The Student Room Group

- Tips for revision + going up the school thread -

I've seen so many posts recently of Y7-Y10 asking about things to help, and prepare. I've so far completed two of my GCSE's, and are going into Y11; however, I thought it might be helpful to share tips I'm using + have found helpful. I'd really encourage you to add your own, and we can create a tips thread, rather than the frequent posts with 2-3 responses of 'make notes'.

- Read your specification. Note down the points (even better if you print it off, and highlight as you go)
- Make flashcards (for re, more generic ones would be helpful. As in, 'Points about the nature of God' - give evidence for each point)
- Videos are your friend. Walk through revision videos are particularly helpful for me.
- Use your teachers. Ask how is best to revise right now, any tips they have.
- Don't be afraid of asking questions; however, keep a notebook at each lesson to write down any you have, to research when you get home, if not.
- Blurting is a great revision source for concepts.
- I found using duolingo whilst studying Spanish helped boost my vocab.
- Seneca is fabulous for revision
- Make. Notes. I can't stress that enough. Shorter + more brief the better, you can do further revision surrounding your notes.
- Past. Papers.
- Go through your completed past papers. Find topics you're weak on, and work on them. Make sure to read examiners notes!
Reply 1
Alrighty you pretty much said what I wanted to!

Active revision>passive revision
If you wanna learn affecting active revision is your best friend e.g Blurting, flashcards
Beat the memory curve to solidify knowledge in your head and not forget about it later on!
Feyman technique is quite good I love using it!

Like @Xx_flowerpanda said use resources to your advantage and teachers
We have the internet so we are pretty privileged so use it.
Websites e.g revisely, mmerevise, save my exams, clever lily are all good, bitesize like come on
Clever lily is just for history, the rest have a lot of subjects
Use anki for flashcards like it litch helps beat the forgetting curve IF you use it often. And Quizlet.

Also the revision guides like they are pretty good especially cgp along with Pearson edexcel. They help😭

Time management! Come on. Like ur human not a robot even that needs breaks. Podomoro technique is good!

Find out when u revise/learn the best. For me it's the mornings/afternoon, in the evening I'm kinda ded. So I usually revise when I'm at my best. But it depends so find out works for u!
I tried to list things flower panda hasn't said yet!
(edited 8 months ago)
My strategy for science subjects:

Create flashcards on google sheets, it's easier to manage than Anki, and use lots of resources to make them. I would use the specification as a checklist to be sure you're including everything. The goal here is to deepen your understanding of the topic through summarisation. Then import these flashcards onto Anki. Ensure you keep up to date on your due flashcards.

As exam season rolls closer begin implementing past papers into your revision. Make sure to mark them; look at examiner reports and common mistakes. I would also recommend revising ideal exam technique.

To check your understanding of a topic, use past papers and blurting. To mark your blurting, go on to Physics and Maths Tutor mind maps (found in notes).

This is an extremely brief overview of how I'm planning to revise, so feel free to make any adjustments you deem necessary.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest