The Student Room Group

Applying for Dentistry with an access course

old

mind changed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by KyleH123
Hi guys! I just have a couple questions in regards to dentistry:

After leaving school at 16 (I'm now 19) with only one GCSE in Business studies, I want to go back into education and study dentistry.

I have been advised by my local college that an access course in life & biological sciences at distinction would be sufficient to study dentistry at my local university (and some others). However, seeing all of the amazing grades you guys achieved at a-levels, it seems my odds of even getting an interview would be slim. My local university said that so long as I resit GCSE English and achieve at least a B on top of the distinction in the Access course they said I could apply. My backup is Dental hygiene & therapy. So, I have a few questions & I would really appreciate any input!

What path should I take? Resit my GCSES then do A-levels?

My local university said that so long as I resit GCSE english and achieved at least a B on top of the distinction in the Access course they said I could apply.

Just looking for any advice really.

Thanks guys!

http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/MSC%20DSC%20Guidance%20on%20Access%20to%20medicine%20and%20dentistry%20courses.pdf

There you go! Scroll to the bottom for a list of Dental schools that accept Access courses.

You'll find that Dental schools are very picky about Access courses, and so I highly doubt that an Access to Science course would be sufficient. You should be studying an Access to Medicine course, and be aiming to achieve 45/45 Distinction grades. As for GCSE's, I believe that some Dental schools ask for A grades in Maths, English & Science.

Even at that, you'll be up against students who have obtained A*/A grades in the majority of their GCSE's. You'll also need a very good UKCAT score to be considered.

Dental Hygiene & Therapy is also very competitive, but you won't need 45/45 distinctions and an Access to Science course would be sufficient in most cases.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks Kaeden - I live in Wales and I don't believe there are any college or universities here that host an access to medicine/dentistry course, maybe my local university (
Cardiff) would be more willing accept a science access course because of this)? Perhaps I could resit my GCSES while doing the access course. I haven't commited to starting the access course, maybe I could just do GCSEs then a-levels? Would I be at a disadvantage because of my age and/or the fact that I had to resit GCSES?
Reply 3
Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply 4
Thanks Kaeden - I live in Wales and I don't believe there are any college or universities here that host an access to medicine/dentistry course, maybe my local university (
Cardiff) would be more willing accept a science access course because of this)? Perhaps I could resit my GCSES while doing the access course. I haven't commited to starting the access course, maybe I could just do GCSEs then a-levels? Would I be at a disadvantage because of my age and/or the fact that I had to resit GCSES?

No problem :smile:

Cardiff's requirements for Dentistry: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/admissions-criteria/dentistry

Cardiff accepts Access to Science, but only for the six year Dentistry course. Plus, you need A's in GCSE Maths, English, Science, and Additional Science.

I think the GCSE's, the Access (Since you need mostly distinctions), as well as the UKCAT would be too much for you to take within one year. /:
Hi, my name's Ali and I'm a final year dental student at King's College London. I'm helping run a course that you might want to take a look at if you're applying to study Dentistry: www.dent-gate.co.uk

Dentist for a Day is a one day course for year 10 to 13 students that covers a huge amount of information from core dental science, what to expect from dentistry at uni and an overview of dentistry as a career. We've also included advanced practical sessions focused on developing manual dexterity and a comprehensive workshop on the admissions process. Last year's cohort found the practical sessions and admissions workshops very useful and we received excellent reviews for the course as a whole.

For more information have a look at the flyer I've attached and visit the website.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! I'll try and get back to you as soon as possible.
Reply 6
Anyone in a similar boat to me?
Anyone in a similar boat to me?

I would just like to say good luck - I admire that you want to go back to studying and make something of your life.

My suggestion would be - go and do several GCSEs - maths science english and get good results. It will get you into a learning mode ( if you want to do dentistry - you will need that believe me) DO them in a year if you can - they are not difficult.

Then move - leave and go to a bigger area where you can get an access to science course or do A levels - it will give you so many more choices - you may find you don't want to do dentistry. The fact that you will be 21/22 will not be a problem.

Good luck
Reply 8
Aww that really put a smile on my face. I live in Cardiff at the minute so I think I'd be able to find a suitable access course. Thanks for the reply.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I would just like to say good luck - I admire that you want to go back to studying and make something of your life.

My suggestion would be - go and do several GCSEs - maths science english and get good results. It will get you into a learning mode ( if you want to do dentistry - you will need that believe me) DO them in a year if you can - they are not difficult.

Then move - leave and go to a bigger area where you can get an access to science course or do A levels - it will give you so many more choices - you may find you don't want to do dentistry. The fact that you will be 21/22 will not be a problem.

Good luck
Reply 9
you still alive mate ?

Quick Reply

Latest