The Student Room Group

Near misses?

I'm an IB student that had a firm choice of UCL

After getting results, I found that I missed my UCL offer by 2 points and also got a 6 in maths (missed a 7 by 2% which I needed for my offer)
I got into my WW insurance, but I'm looking to get a remark in maths and 1 other subject because I was 1-3% off the next grade boundary for 3 other subjects. Does anyone know about the leniency that a school like UCL might have for near misses if the remark doesn't completely turn in my favour? Or any advice in general 😭😭
Original post by oradion
I'm an IB student that had a firm choice of UCL

After getting results, I found that I missed my UCL offer by 2 points and also got a 6 in maths (missed a 7 by 2% which I needed for my offer)
I got into my WW insurance, but I'm looking to get a remark in maths and 1 other subject because I was 1-3% off the next grade boundary for 3 other subjects. Does anyone know about the leniency that a school like UCL might have for near misses if the remark doesn't completely turn in my favour? Or any advice in general 😭😭

Some unis will make decision on IB near misses now, others will wait until AL results have been processed and they have a better idea of space. In short, we would really just be guessing with regards to how lenient they'll be, (and anyone else who was accepted/rejected as a near miss will just be anecdotal and not what might happen to you).

Most important thing: tell UCL ASAP that you are getting a remark. Then they can pop you on hold rather than making a decision based on your current results.

Have UCL contacted you at all post-results? If not, best to check with your centre and UCL whether they shared the results with them.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Some unis will make decision on IB near misses now, others will wait until AL results have been processed and they have a better idea of space. In short, we would really just be guessing with regards to how lenient they'll be, (and anyone else who was accepted/rejected as a near miss will just be anecdotal and not what might happen to you).

Most important thing: tell UCL ASAP that you are getting a remark. Then they can pop you on hold rather than making a decision based on your current results.

Have UCL contacted you at all post-results? If not, best to check with your centre and UCL whether they shared the results with them.

Thank you so much for the advice, that makes a lot of sense. My UCAS hasn't updated for the UCL offer and I've gotten no emails yet, so I'm not quite sure if they have the results yet? I'm meeting my IB coordinator on Monday though to discuss remarking.

I actually contacted UCL earlier today to ask about being reconsidered after a remark but was told that i should try getting in contact after the remark and before A level results day. Do you think I should try contacting them again and asking them explicitly to put me on hold until after the remark or should I just wait till I talk to my coordinator?
Reply 3
Hi,

Is it true that if marks fall after remark, the latest grade will be passed to Unis?
Or will they consider the first one?

Thanks
Jn
Reply 4
Original post by Jnmenan
Hi,

Is it true that if marks fall after remark, the latest grade will be passed to Unis?
Or will they consider the first one?

Thanks
Jn

Exam boards automatically give UCAS your grades and that gets sent to the uni.
If your grade post-remark falls below the remark then they'll probably end up rejecting you unless you call and ask, then again falling a whole grade is unlikely (assuming you remark because you're close to the upper boundary, which is what remarks generally should be for) so I wouldn't worry about that too much
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5
Like everyone else in this position, all you can do is wait for the Uni to make their decision.

If you decide to go for a remark, tell the Uni you are doing this - and even if you have been rejected, if your new gardes meet the offer, that Uni will honour their offer and reverse the Rejection.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending