The Student Room Group

GCSE 2023 - Should I resit English Literature?

Hi, I am really stuck on what to do. I have received my GCSE results but I have done terribly in English.

For GCSEs I got:
Geography: 8
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 9
Physics: 9
German: 9
English Language: 6
English Literature: 5
Computer Science: 8
Mathematics: 9

Does anybody think I should resit English Literature GCSE. I am going to be applying for computer science at university but I am worried that my 5 in English Literature would make it really difficult for me to get into the top universities such as Imperial College London, UCL, Manchester and Durham due to how competitive it is to get a place there. I am sending off one of my English Language papers to get remarked because I was 1 mark off a 7. I am planning on doing maths, further maths, computer science and physics A levels so I am worried that I might not have enough time to do an English Literature resit.
Reply 1
Depends on your sixth form, I would consider resitting. My sixth form stated I must get 7+ for every subject to do 4 alevels and most uni look for an average above 8.2 (to my knowledge) or so at gcse. You could also ask university reps and the head of your subjects as well for more guidance.
Reply 2
Original post by Nat16.
Depends on your sixth form, I would consider resitting. My sixth form stated I must get 7+ for every subject to do 4 alevels and most uni look for an average above 8.2 (to my knowledge) or so at gcse. You could also ask university reps and the head of your subjects as well for more guidance.

Hello, thank you for your reply. My sixth form only requires me to get 7s in the subjects I want to do for A levels and a 6 in English language and Maths. There is no special requirement for GCSEs for people who want to do 4 A levels in my sixth form.
Reply 3
Original post by cutecat15
Hi, I am really stuck on what to do. I have received my GCSE results but I have done terribly in English.

For GCSEs I got:
Geography: 8
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 9
Physics: 9
German: 9
English Language: 6
English Literature: 5
Computer Science: 8
Mathematics: 9

Does anybody think I should resit English Literature GCSE. I am going to be applying for computer science at university but I am worried that my 5 in English Literature would make it really difficult for me to get into the top universities such as Imperial College London, UCL, Manchester and Durham due to how competitive it is to get a place there. I am sending off one of my English Language papers to get remarked because I was 1 mark off a 7. I am planning on doing maths, further maths, computer science and physics A levels so I am worried that I might not have enough time to do an English Literature resit.

With GCSEs like that, I really wouldn't worry too much about uni. They don't care an awful lot about GCSEs and are more focused on predicted grades and UCAS stuff like your personal statements. I'm off to Warwick uni for Computer Science this autumn and most of the application process were more worried about what A levels you did as well as how you do in them. Just try and be as well-rounded as possible and don't sweat small dips in marks like English, with your A-levels you're clearly not as bothered with English compared with eg. Maths and Physics. I wouldn't resit because it will only hold you back in your A-levels which are much harder than GCSEs.

(also consider dropping to 3 A-levels after Christmas, 4 is far too many for basically everyone I have spoken to and has only held most people back. Plus uni offers are almost always 3 grades and not 4.)
Original post by Nat16.

Unis absolutely do not look for an average of above 8.2 otherwise the majority of students would not get in :tongue: Most look for a grade 4/5 in maths and English and some will have extra requirements eg. a 6 in GCSE maths for someone without maths a level on a course that has a mathematical basis.
Of course some courses are more competitive, but that is specific to the course.

OP, your English lit grade should not hold you back, focus on smashing your A levels and doing super curriculars if you want to get into top unis
Reply 5
Original post by _oscarh
With GCSEs like that, I really wouldn't worry too much about uni. They don't care an awful lot about GCSEs and are more focused on predicted grades and UCAS stuff like your personal statements. I'm off to Warwick uni for Computer Science this autumn and most of the application process were more worried about what A levels you did as well as how you do in them. Just try and be as well-rounded as possible and don't sweat small dips in marks like English, with your A-levels you're clearly not as bothered with English compared with eg. Maths and Physics. I wouldn't resit because it will only hold you back in your A-levels which are much harder than GCSEs.

(also consider dropping to 3 A-levels after Christmas, 4 is far too many for basically everyone I have spoken to and has only held most people back. Plus uni offers are almost always 3 grades and not 4.)

Thank you for your reply, this is very helpful. I hope you have a great time at Warwick University.

Quick Reply

Latest