The Student Room Group

ways to boost vet school application

hello! i am a current sophomore neuroscience student on the pre-vet track. i was just wondering about the best ways to boost my vet school applications and if there are some extracurriculars which might be more worth my time than others.

currently i have a 3.08 gpa which is definitely improving (freshman year was a difficult adjustment for me in terms of adapting study habits from high school to college). by the time vet school applications are due (senior fall) i could plausibly have at least around a 3.4 gpa, which would hopefully increase further by graduation.

i have lots of volunteering hours, shadowing hours, and some solid extracurriculars (founder and president of our college's neuroscience club). i will also be taking the gre at some point and potentially the mcat (i know it doesn't apply to vet schools however i have personal reasons for taking it), one or both of which could potentially benefit me.

furthermore in terms of academics, i am considering overloading on "easy" coursework (english classes, etc.) and taking summer classes to boost my overall (not science) gpa.

i also believe that i have solid essays (work in progresses) and good qualifications/a good "why me" story which sets me apart from other applicants.my big question here is how badly will my gpa affect my application? how can i boost other aspects of my application to "overshadow" this (although i know grades can't necessarily be overshadowed here).

i appreciate any advice!
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Hiya! Think this forum mainly focuses on people applying to UK Veterinary Schools but still, here's my humble opinion from someone who got into two Veterinary Schools in the UK. Your application looks pretty decent, although I don't know exactly what American Vet Schools expect from their applications. All I'd say is I've previously struggled with the human element and Interviewers really value that. Extracurriculars aren't valued as much over here I think, and as long as you can show you're a normal human with hobbies you will have a shot. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending