The Student Room Group

help with villain motivation

hi i'm trying to write a fantasy based book but am struggling with motivation for my villain. I want her to be the ruler of this kingdom and is at war with another kingdom because she is trying to steal one of their sacred posessions (an ancient book or a crown etc). I just can't find a good enough reason as to why she would want it so desperately seeing as all the characters have supernatural abilities. Any ideas for a good reason why my villain desperately wants this item and not just because she wants to rule the world?
Reply 1
Original post by georgiagreen18
hi i'm trying to write a fantasy based book but am struggling with motivation for my villain. I want her to be the ruler of this kingdom and is at war with another kingdom because she is trying to steal one of their sacred posessions (an ancient book or a crown etc). I just can't find a good enough reason as to why she would want it so desperately seeing as all the characters have supernatural abilities. Any ideas for a good reason why my villain desperately wants this item and not just because she wants to rule the world?

she wants power, to be in control of everything, and the book helps her achieve that. You mentioned everyone has supernatural abilities, then they must have a weakness. I thought maybe the book could contain spells of how to control people. I'm not very creative when it comes to writing so I hope this might've inspired you with a better idea. Good luck on your book!
Original post by georgiagreen18

Hello @georgiagreen18

I don't know the plot or background context or geograohy of this world so I'll give some questions to consider for characterisation.
What draws her specifically to that sacred possession?
Why that specific kingdom over a different one?
Is there a history of conflict between the two kingdoms at war or were there friendlier connections prior to her rise to the throne?
What weakness does she have?
What would the possession grant her that she doesn't have already?
What is she afraid of?
What is she not afraid of?
Does she have any connections within the kingdom?
Is she a dictatorial villain or a cunning/cold ruler villain? Are the public aware of her deeper motivations?

Hope this helps,
Dom
English Literature and Creative Writing Student Ambassador
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello @georgiagreen18

I don't know the plot or background context or geograohy of this world so I'll give some questions to consider for characterisation.
What draws her specifically to that sacred possession?
Why that specific kingdom over a different one?
Is there a history of conflict between the two kingdoms at war or were there friendlier connections prior to her rise to the throne?
What weakness does she have?
What would the possession grant her that she doesn't have already?
What is she afraid of?
What is she not afraid of?
Does she have any connections within the kingdom?
Is she a dictatorial villain or a cunning/cold ruler villain? Are the public aware of her deeper motivations?

Hope this helps,
Dom
English Literature and Creative Writing Student Ambassador

Hi to answer some of ur questions:

Kingdom A (the main characters kingdom) have been at war with Kingdom B previously but they made a treaty which included peace and security. But then the queen (kingdom A kings sister at the time) wanted to use Kingdom B's sacred possession for (insert reason) which Kingdom A's King denied so she killed him but made it look like Kingdom B killed the King which then sparked another war which has been ongoing as the Queen is searching Kingdom B for the sacred posession using violent methods. But all the people of Kingdom A just believe that they are at war because Kingdom B are the bad guys trying to take over and build an empire. They also have powers but the main characters power will be something rare which will at the end conquer this battle but theres so many things missing at the moment to make it a good plot. thanks for the questions though, it helps a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending