The Student Room Group

Staying at home for uni or moving to accomodation for uni?

What would you guys decide to do, i plan on moving out which gives more chance to be more social and make friends. On the other hand it might be tough to live by myself, and share a kitchen whilst trying to keep a budget on spending things.
Original post by Anonymous
What would you guys decide to do, i plan on moving out which gives more chance to be more social and make friends. On the other hand it might be tough to live by myself, and share a kitchen whilst trying to keep a budget on spending things.

Personally I would always lean towards moving out. However, I made a lengthy post on this topic some years ago, find it here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=79196192&postcount=2
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Personally I would always lean towards moving out. However, I made a lengthy post on this topic some years ago, find it here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=79196192&postcount=2

Alright thanks i will

Hey!

I know for a lot of people this is a big decision they have to make. I personally moved out and even though it was a learning curve to learn how to budget and cook etc, but at the same time the independence is actually quite fun, as well as being able to come home after a night out and not face your parents. It is definitely a very social way of living but you also have your room if you need some time by yourself.

Hope that helps,
Kat

Anon,

If you are proactive with the people you share with, then you may be able to save money by sharing the cooking. By eating meals together, you can save money and time.

Another way to save money is to avoid having lots of duplicates in the kitchen, e.g. everyone having a loaf of bread in the fridge, everyone having a tub of butter and everyone having a jar of strawberry jam!

By sharing items that you all commonly use, you can save space in your fridge and reduce food waste e.g. mouldy bread, gone off milk etc. You could even have a range of sandwich spreads that you can share rather than having to use the same spread or having to spend lots of money buying different spreads.

By designing a meal plan for yourself, you could also save money. By planning what you will eat for dinner on Monday, Tuesday, etc… you can manage your costs by buying what you need, cooking in bulk and freezing leftovers.

It might be an idea to start looking at recipes which you could cook at uni which do not require too many ingredients (or too much time) but are filling and nutritional.

If you choose to stay at home, then you will have to consider the commute. How long is likely to take on a good and on a bad day? Is going by car or public transport both viable options?

How easy is it to study at home? If it has been difficult to concentrate or to have space to work this year, then it might be an idea to look at student accommodation.

There is also the matter of social events and being able to stay for them without thinking about the commute home, where you can dump your stuff, what time you will get home or whether your parents will be annoyed if you get back late.

It is not easy to be a student and there are additional costs when you do not live at home, but there also disadvantages to staying at home.

Weigh both options up and see and what you think.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending