The Student Room Group

6th form

I got a 5-5 in gcse higher science when i was meant to get a 7-7 for my 6th form so ive looked for another 6th form where you need 6-6 which is better for me
many teachers at my school told me not to do seperate science but i really honestly want to do it
so can anyone help me be persuasive as the teacher in the other 6th form said they would call me today to talk about the science
Ive never messed up this bad like in my mocks i got 6-6 then 6-7 so during my real exams i just had a bad day ik its big jump from gcse science to alevel science but im willing to do that and ive already started revising back on the gcse science since last month so then i could know them all
id really appreciate if i can have some words to say thankyou
Reply 1
Just out of intrest, what branch of science have you got your eye on?
Original post by Liya_123
I got a 5-5 in gcse higher science when i was meant to get a 7-7 for my 6th form so ive looked for another 6th form where you need 6-6 which is better for me
many teachers at my school told me not to do seperate science but i really honestly want to do it
so can anyone help me be persuasive as the teacher in the other 6th form said they would call me today to talk about the science
Ive never messed up this bad like in my mocks i got 6-6 then 6-7 so during my real exams i just had a bad day ik its big jump from gcse science to alevel science but im willing to do that and ive already started revising back on the gcse science since last month so then i could know them all
id really appreciate if i can have some words to say thankyou

As the news reported, a lot of students got lower results than predicted due to higher grade boundaries to return to pre-pandemic level even though we were undoubtedly affected by covid. Therefore, the sixth form offering 6-6 may be more lenient. I’d suggest going heavy on how good your mocks and predicted grades were.
Original post by Honkous
Just out of intrest, what branch of science have you got your eye on?

i wanted to do biology and chemistry
Original post by LittleFire10
As the news reported, a lot of students got lower results than predicted due to higher grade boundaries to return to pre-pandemic level even though we were undoubtedly affected by covid. Therefore, the sixth form offering 6-6 may be more lenient. I’d suggest going heavy on how good your mocks and predicted grades were.

okay so ill talk about mocks this honestly has just stressed me out so much cause i didnt expect 6th form to be so strict with grades i hope this 6th form lets me in cause the grade requirements are quite low for every subject so i think its like one of those schools which are less performed which idm
Okay so yeah ill talk about mocks another thing is that my behaviour is really good i dont know if that matters and my attendance ill just say i really would like to do it and ect
thankyou for replying btw :smile:
Reply 5
i wanted to do biology and chemistry

Well you correctly identified earlier that the jump from GCSE to A-Level science is quite a large one. From someone who has just completed A-Level Physics (my results aren't glowing so dont take this as some divine advice) I would say that if you really enjoy the subject outside of the school curriculum and you have a genuine passion for it then demonstrating that to your teachers would do your case some good. I will say that A-Level science, physics at least, requires some real perseverance and if you think you can handle it then that's what matters. I will link this to a mate of mine if you don't mind who did A-Level chem and AS Bio. He will be able to offer much more specific advice on these subjects than I can. @TypicalNerd
Original post by Honkous
Well you correctly identified earlier that the jump from GCSE to A-Level science is quite a large one. From someone who has just completed A-Level Physics (my results aren't glowing so dont take this as some divine advice) I would say that if you really enjoy the subject outside of the school curriculum and you have a genuine passion for it then demonstrating that to your teachers would do your case some good. I will say that A-Level science, physics at least, requires some real perseverance and if you think you can handle it then that's what matters. I will link this to a mate of mine if you don't mind who did A-Level chem and AS Bio. He will be able to offer much more specific advice on these subjects than I can. @TypicalNerd

yes i was going to tell the 6th form that i joined the medic mentor portal which i've been joining for now 3 months cause i want to do medicine in the future, thankyou for replying :smile:
yes i was going to tell the 6th form that i joined the medic mentor portal which i've been joining for now 3 months cause i want to do medicine in the future, thankyou for replying :smile:

So far, your plan sounds solid.

I’d strongly recommend having a quick look at some of the resources you can find on the internet for A level chemistry and A level biology (e.g Allery Chemistry and Miss Estruch biology) so you can get an idea of some of the concepts taught early on in the courses (otherwise, you could look up some relatively recent news involving both subjects - e.g “click chemistry” and how it can be used). That way, you can argue that you demonstrated some initiative and did some extra reading around both subjects as that should help show that you genuinely have an interest in both chemistry and biology.

Quick Reply

Latest