The Student Room Group

Half Term on TSR

What TSR can offer you on TSR this half term

The first two weeks of exam season are done :woo:

Although there may not be any exams this week that doesn't mean TSR can't help you prepare! We have useful tools, helpful resources and revision based conversations to help you get ahead this half term and be as prepared as you can be.

If we can do anything for you this half term, just holla. Best of luck, you've got this. :dumbells:

Revising chats every day this week:

Tuesday: What's the hardest exam you've sat so far?
Wednesday: Share with us your night before an exam routine
Thursday: Tips for keeping focus in an exam hall
Friday : What's the first thing you're going to do when you finish your last exam?

Revise together and prepare for your exams:

A-level exam discussions
GCSE exam discussions
TSR's All Day Revision Thread
GCSE Exam Cram 2023 chat
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Tagging in a few of our users who have posted in Study Help over the last few weeks, hope you don't mind :smile:

SH Posters

Reply 2
Hello! Thanks for adding me (: Does anybody here have any Spanish exams coming up? I often struggle with the speaking exam, so I want to obtain extra marks in reading/listening/writing in the next two weeks. Does anybody have any revision advice? I intend to make some flashcards on Quizlet with some useful, high level vocabulary. If I were to make a set, would anybody want the link? I previously made a war/conflict set which was received quite well last week for the literature exam.
Original post by K.online.
Hello! Thanks for adding me (: Does anybody here have any Spanish exams coming up? I often struggle with the speaking exam, so I want to obtain extra marks in reading/listening/writing in the next two weeks. Does anybody have any revision advice? I intend to make some flashcards on Quizlet with some useful, high level vocabulary. If I were to make a set, would anybody want the link? I previously made a war/conflict set which was received quite well last week for the literature exam.

Hi! For languages, quizlet flashcards are great for testing your vocab and grammar - two important things when learning a language.
For spanish there's lots of resources, like revision world, youtube videos and past papers!
Practice your listening as well by watching a few videos or movies of spanish speaking and see if you can pick it up; reading and writing use similar skills, but are both different in their own ways. For writing, practice writing paragraphs using prompts (for example, describing your favourite meals or clothing - and try to use different/varied vocab too), past papers are really good too.
Also, one tip for speaking, is that try to talk in a way that spanish speakers speak (I mean, adopt the way native speakers would speak), you can do this by eliminating words or phrases that native speakers wouldn't normally say and always check your sentences make sense - you can do this by watching videos, talking to spanish-speaking friends, if your school does pen-pal programmes, have a look at how they speak too and try to spot any differences in their way of language as opposed to how international people learn the language. This can help develop your level of understanding.
I do italian, and I often find the speaking bit difficult, because it's hard for me to become fluent. My main tip (whether it's speaking or listening or reading or writing), is to practice as much as you can and as long as you're confident with how much word you've commited, then you'll do great!
I hope that helps and it doesn't sound like waffle, good luck with your exams!

I last did Spanish at GCSE. I did my speaking 2021 - It wasn't graded 9-1 due to COVID but it was graded as an endorsement and I got a distinction (highest). I know the exam boards have this help sheet thing indicating what can get you the top marks and my advice is to practise your pronunciation and to only say the words you absolutely know because if you say words you're unsure of, you're risking losing the marks.

Also, choose your strongest topic for the general conversation - because it will come naturally to you and you have time before the general conversation to write up your answers for the photo card.

I hope this helps.

Edit: This is just revision advice for the exam, not a cheat code.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Hi! Thanks for adding me to this :smile:
Good Luck everyone, we've got this! Just one last push and in just over 2 weeks we'll be done!!

In terms of my hardest exam, it's probably been Arabic because this year the paper was awful, and I find languages in general quite difficult lol (I can just about speak my native language 😭)
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by AmeenahHs
Good Luck everyone, we've got this! Just one last push and in just over 2 weeks we'll be done!!

Nah bro. I’m done in just under a month.
Reply 7
Original post by JA03
Nah bro. I’m done in just under a month.

No way that sucks. I've only got 10 left, 5 each week after half term
Reply 8
Thx for tagging me @Evil Homer
Reply 9
The hardest exam so far was definitely history; it's my weakest subject so it wasn't exactly surprising. 12 Mark question was focused on the modern time period - which I hardly had anything to say for - and the 16 marker's wording threw me off, leading me to answer the harder one of the two (which, for me, was the Sydenham question) :rolleyes:.

Still regret not taking geography instead :frown:.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 10

did good in my spanish speaking last year. i would make sure you ALWAYS expand on your sentences and practice that. use flashcards for opinions and things like that to show diversity and know how to easily switch tense with no issues. practice not hesitating when asked spontaneous questions.
hope i can help :smile:
Reply 11
I've only sat one exam and that was the History unit 3 exam. Honestly it was difficult already..
Hope everyone is ok, doing well and still fairly motivated for the exams ahead
Thanks for tagging me!
Reply 13
Thanks for tagging me, too! Hope everyone manages to have a (relatively) relaxing half-term, and best of luck for all those exams afterwards :biggrin:. The end is nearly in sight!
hardest exam I've sat so far? Oh, probably chemistry a level paper 2. Disgustang
Reply 15
Hello everyone,
Hope exams went well in may and best of luck in June. I only did 1 (mfl) this year but I got advice and happy to help if anyone needs it☺️
-Trickia
Reply 16
Original post by AmeenahHs

In terms of my hardest exam, it's probably been Arabic because this year the paper was awful, and I find languages in general quite difficult lol (I can just about speak my native language 😭)

SAME! The Waleed and Saif question was a little weird and I'm dreading the writing paper because my mental english to arabic translator is quite slow. But to be honest I can't decide between Arabic Reading and Computer Science Paper 2 because both of those brutally slashed my chances of getting a 7.
Reply 17
Personally for any test I would
1. Get good rest
2. Revise the topics you struggle with please for the love of God don't revise stuff you are good at🙏🙏
3. Don't cramp too much so revise but don't go over it
4. Use techniques or methods to release stress/anxiety b4 the test e.g meditating
(edited 11 months ago)
It's Wednesday and that means another topic to share your ideas, tips and tricks: What are you doing the night before your exam?

SH Posters

(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Evil Homer
It's Wednesday and that means another topic to share your ideas, tips and tricks: What are you doing the night before your exam?

SH Posters

Think you meant to link this thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7358183

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending