The Student Room Group

Need some technical advice

I had a reddit account which I deleted in March. Because of a struggling p*** addiction, I went on Reddit seeking for help, however that backfired when someone in my school found out all the posts and comments about this issue and told everyone. Although it has been some five months since, I can still deeply experience the effects and trauma as I am being isolated, judged and shunned mercilessly. However, I have decided to cut off communication with almost everyone and lead a life of pure solitude and seclusion. It is my last year of school and I want to fully focus on studies and not become a scapegoat for drama or allow myself to get hurt emotionally. Due to which I have decided that before the school year starts (3 weeks from now), I will delete all social media accounts.

On to my question, that was for context. Before deleting my reddit account, I deleted all comments and all posts that I had made. I had even sent a GDPR request, and I got confirmation that my data has been erased from reddit databases. However, even today when I search my reddit name up on search engines, a lot of the deleted content from reddit shows up. Upon emailing Reddit, they say that the content has been deleted from reddit and I should ask search engines to remove the search results. Upon doing that too, search engines tell me that I should contact the webmaster of the publishing content and request them to remove it. In the end, those links remain. Some did get removed under GDPR requests though, however this change is only reflected in GDPR member states. This process has happened so many times that I have lost track.

From my understanding (to find the webmaster, I used the method in this link: Contact a website owner - Google Search Help) the webmaster is AWS (please correct me if I am wrong). I have once again written emails a few days ago to Reddit, let us hope for the best. My question - should I contact the webmaster to remove the search results, since a lot of the emails that have been written have not yet been responded to and it has been quite a bit, or should I just leave this as is?

I truly apologize for the repetition of this issue. I really do. A lot of life lessons have been learnt, especially knowing what a double-edged sword social media is, and its best to live a life of true simplicity. As I recover from the past including my struggles, I now truly appreciate my peace of mind, and am able to have much greater productivity and be at peace with myself. But I am getting back up now, and now I really know who stood by me and who didn't.
What do you mean by “when I search my reddit name on search engines, a lot of the deleted content from reddit shows up”? Are you saying when you press the link for that thread, you can see your posts that you thought you were deleted and they are under your username?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
What do you mean by “when I search my reddit name on search engines, a lot of the deleted content from reddit shows up”? Are you saying when you press the link for that thread, you can see your posts that you thought you were deleted and they are under your username?

Yes that is what I mean. Although the title shows and username shows deleted and removed, but like, when I see on the search engines the title of the post comes up, including my username.
If you are suggesting cache removal I did that, but it still doesn't remove the results from the search queries.
Sorry that my description caused confusion
Yes that is what I mean. Although the title shows and username shows deleted and removed, but like, when I see on the search engines the title of the post comes up, including my username.
If you are suggesting cache removal I did that, but it still doesn't remove the results from the search queries.
Sorry that my description caused confusion

So just the title comes up, but not the contents of the post?
Reply 4
So just the title comes up, but not the contents of the post?

Apologies for my late response.
Yes the title comes up, along with u/deleted and content deleted. But there are two caveats.
One of them is the fact that they were stored in internet archive. but I requested internet archive to delete them, which they did. Good faith exception.
the second one is cache. for some links the cache still exists, for some the cache has been updated/deleted, which removes my trace.

the thing is, there are in addition links that I interacted and didn't interact with. some on the subject and some not. and i want those to get removed in addition. This is why I rather want to block any reddit search results that come up under my account name, or at least majority of it. now that people know i struggled with this, they will go to any length and conclusions.

sorry if this sounds too complex.
Apologies for my late response.
Yes the title comes up, along with u/deleted and content deleted. But there are two caveats.
One of them is the fact that they were stored in internet archive. but I requested internet archive to delete them, which they did. Good faith exception.
the second one is cache. for some links the cache still exists, for some the cache has been updated/deleted, which removes my trace.

the thing is, there are in addition links that I interacted and didn't interact with. some on the subject and some not. and i want those to get removed in addition. This is why I rather want to block any reddit search results that come up under my account name, or at least majority of it. now that people know i struggled with this, they will go to any length and conclusions.

sorry if this sounds too complex.

I think they will get removed from Google when they updated their servers. It takes time for it to update.
Reply 6
I think they will get removed from Google when they updated their servers. It takes time for it to update.

I also thought the same. It has been so many months. No changes.
I even asked for outdated content removal, it is always denied.
This is why I thought of contacting the webmaster, but I am still looking for other solutions. That is like a literal last resort.
Reply 7
Moreover what bugs me the most is the fact that there are other URLs which I do not even recall interacting with, but for some reason they appear. Which causes great discomfort.

On an another note.
Sadly I have lost a lot of people. And I do not think that is going to change. Because many here are damn egoistic. So I know that sadly this is here to stay, no matter how optimistic I be. But at least I can do this for my peace of mind. We all make mistakes. But why judge someone who at least was upfront and courageous about it :smile:
Reply 8
Some news on the front.
Got back a reply from Reddit, they said they have no control over how those links appear in the search engines. I upon digging found out Google's Remove Outdated Content Tool. I have done checks with different VPNs and refreshing cookies (secret/incognito mode). Looks like there is barely any links up there anymore. Progress on the front.

As for Bing, that is a problem, as its tool of removing cache somehow and for some reason refuses to work with me, so for time being I have filed a GDPR request, I will see what to do later.

I have also dealt with Yandex, and now those links also no longer appear there. :smile:
do you have an update for us?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending