The Student Room Group

should i wait to apply for uni next year?

so i've told multiple people on here about my current situation which is that ive gotten terrible AS level grades from my exams and i am wanting to apply for medicine in october, my predicted grades are ABB.

most of them have told me not to apply this year and instead apply for university next year once i get my a level results. I am really against that and do not want to waste a whole year and take the UCAT again.

any advise????

I am yet to do my UCAT it is in september.
GCSE's : 5 A*, 2 A's, 1 B
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by morteamie
so i've told multiple people on here about my current situation which is that ive gotten terrible AS level grades from my exams and i am wanting to apply for medicine in october, my predicted grades are ABB.

most of them have told me not to apply this year and instead apply for university next year once i get my a level results. I am really against that and do not want to waste a whole year and take the UCAT again.

any advise????

Unfortunately, I agree with the advice given. Unless you are eligible for WP or applying to foundation med courses ABB is not enough to make a competitive application to medicine. Have you tried asking your teachers what you can do to bring your predicted grades up to AAA?
Reply 2
Original post by saraj937
Unfortunately, I agree with the advice given. Unless you are eligible for WP or applying to foundation med courses ABB is not enough to make a competitive application to medicine. Have you tried asking your teachers what you can do to bring your predicted grades up to AAA?

i havent started year 13 yet, however i think i might be able to change it to AAB
Reply 3
Well its worth asking your teacher- maybe resit mocks to get to an AAA- I wouldn't recommend applying unless you get AAA as most likely you'll be rejected if you don't meet the AAA requirements that most courses have- I think the only med course without WP is Kent and Medway who have AAB predicted.
i havent started year 13 yet, however i think i might be able to change it to AAB
You can always apply this year, and if you get no offers, reapply next year, as an alternative I guess
Reply 5

any advise????

Apply to med schools that do not look at predicted grades

Sorry if this is kinda late (but might be useful for the future year 12s), but I was in this situation
with my AS grades being BBC (gave up on medicine at that point) but found out that I needed extra time on tests and got access arrangements for any future tests and after that I practically begged my teachers to let me do extra tests (with the extra time) and managed to get it up to AAA (please talk to your head of year/department/sixth form).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending