The Student Room Group

resit

hi i just got my A2 results and got ABC i was meant to get AAA for med minimum

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the application process is like/how i would reapply with into medicine for 2024 entry,
and would i be put at a very very strong disadvantage if i were to resit the 2 BC, compared to a student who has predicted grades of AAA

As my school says i cant use predicted grades from them and can only use the actual grades i got
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
yea and
Reply 2
Original post by asap.teoo
yea and

i accidentally cut out rest of post
Reply 3
Original post by hhhhheeeee

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the application process is like/how i would reapply with into medicine for 2024 entry,
and would i be put at a very very strong disadvantage if i were to resit the 2 BC, compared to a student who has predicted grades of AAA

As my school says i cant use predicted grades from them and can only use the actual grades i got

Alright so, your teachers are right you can only use your actual grades so what I would do is, since you want to study medicine, to just resit them and hope for the best.

They don't care if you resit.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Many Unis will accept resits for Medicine, including Bristol.

If nothing but Medicine will do, resit and reapply - lots of people get into Medicine on a second attempt.

Hello,

Yes, it is true that you cannot use your predicted grades now that you have actual grades to use. If you want to get into the unis you have suggested you want to go into, it would be best to resit (assuming you were rejected this year).

Alternatively you could search on clearing to see if any university is offering foundation years. If not, and you’re set on applying next year your best shot would be to resit and achieve those higher grades.

As for advantage/disadvantage, you have actual grades. It would be easy to get unconditional offers from unis where you meet the grade requirements, but I’m afraid you would be put at a slight disadvantage for higher end grade requirements.

Hope this helps,
Dom
Reply 6

Your issue is that many med schools have minimum first sit grade requirements and some want an A* achieved in resit subjects and will want to see that predicted.
You apply with both your achieved grades and showing any predicted grades as pending, and if you do not have those required predicted grades, you will be rejected, so maybe look for a tutor or someone who can do that for you.
But research minimum requirements at first sit carefully as it is minimum ABB for many. If they accept your original grades and resits, you would not be disadvantaged at most med schools (only Kings say they give preference to non-resitters)
Reply 7
Original post by GANFYD
Your issue is that many med schools have minimum first sit grade requirements and some want an A* achieved in resit subjects and will want to see that predicted.
You apply with both your achieved grades and showing any predicted grades as pending, and if you do not have those required predicted grades, you will be rejected, so maybe look for a tutor or someone who can do that for you.
But research minimum requirements at first sit carefully as it is minimum ABB for many. If they accept your original grades and resits, you would not be disadvantaged at most med schools (only Kings say they give preference to non-resitters)

thank you for the response
but what did you mean by tutor? are private tutors allowed to give you predicted grades
Reply 8
thank you for the response
but what did you mean by tutor? are private tutors allowed to give you predicted grades

They are allowed to, it is up to them whether they feel they are allowed to
Reply 9
Original post by GANFYD
They are allowed to, it is up to them whether they feel they are allowed to

so my only option is that i have to have a tutor to predict me those grades &
the unis i’ve researched/ the only ones i can apply to are bristol, aston, bart’s and southampton & i don’t think they specify what they want me to get/ predicted
Reply 10
Why can’t the school predict you the same grades as last time? I thought that was the process.
Reply 11
There isn’t clear regulations set and no easy information available anywhere for students to understand. At the moment all have to dig information out from various universities
Reply 12
so my only option is that i have to have a tutor to predict me those grades &
the unis i’ve researched/ the only ones i can apply to are bristol, aston, bart’s and southampton & i don’t think they specify what they want me to get/ predicted

Barts actually score predictions and do not accept resits without ExCircs. Southampton and Bristol both want minimum requirements predicted, I think.

Those that do not have minimum first sit grade requirements are
Bristol, 
Exeter, 
Sheffield, 
Southampton, Kings, Edge Hill, Newcastle, Aston
But they will all want to see predictions and some require an A* in resat subjects - or in Exeter's case, will need A*A*A* predicted unless WP, except Aston, who say they don't look at predicted grades.
Keele will accept resits but only if applying wiht achieved rather than predicted grades, so not an option for this year.
Reply 13
Original post by GANFYD
Barts actually score predictions and do not accept resits without ExCircs. Southampton and Bristol both want minimum requirements predicted, I think.

Bristol, 
Exeter, 
Sheffield, 
But they will all want to see predictions and some require an A* in resat subjects - or in Exeter's case, will need A*A*A* predicted unless WP, except Aston, who say they don't look at predicted grades.
Keele will accept resits but only if applying wiht achieved rather than predicted grades, so not an option for this year.

ahh thank you so much for this
Reply 14
Original post by GANFYD

Bristol, 
Exeter, 
Sheffield, 

Hi I achieved B ( biology) , D (maths), E (chemistry) after being predicted A*AA and achieving A's and B's all year. I previously has a med offer but lost it. I still really want to apply for med as its my dream and i know what went wrong and am sure i can fix it , i decided to take a gap year and have already booked a ucat which i am hoping to get 3000 in ( i got 2800 last time) . I looked into foundation courses already but as i am not WP i think i do not qualify for any of them not to mention i will be a resitter. Out of the Universities you have mentioned i did want to apply to some, however I am aware i would have to be predicted triple A and resit all 3 of my subjects which I am okay with. However can i even apply or are my grades too low or will put me at a serious disadvantage? I was thinking of applying to Bristol, Exeter,Sheffield, Southampton, Edge Hill, Newcastle, Aston ( I know i can't apply to all but which ones would you say i have the best shot at).
Reply 15
Original post by amxliaa_c
Hi I achieved B ( biology) , D (maths), E (chemistry) after being predicted A*AA and achieving A's and B's all year. I previously has a med offer but lost it. I still really want to apply for med as its my dream and i know what went wrong and am sure i can fix it , i decided to take a gap year and have already booked a ucat which i am hoping to get 3000 in ( i got 2800 last time) . I looked into foundation courses already but as i am not WP i think i do not qualify for any of them not to mention i will be a resitter. Out of the Universities you have mentioned i did want to apply to some, however I am aware i would have to be predicted triple A and resit all 3 of my subjects which I am okay with. However can i even apply or are my grades too low or will put me at a serious disadvantage? I was thinking of applying to Bristol, Exeter,Sheffield, Southampton, Edge Hill, Newcastle, Aston ( I know i can't apply to all but which ones would you say i have the best shot at).

Bristol, Sheffield, Southampton, Edge Hill and Newcastle will solely dependent on your UCAT score, but Newcastle require an A* in any resat subject, so that would mean A*A*A* predictions.
Aston score GCSEs and UCAT, so depends on your GCSEs
Exeter score A levels and UCAT and have needed A*A*A* predicted for years, if not contextual, so with AAA predictions, there are a couple that will be ruled out. If your UCAT is 3000 and you have excellent GCSEs then the others should be OK, but if 2800 again, Bristol, Sheffield and Southampton would also be risky
Reply 16
Original post by GANFYD
Bristol, Sheffield, Southampton, Edge Hill and Newcastle will solely dependent on your UCAT score, but Newcastle require an A* in any resat subject, so that would mean A*A*A* predictions.
Aston score GCSEs and UCAT, so depends on your GCSEs
Exeter score A levels and UCAT and have needed A*A*A* predicted for years, if not contextual, so with AAA predictions, there are a couple that will be ruled out. If your UCAT is 3000 and you have excellent GCSEs then the others should be OK, but if 2800 again, Bristol, Sheffield and Southampton would also be risky

Thank you so much for this its a lot of help I was struggling a lot but you made it really clear. My GCSE's are six 8's/A* - ( this includes maths,bio,chem), three 7's/A and one 9/A** . I am not sure if this is an excellent gcse , i dont think it is. If i do get 3000 plus in my ucat would my gcse's make Bristol, Sheffield, Southampton, Edge Hill and Aston risky ?
Reply 17
Original post by amxliaa_c
Thank you so much for this its a lot of help I was struggling a lot but you made it really clear. My GCSE's are six 8's/A* - ( this includes maths,bio,chem), three 7's/A and one 9/A** . I am not sure if this is an excellent gcse , i dont think it is. If i do get 3000 plus in my ucat would my gcse's make Bristol, Sheffield, Southampton, Edge Hill and Aston risky ?

No, they should be OK with those stats :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by GANFYD
No, they should be OK with those stats :smile:

Sorry for asking so many things. Out of these ones Bristol, Sheffield, Southampton, Edge Hill, and Aston, historically which ones have resits had a better chance at, or have given more offers to resits? Or just generally have a higher chance of me recieving an offer it's okay if you don't know. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending