The Student Room Group

Gcse disadvantage

Hello, so i got a D on english Lit but i am 2 marks off for a 4, but i was in a disadvantage as i was supposed to have a disctionary and they told me that i couldnt have it but other students from different rooms had it and they also used it, so i had this question that was 32 marks and i was struggling because i did not understood the qustion really well, i already told to my centre about it and they said they will only add 5 percent of marks, but it doesnt balance it and it doesnt make it fair for me, what should i do?
Original post by benino
Hello, so i got a D on english Lit but i am 2 marks off for a 4, but i was in a disadvantage as i was supposed to have a disctionary and they told me that i couldnt have it but other students from different rooms had it and they also used it, so i had this question that was 32 marks and i was struggling because i did not understood the qustion really well, i already told to my centre about it and they said they will only add 5 percent of marks, but it doesnt balance it and it doesnt make it fair for me, what should i do?

The fact that you've mixed letter grades and numeric grades is a tad confusing, but we'll let that slide.

Your issue is that you were missing a dictionary, which was supposed to have been made available to you. If you look through the Special Consideration rules here you will note that 5% is the maximum adjustment which can be made:

"5% This is the maximum allowance and will be reserved for the most exceptional cases, such as:
terminal illness of the candidate;
terminal illness of a parent/carer;
death of a member of the immediate family within three months of the examination;
very serious and disruptive crisis/incident at or near the time of the examination."

So there's no way you were ever going to get more than 5%.

As for the fact that you're "2 marks off for a 4", I suggest that you first use you exam board's (free) Access to Scripts service and go through your papers with your teachers to see whether any marks have been "missed" along the way. If any have been, you can then use the (chargeable) Review of Marking service to have another examiner (normally a senior examiner) go through your answers to ensure that the mark scheme has been applied correctly. Both services need to be arranged through your school.

Quick Reply

Latest