The Student Room Group

sixth form vs college

im currently at the stage of doing gsces, also not sure which ones best for me because i did talk to a sixth former and discuss this with her
but tbh i feel that sixth form may be hard, for me which i dont want to disappoint my family/staff if i dont do well
however if i go into college, than family disappointed at me and will think badly at me
so idk which one to choose
also i was told that my progress isn't fitting for sixth form but tbh idk if i will be able to go
Reply 1
Hiii I've been to both college and sixth form and let me start off saying that sixth form is wayyy better
To be honest it rlly depends on whether you're taking A-levels or BTEC/whether you're independent or dependent on others

If you're thinking of BTEC courses or some A-levels, college is good because the teachers are kinda laidback. College is WAY more chill with their timetable and dress code than sixth form. However, in college it was harder to make friends because everyone is independent whereas sixth form there are more opportunities to get to know each other (this might have just been me though)
Also in sixth form it is easier to know where u need to improve or how well you're progressing. Sixth form could be strict depending on which one you're going to, the one i'm in is actually laidback with the dress code and the timetable isn't so bad either. Sixth form is better than college if u want to get into uni

I was in college doing AS but didn't do so well in the mocks so I couldn't go on to the second year (I think this is common for most colleges to stop students from going into the next year if they don't meet the required grades)
I'm quite similar to u because before I left the college my teacher told me I wasn't cut out for A-Levels LOL
But I didn't let that affect me and now i'm averaging an A/B in my subjects.
Don't let what others think about u affect u!!! Do what u enjoy!

My friends have gone to colleges and finished, they all said that they regret going to college because the education wasn't good and they didn't end up in the uni they wanted (had to go thru clearing)
Hope this helped :u:
Original post by oursgrace
im currently at the stage of doing gsces, also not sure which ones best for me because i did talk to a sixth former and discuss this with her
but tbh i feel that sixth form may be hard, for me which i dont want to disappoint my family/staff if i dont do well
however if i go into college, than family disappointed at me and will think badly at me
so idk which one to choose
also i was told that my progress isn't fitting for sixth form but tbh idk if i will be able to go

It depends on what you are doing after gcse's.
But if you have been told that your progress isnt fitting for 6th form then id probably go to college.
I went to both- 6th form then college. I liked both, but i liked college way better.
Id been at the same secondary school for 5 years before i went 6th form. Id always loved the place, but another 2 years at the place got boring. Plus i didnt make as many friends there. I loved college. It was a new place, new start, change of scenery etc etc. Made lots of friends. Generally loved it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending