The Student Room Group

Bridging books

What's the best bridging book
between A-level and going into first year of degree, so after completing Maths A level and before starting my Maths degree. Thank you.
Original post by VKA
between A-level and going into first year of degree, so after completing Maths A level and before starting my Maths degree. Thank you.

How to Think Like a Mathematician - Kevin Houston

Bridging the Gap to University Mathematics - Martin Gould, Edward Hurst

How to Think About Analysis - Lara Alcock

How to Study for a Mathematics Degree - Lara Alcock

These are only a few suggestions I would check out in your position there are lots of these around. Pick whichever one looks best for you. Some books here are meant to be read casually while others here are full of problems to practice. Check out these authors to see if they have something better for you as well.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
How to Think Like a Mathematician - Kevin Houston

Bridging the Gap to University Mathematics - Martin Gould, Edward Hurst

How to Think About Analysis - Lara Alcock

How to Study for a Mathematics Degree - Lara Alcock

These are only a few suggestions I would check out in your position there are lots of these around. Pick whichever one looks best for you. Some books here are meant to be read casually while others here are full of problems to practice. Check out these authors to see if they have something better for you as well.

Brill. Thanks for taking the time to reply. V
Reply 3
Original post by VKA

Did you do further maths?

Adding onto the ones RDKGames has suggested(I've heard a lot of good things about Lara alcocks books so I'd recommend checking them out).

Richard Earl- "towards higher mathematics" has a lot of practise problems in it.

Mary hart- "guide to analysis"

Alan beardon- "algebra and geometry"

The last 2 aren't bridging books as such rather first year textbooks but might be interesting if you want to take a look ahead.

Also, depending on the university you're going to there's a chance they'll send transition work for you to do before arriving. Mine sent it early September
Reply 4
Ah, excellent, thank you. Good to hear about possible transition work. V

Quick Reply

Latest