The Student Room Group

Remark if my uni place doesn't depend on it?

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on applying for a remark for a-level geography if my uni place doesn't depend on it. I was 3 marks off an A* and my teacher is encouraging me to look at my paper when she receives it and go for a remark.

My Cambridge offer is A*AA which I only just met - I'm 26 marks into the A boundary for geography so the chances of a remark going down to a B are slim but still off-putting.

I'm not really sure what to do, I got A*s in geography all throughout college but I know most people were stung by the harsher grade boundaries. To me it just seems a bit risky and expensive when my place doesn't depend on it.
Reply 1
You won't go down by 26 marks
Reply 2
Tbh I don't see the point in remarking if you met your offer. I'm also quite close to the A* boundary in two of my subjects but, because I met my firm offer, I'm not bothering with remarking. It's a bit disappointing but eh I'll get over it. I'd rather spend my time preparing for university
Reply 3
Original post by brooke.04
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on applying for a remark for a-level geography if my uni place doesn't depend on it. I was 3 marks off an A* and my teacher is encouraging me to look at my paper when she receives it and go for a remark.

My Cambridge offer is A*AA which I only just met - I'm 26 marks into the A boundary for geography so the chances of a remark going down to a B are slim but still off-putting.

I'm not really sure what to do, I got A*s in geography all throughout college but I know most people were stung by the harsher grade boundaries. To me it just seems a bit risky and expensive when my place doesn't depend on it.

Things are in your favour and based on your post it seems like there won't be any repercussions either way because you're 'safe' with having gotten your uni place along with the fact that you're quite deep into the grade boundary for an A. At this point it is entirely up to you and how you feel about it, but just because others are saying to do it doesn't mean you are obliged to remark it and there is nothing wrong with that.
Reply 4
Thanks everyone for the advice! I think its just a matter of whether I want to put up the money for the chance to go up a grade. I get it won't make much practical sense but I suppose its more a personal thing to see my work pay off.
I'll look at my paper and see if there's any specific harsh marking and, if not, just leave it and get ready for uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest