The Student Room Group

Immerse education - is it legit or scam??

I want to go on summer school in Oxford or Cambridge. I can't see any course offered by Oxford itself for high-schoolers (im in year 12)I came across Immerse education - it's not affiliated with Oxbridge. Is it legit tho? Or a waste of money???
Original post by twob1549
I want to go on summer school in Oxford or Cambridge. I can't see any course offered by Oxford itself for high-schoolers (im in year 12)I came across Immerse education - it's not affiliated with Oxbridge. Is it legit tho? Or a waste of money???

I dont know but https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/about/summer-schools, only trust any summer school link from the oxford website
it goes hand in hand with their immerse essay competition, where the 10 winners get a full scholarship to study but everyone else more or less seems to get a partial scholarship (even though immerse says that only 7% or so get a scholarship) in order to coax people into thinking they've got a good deal and splurging on this extremely expensive course. so no, it is not worth it - it's a massive money-making scheme and yes, you would get taught useful things and experience life at oxford for 2 weeks but it's not going to improve any application to oxford.
so if you want you can try the essay competition to get into the summer school but bear in mind if you aren't one of the 10 scholarship winners then you're still going to have to pay a huge amount, but if you really want to do this course then entering the competition could reduce the fees somewhat
Reply 3
I would be inclined to say it’s a waste of money. The prices are ridiculous - while you probably do get what they say you’ll get (ie staying in Oxford for a couple of weeks and having some academic sessions) I don’t see how that experience is worth thousands of pounds.

I suppose if that amount of money is not a problem for you then there’s no harm in it, but if you’d have to save up or it would be financially significant for your family in any way to pay for it it’s definitely not worth it. Going on a paid summer school won’t do much to improve an Oxbridge application that you couldn’t have got for free by attending public lectures or reading around your subject. And if you want to experience Oxford you can go there and most colleges let you look round for free if you say you’re a prospective applicant.

Oxford itself does offer summer schools - the big centrally organised one is UNIQ, and colleges may also organise summer schools for certain subjects or for their linked areas. The purpose of these summer schools is to widen access to Oxford so they are aimed at people from underrepresented and disadvantaged backgrounds. If that’s you, most of these schools are aimed at year 12s so you might want to look into those instead. If you aren’t from a widening participation background, there isn’t much on offer, but the thinking is you don’t need that kind of experience in order to decide that Oxford is for you and to be able to apply.
im thinking about joining too!
(edited 6 months ago)

I am thinking about joining it too! I am not a local and english is not my mother language. So I think this is a really great chance to explore uk and also Oxbridge. I thought Oxford Cambridge are prestigious colleges that random perso couldnt go in. But seeing Immerse offering a summer school where I could stay inside, know new people, and get knowledge in the field I'm interested by just paying! Not even an interview session! Thats why I think the price is expensive but it is worth it. Any suggestions?
Avoid like the Bubonic Plague. As others have said, it's obscenely pricey (£5,995 for less than 2 weeks, that's a small fortune...) and won't give your application to Oxford any advantage whatsoever. If you want the experience of living in Oxford then just get a hotel or airbnb for 2 weeks, it'll be so much cheaper. Granted, you won't get to live in an Oxford college but you'll still see what the city is like, the vibe of living there a while and that should generally count for more than the college, where the rooms and general experience will be pretty similar in most of them.

Hey!
Yes! It is legit. I'm recently back from one of Immerses courses.
They are a bit expensive, mainly if you don't have the scholarship given by the essay competition, however, I truly believe they are worth it.
My experience there was amazing, the classes were great, the management impeccable, and the friends even better!
So, if you have the resources to go, it's a life-changing experience!
Original post by Anonymous
I am thinking about joining it too! I am not a local and english is not my mother language. So I think this is a really great chance to explore uk and also Oxbridge. I thought Oxford Cambridge are prestigious colleges that random perso couldnt go in. But seeing Immerse offering a summer school where I could stay inside, know new people, and get knowledge in the field I'm interested by just paying! Not even an interview session! Thats why I think the price is expensive but it is worth it. Any suggestions?

I truly believe Immerse is a great option. They are expensive, but they are also experienced and ready for multiple kinds of problems.
I went there last summer, and it was the most magical time in my life, the classes were helpful, but my teacher showed support, my mentor was always there to help us, and I met plenty of new friends that I'm going to take to life, and I got to know a new part of myself and be more clear about what I want in the Future.
And suppose you already know what you are going to do in college. In that case, it can be used as a supercurricular, since it is an activity that is about the chosen subject and surpasses the school curriculum. Besides, if you end up in a course that you like, but don't want to do this for your life, you made a significant discovery.
So, if you have the resources to go to Immerse's summer school, it will be an amazing time in your life and deeply change you.

Hi! I went a couple of years ago on a 50% scholarship from the competition (I would not have been able to go otherwise because of the price) it was the best two weeks of my life, and I am still in contact with many who I met there today. Also, although it is not affiliated with the university, all of the team leaders and teachers are oxbridge students. I worried about the legitimacy too, but it was such a wonderful and well planned organisation. So I guess it depends what you are willing to spend, but definitely go for the essay competition!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending