The Student Room Group

Would DVLA send car tax refunds by email

I have an email stating I paid too much car tax, which they provided me with a link and once I clicked it provided me with a gov.uk website to fill in my bank details

Is this legit?
Original post by Analyst89
I have an email stating I paid too much car tax, which they provided me with a link and once I clicked it provided me with a gov.uk website to fill in my bank details

Is this legit?

Almost certainly not. The DVLA send refunds in the post by cheque. See https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-refund.

What is the full address to the "gov.uk website" you are on. which is asking for bank details?
Reply 2
Is this legit?

No.

Is this legit?

It's a phishing scam in all likelihood.

As above normally the government notifies you of any rebates by sending a physical letter, then depending on next steps you either make arrangements with them directly or wait to receive a cheque by post.

You can just find the number on the gov.uk website directly (navigate to it through going to gov.uk on your URL bar then search in the site itself - don't use an external link) and call them to ask them whether they sent you this email as well. They will most likely say the same as above.

I would recommend changing your passwords and running your antivirus software scan to ensure there wasn't any malware involved in the link. I suspect it's just a pure phishing scam hoping to get people to enter their bank details.

If you did enter your bank details, contact your bank's fraud department ASAP.
Reply 4
Thank you all

I had a similar email regarding a tax rebate and I know they correspond via email.

The links has a different name and I haven't entered my bank details

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending