The Student Room Group

Oxbridge tsa

Has anyone started revising for the TSA in October? If so what are your tips? I really want to improve on the first section as I am getting average results.
Reply 1
Some advice
- read through the question guide if you haven’t already, it’s particularly useful for learning the Critical Thinking question types and what strategies to use for them
- practice as much as you can, use the TSA past papers or BMAT section 1 past papers if you need more as they are pretty much the same. practice to time wherever you can then go back and review what you got wrong
- see if you can identify any patterns in your performance e.g. what type of question you usually get wrong, so you can practice it more or potentially know what you might be better off guessing to save time in the actual exam. Similarly, try to notice patterns in the kind of questions that come up - there are often questions year on year that have similar structure and require similar solutions in the Problem Solving part so spotting these might help you if they appear again.
- don’t be afraid to guess. there’s no negative marking so never leave an answer blank, try and rule out some options if you can but if you’re pushed for time just make sure you’ve picked an answer even if it’s totally random! obviously the aim is to be answering as many as possible without having to guess but remember there is no penalty for doing so if you get really stuck
- use the explained answer papers if you haven’t already - go through each answer in detail after trying the papers so you can get a better idea of the kind of reasoning they expect for different types of question.

Timed practice is the best way to prepare for TSA section 1 in my opinion - you’ve got plenty of time left before the exam and plenty of past papers are available so regular practice will allow you to build the skills required for a good score over time!
Reply 2
Original post by eeeli
Some advice
- read through the question guide if you haven’t already, it’s particularly useful for learning the Critical Thinking question types and what strategies to use for them
- practice as much as you can, use the TSA past papers or BMAT section 1 past papers if you need more as they are pretty much the same. practice to time wherever you can then go back and review what you got wrong
- see if you can identify any patterns in your performance e.g. what type of question you usually get wrong, so you can practice it more or potentially know what you might be better off guessing to save time in the actual exam. Similarly, try to notice patterns in the kind of questions that come up - there are often questions year on year that have similar structure and require similar solutions in the Problem Solving part so spotting these might help you if they appear again.
- don’t be afraid to guess. there’s no negative marking so never leave an answer blank, try and rule out some options if you can but if you’re pushed for time just make sure you’ve picked an answer even if it’s totally random! obviously the aim is to be answering as many as possible without having to guess but remember there is no penalty for doing so if you get really stuck
- use the explained answer papers if you haven’t already - go through each answer in detail after trying the papers so you can get a better idea of the kind of reasoning they expect for different types of question.

Timed practice is the best way to prepare for TSA section 1 in my opinion - you’ve got plenty of time left before the exam and plenty of past papers are available so regular practice will allow you to build the skills required for a good score over time!

Thank you so much for this in depth advice. Much appreciated!
Reply 3
Hi i’ve started re sing but I keep on getting low scores between 50-55 :frown: and idk how to improve , it’s so difficult
Reply 4
Original post by Anyazz
Thank you so much for this in depth advice. Much appreciated!

hey ik you sent me a pm about econ and philosophy at lse but i can’t seem to send one back. if you want we can talk on insta!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending