The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Economic History and Geography LSE

I'm currently in year 12 (going into year 13) and planning to apply for Economic History and Geography at LSE.

For any current students, what was the split like in your personal statement and what other courses/unis did you apply for?

At the moment, I'm structuring my personal statement thematically and I will be applying for Geography courses at other unis. However, would I explicitly need to mention 'Economic History' in my ps like i am with Geography?

Thank you!
Yeah, LSE is notorious for wanting students to tailor their PS to their course.
Looking at the course outline (here: https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/undergraduate/degree-programmes-2024/bsc-economic-history-and-geography), you'll notice that in your first year you will have to take modules such as Microeconomics & Macroeconomics.
So you'll need to talk about Economics to a degree to stand a chance.
Maybe you could go about this by talking about areas like research into regional and urban development, inequalities between places and the location of economic activity? It ticks the box in talking about Economics but your uni won't find it weird as Geography (especially Human Geo) and Economics tend to go hand-in-hand well
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by qwerty11123
I'm currently in year 12 (going into year 13) and planning to apply for Economic History and Geography at LSE.

For any current students, what was the split like in your personal statement and what other courses/unis did you apply for?

At the moment, I'm structuring my personal statement thematically and I will be applying for Geography courses at other unis. However, would I explicitly need to mention 'Economic History' in my ps like i am with Geography?

Thank you!
What are ure predicted grades ?
Thank you!
I do geography with econ at LSE so lmk if that's useful to here about if no econ history and geography students reply
Reply 4
Original post by amberlily051
I do geography with econ at LSE so lmk if that's useful to here about if no econ history and geography students reply

hey, thanks for replying. I do have one question, how much maths/statistics is involved in Geography? I had to do quite a few statistical tests in my NEA this year and i want to know how much of this will follow through in the course 🙂
hey, thanks for replying. I do have one question, how much maths/statistics is involved in Geography? I had to do quite a few statistical tests in my NEA this year and i want to know how much of this will follow through in the course 🙂

It depends what modules are required for your particular degree. Most of the first years don’t have to do any maths for the geography side in the first year but obvs if u do econ history too there will be maths in that.
Reply 6
Has anyone received an offer yet for this course ?
Reply 7
Original post by SSQUARE2
Has anyone received an offer yet for this course ?

I have an offer for Economic History and Geography
Reply 8
I have an offer for Economic History and Geography

When did you recieve it and what are your predicted grades , subjects and GCSE's ?
Reply 9
Original post by SSQUARE2
When did you recieve it and what are your predicted grades , subjects and GCSE's ?

i got it 20th march, my predicted are A*AA in geo, maths and economics. GCSEs are 9999999888
whats urs?
i got it 20th march, my predicted are A*AA in geo, maths and economics. GCSEs are 9999999888
whats urs?

I am still waiting , predicted 3 A stars , in econ , Geo and politics but for my PS it was a 3 way split between econ , pol and geo because i also applied for Politics with economics so that may be the issue .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending