The Student Room Group

Only allowed to take 8 GCSE's

Hello, I am in year 9, moving in to year 10, and my school has decided this year that they are cutting gcses down so we can only complete 8. I have spent ages planning for the 10 options my school usually allows us to take but they are stopping us from doing it.
I (a social awkward 14 year old) started a petition to do more GCSE's and the school are letting me (only me) do 9 with extra study in breaks and lunch. Am I at a disadvantage compared to the year 10s at my school who get to complete 10?
Reply 1
You should experience no difference in treatment.

You can still progress onto most routes with 5 incl Maths and English.

The only reason why schools commonly enter students for many (10+) is for their own results, for example ebac. However what some schools are now realising is that with less GCSEs, people achieve higher grades.
Original post by AdolpheAudusson
As far as I know, no, you’re not at a disadvantage. Make sure when your reference is written for university application at the start of the A2 year, that it’s pointed out that you could only do a maximum of 9 GCSE subjects and even then that was only because you did one of them in your own time. You should also mention that in your Personal Statement as it will count very much in your favour that you had the motivation and commitment to study another subject in your own time. The same idea applies to A level application, again you shouldn’t be at a disadvantage as you’ve shown the enthusiasm to study a ninth subject in your own time.

Thank you! I was really worried, I will write that in my application for further education x
You definitely aren't at a disadvantage for college or university, don't worry :smile:
by doing 9, you have the advantage of doing more than everybody in year 10, & having more time to study the individual topics

Quick Reply

Latest