The Student Room Group

foyle young poets 2023

hey did anyone else submit to foyle this year? i entered 21 poems about various themes like culture, gender, and autonomy. just wondering if any others participated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I also submitted, I sent two poems. We’ll hopefully be hearing something from them soon, the website said winners will be contacted in September but they didn’t specify when. Good luck!
Reply 2
yeayea i'm so anxious aaaaaaaaaa - what were your poems about?
Reply 3
One of mine was about my culture and one was about the treatment of women in the public eye, your themes sound really interesting :smile:
Reply 4
I emailed them asking about around when they start notifying people because it’s a different time in September every year, and they said ‘we’ll be publicly announcing our winners on The Poetry Society website in October, and we'll email submitters the outcome of their submission then too.’ I’m a bit confused because I thought it was meant to be September? I don’t know if they were trying to imply that winners have already been contacted or that everyone will find out the same time in October, they didn’t directly answer my question
Reply 5
Original post by a_jjj
One of mine was about my culture and one was about the treatment of women in the public eye, your themes sound really interesting :smile:

ah good luck! love reading work that incorporates those themes
Reply 6
Original post by a_jjj
I emailed them asking about around when they start notifying people because it’s a different time in September every year, and they said ‘we’ll be publicly announcing our winners on The Poetry Society website in October, and we'll email submitters the outcome of their submission then too.’ I’m a bit confused because I thought it was meant to be September? I don’t know if they were trying to imply that winners have already been contacted or that everyone will find out the same time in October, they didn’t directly answer my question

hmm weird... yea in all the previous foyle threads on like CC or wtv it was in september. strange that they're pushing it to october -- and i hope the winners haven't been contacted already lol
Reply 7
if it’s october i guess it’s just because the judges are taking a while - it’s a lot entries for just two judges. i was worrying the winners might’ve already been contacted but from previous years on cc it seems like the emails are never all sent really early in september, they’re sent in waves over a week or two. last year some people were contacted in pretty late september. the themes of your poems seem really interesting too :smile:
Reply 8
the poetry society just replied to someone on twitter saying they’ll be contacting entrants this month, they didn’t specify when
Reply 9
i just checked my junk emails and got an email from the young poets network on the 8th sept saying they’re hoping to get back to winners around mid october - so I guess any time between now and then
Original post by a_jjj
i just checked my junk emails and got an email from the young poets network on the 8th sept saying they’re hoping to get back to winners around mid october - so I guess any time between now and then

this is kind of odd because I’ve just checked my email and I didn’t get this? did it say anything else? sorry just curious
Reply 11
i think i got it because i signed up to the young poets network mailing list, the email wasn’t specifically about foyle, it was announcing the latest young poets network writing challenge. it was emailed the 8th sept, it just said near the end that foyle received over 15,000 entries, the judges are busy reading them and they are hoping to get back to winners around mid october
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 12
however, on the 15th sept the poetry society replied to someone on twitter saying that winners will be contacted this month
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by a_jjj
however, on the 15th sept the poetry society replied to someone on twitter saying that winners will be contacted this month

well I guess they’re poets lmfaoo idk what I expected. good luck though
Reply 14
thanks, good luck to you as well!
Original post by not_lasagna
this is kind of odd because I’ve just checked my email and I didn’t get this? did it say anything else? sorry just curious

I got this as well! It's just in the Young Poets newsletter. To quote:
Original post by testy_girl
I got this as well! It's just in the Young Poets newsletter. To quote:

What did it say??
Reply 17
It said ‘We can now reveal that this year's Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award received over 15,000 entries from young poets all over the world. If we printed them all out and laid them end-to-end, we'd be able to pave a track of young people's poems around 5 kilometres long (we haven't tested this; please don't try it at home either). Judges Jane Yeh and Jonathan Edwards are busy reading the poems and making their shortlists: we're hoping to get back to winners around mid-October so please hold tight!’
are there any other poetry competitions like this
Reply 19
If you’re from the UK there’s the Christopher Tower Poetry competition (ages 16-18, opens in October closes in Feb) The Waltham Forest Poetry prize (closes 9th Oct, open to anyone worldwide) The Solstice prize (closes 31st Oct, for poetry or prose about nature) The Elmbridge Literary competition (closes 23rd Feb, open to anyone worldwide, for poems or short stories on the theme of Fame)

Quick Reply

Latest