The Student Room Group

How can I get into medical with high Alevel predictions but weak GCSEs?

Hello, Im predicted 3 A*s in my A levels which was in bio,chem and psychology. I got 3130 on my ucat band 1.

Results:
VR - 740
DM - 690
QR - 830
AR - 870
SJT - Band 1

However my GCSE results are not the strongest.

I got 887665543

8- Maths

6- English Language
7- English lit
3- computer science

I meet the requirements for the maths and English but I’m unsure whether I meet the science GCSE as I got Grade 6–5. The main reason which I got that was due to poor revision strategies and stress. Do I have a chance at any of the top London medical and dental schools? I worked super hard during sixth form to make up for my past mistakes. Whenever I’d tell anyone how I want to go to get into medical school they just tell me to give up.

Thank you to anyone reading this.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by melirose299
Hello, Im predicted 3 A*s in my A levels which was in bio,chem and psychology. I got 3130 on my ucat band 1.

Results:
VR - 740
DM - 690
QR - 830
AR - 870
SJT - Band 1

I got 887665543

8- Maths

6- English Language
7- English lit
3- computer science

I meet the requirements for the maths and English but I’m unsure whether I meet the science GCSE as I got Grade 6–5. The main reason which I got that was due to poor revision strategies and stress. Do I have a chance at any of the top London medical and dental schools? I worked super hard during sixth form to make up for my past mistakes. Whenever I’d tell anyone how I want to go to get into medical school they just tell me to give up.

Have you not already sent your application generally wondering im in year 12 similar gcses do you have any revision tips you can share btw
Original post by melirose299

Results:
VR - 740
DM - 690
QR - 830
AR - 870
SJT - Band 1

I got 887665543

8- Maths

6- English Language
7- English lit
3- computer science

Wow, A level predicted and UCAT are impressive ! Well done.

As you will know though a lot of the challenge will be in the GCSE grades (unless you have well evidenced extenuating circumstances perhaps?) as these are the bits that are often used for sifting through undergrad applicants with predicted grades.

If you have applied this year I think your chances will depend on how strategic you have been in your application. And whether you meet the grade minima.

It may be that you aren't successful this year, but you could consider it as a practice run for next.

Keep pushing with those A level grades. If you do fantastically in those and get a similar UCAT next year then you may have more options as sifting for those with achieved A level grades may differ.

So don't give up. Push hard. It will help. Getting into medicine is a two or more year journey for many many people. Your determination will stand you in good stead.

Good luck for this year.

Good luck, if you need it, for next. You may need to be more strategic than most, so make sure you post on the TSR which med school thread before applying.

Any medical school an applicant can get an offer for is the best med school for them. It may not be in London. Being in London does not make it the best.

I don't know anything about Dentistry.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending