The Student Room Group

How many of you have 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) set up for instagram and Faceboo

I stupidly fell victim to a guess the number in the picture for $1,000 scam where you have to change your Instagram login email address to the email address that the scammer/hacker gives. He was being very pushy and said that after 5 minutes I can change it back to my email. The whole time I thought I was talking to my ex-boss as I didn’t realise that he could have been hacked. 1 month later and 7 video selfie verifications later I got my account back.

When I got it back I turned off the hacker’s 2fa and changed the phone number and email address back to mine and then set up my own 2fa. I then set up 2fa on Facebook too and all other online accounts I have which have this option.

Before this in incident I didn’t even know that Instagram and Facebook have a 2fa option. I also didn’t know that we were living in a global scam pandemic and that scams are literally everywhere including Facebook and Instagram which include account takeover scams and that many accounts particularly on Instagram are getting hacked.

I’m just curious, have you guys have set up 2fa on your Facebook and Instagram and how many of you have done so?

For whoever has 2fa set up, how did you come to know about it?

Also, what form(s) of 2fa have you set up?

Mobile phone and/or WhatsApp and/or authentication app eg google authenticator?

I find it very strange that I had never even heard of it before. I knew that Instagram accounts can be set to private but that’s very easy to spot because many people have set their account to private and you need to send them a follow request on Instagram. I also knew that Facebook had privacy settings but didn’t know that it had 2fa. But on the other hand I feel that when I scroll and browse through Facebook and Instagram 2fa isn’t really mentioned anywhere and I guess it’s rare for me to go onto Settings the vast majority of times I am on Facebook and Instagram.

I didn’t even know that WhatsApp had 2fa (which I have now set up). I of course wish I had 2fa set up on everything long before but I honestly had no idea that it even existed.
Reply 1
Anyone

Original post by midnight999
I stupidly fell victim to a guess the number in the picture for $1,000 scam where you have to change your Instagram login email address to the email address that the scammer/hacker gives. He was being very pushy and said that after 5 minutes I can change it back to my email. The whole time I thought I was talking to my ex-boss as I didn’t realise that he could have been hacked. 1 month later and 7 video selfie verifications later I got my account back.

When I got it back I turned off the hacker’s 2fa and changed the phone number and email address back to mine and then set up my own 2fa. I then set up 2fa on Facebook too and all other online accounts I have which have this option.

Before this in incident I didn’t even know that Instagram and Facebook have a 2fa option. I also didn’t know that we were living in a global scam pandemic and that scams are literally everywhere including Facebook and Instagram which include account takeover scams and that many accounts particularly on Instagram are getting hacked.

I’m just curious, have you guys have set up 2fa on your Facebook and Instagram and how many of you have done so?

I find it very strange that I had never even heard of it before. I knew that Instagram accounts can be set to private but that’s very easy to spot because many people have set their account to private and you need to send them a follow request on Instagram. I also knew that Facebook had privacy settings but didn’t know that it had 2fa. But on the other hand I feel that when I scroll and browse through Facebook and Instagram 2fa isn’t really mentioned anywhere and I guess it’s rare for me to go onto Settings the vast majority of times I am on Facebook and Instagram.

I didn’t even know that WhatsApp had 2fa (which I have now set up). I of course wish I had 2fa set up on everything long before but I honestly had no idea that it even existed.
Reply 2
I put it on Facebook and WhatsApp after my Facebook account was hacked. I didn't know it was a thing until I thought about how could I try to stop this from happening again. I also check what devices are logged into facebook and log out of any that I am not 100% sure are mine.
Reply 3
How did your Facebook get hacked?

How were you able to recover it and how long after it being hacked were you able to recover it?

During the time it was hacked was a lot of damage done to your account in terms of people blocking you and unfriending you and were a lot of scam messages sent to your Facebook friends?

Why didn’t you set up 2FA for your Instagram or do you not have Instagram?

Original post by bing1234
I put it on Facebook and WhatsApp after my Facebook account was hacked. I didn't know it was a thing until I thought about how could I try to stop this from happening again. I also check what devices are logged into facebook and log out of any that I am not 100% sure are mine.
Reply 4
How did your Facebook get hacked?

How were you able to recover it and how long after it being hacked were you able to recover it?

During the time it was hacked was a lot of damage done to your account in terms of people blocking you and unfriending you and were a lot of scam messages sent to your Facebook friends?

Why didn’t you set up 2FA for your Instagram or do you not have Instagram?

I clicked on a scam message sent from messenger thinking that someone has actually wanted to send me it. My account was then sending scams to other people who I was friends with on Facebook .Apart from that no other damage was done. It didn't take too long to recover it. I do not have Instagram
Reply 5
Original post by bing1234
I clicked on a scam message sent from messenger thinking that someone has actually wanted to send me it. My account was then sending scams to other people who I was friends with on Facebook .Apart from that no other damage was done. It didn't take too long to recover it. I do not have Instagram

Was the scam message sent from messenger from your friend's account?
If yes then was your friend hacked or was it an account created by a scammer pretending to be your friend?

Were other people hacked through your account?

How exactly did you recover your account?

Was it through video selfie verification?
If yes then how many video selfie verifications did you have to do before you could recover your account?

If no then how did you recover your account?

How many days after being hacked were you able to get your account back (or how many hours after being hacked were you able to get your account back)?

Also did you set up 2FA through SMS or through an Authenticator app?

I set mine up through Google Authenticator as that using an Authenticator app is the most recommended method of 2FA.

I always have 2 factor authorisation on, normal I just google ‘does __ have 2 factor authorisation’.
Reply 7
Original post by BankaiGintoki
I always have 2 factor authorisation on, normal I just google ‘does __ have 2 factor authorisation’.

Oh wow that’s cool. I wish I did that too. I think when I first started using Instagram and Facebook I had never even heard of 2fa in general.

I think it’s only some banks who publicise the fact that they have 2fa by making it compulsory but since it’s optional on social media, social media sites don’t explicitly publicise that they even have it as an option.

For instagram and Facebook as well as other social media and non social media apps do you use 2fa through an authentication app like Google Authenticator?

I use 2fa through Google Authenticator for instagram, Facebook and other apps as I’ve read it is the most recommended method of 2fa and is safer than SMS 2fa.

Quick Reply

Latest