The Student Room Group

I want to Join the ACS society at university but i am white.

im starting university in september and i was thinking about joining acs. I keep seeing it on tiktok where it seems like a very social community, with game nights, cooking meets and overall just seems like a vibe. I also like some of the culture such as music and it normally is one of the biggest societies at uni so it gives me greater opportunity to find friends.

I know that the unis say anyone can join but on an ethical and moral standpoint is it ok for me to join, as i havent had the same experiences and dont have much in depth into the culture than others?
Anon,

It's great that you have an interest in African-Caribbean culture but some people might find it strange that you want to join ACS (they may feel that it should be exclusively for black people and they should have a space which is there own) while others might think it's great and be really supportive and keen to share and celebrate their culture with you.

You could try reaching out to the group beforehand to find out what events are taking place in the next few weeks. Some might feel more or less appropriate to attend e.g. a Caribbean food night might be one to go to (where people are welcoming and are happy for different races to attend), whereas a debate on whether the descendants of slave owners should pay reparations to the Caribbean community would be a more tense atmosphere with differing views and some strong opinions. You might find yourself unwittingly being the spokesperson for the whole white community/scapegoat/villain etc...

It might be easier to attend ACS events with black friends or a black significant other, but you should also feel free to go on your own. You will be able to sense whether you are welcomed or not or whether the atmosphere feels uncomfortable.

Finally, if and when you go to events, just be yourself. If you have an interest in the food or music that's great, and that will naturally show, but don't feel like you have to impress or prove that you are 'down with' black culture, either people will cringe, feel like you are trying to steal their culture or not take you seriously. They will respect you if you are yourself and honest!

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending