi, I was advised against doing a placement year for animation because I was told it’s not worth it. But I want to apply for it now but I’ve already sent in my application. What do I do?

Also is a placement year worth it?

Hey there 😀

Do not worry about the application. You will still be able to apply for the placement year. In my case, I also did not apply for a degree with this option. However, if your course approves of the placement year, you are encouraged to go and are supported on your journey. The only thing you need to remember is to start looking and applying at the beginning of your second year 🙂

Do not forget that there are Placement Teams at each faculty and general Careers Support available at DMU. They were a tremendous help when I was writing my CV and cover letters. Apart from that, you can also have a mock interview with them or get professional career advice.

For my placement year, I am doing a student exchange at the University of Deusto in Spain. I am not going to lie or overreact by saying that I am living my dream and having the best time of my life. It has been a transformative experience, providing the opportunity to immerse myself in a new culture, broaden my perspectives, and make international connections. It fosters personal growth, independence, and adaptability, which are traits valuable for employers in an increasingly globalised world.

If you would rather opt for work experience, then you would look for a placement role. It is definitely a worthwhile investment in your development and future career. The experience offers invaluable benefits, such as gaining practical skills, expanding professional networks, and enhancing your CV. Additionally, the connections made during a placement can lead to future employment opportunities.

No matter which option sounds better, either is a marvellous adventure that you will benefit from in the short and long term 😀

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending