The Student Room Group

Is £45 for an hour driving lesson expensive?

We live in the South East so I know tests are slightly higher than up north but omg! It’s also in my own car so the driving instructor isn’t paying for any petrol… am I being scammed? She was recommended highly on Facebook, bearing mind this is an automatic license lesson as well! I googled and apparently £35 is the going rate…
im sorry but you are getting SCAMMED HARD. if you're rich then go ahead but for me its a big no no. i live in london and i paid £30 for a good instructor and used her car. i passed by the way so that means she was good. find another instructor you have all the time to research
Original post by Bigfishytime
im sorry but you are getting SCAMMED HARD. if you're rich then go ahead but for me its a big no no. i live in london and i paid £30 for a good instructor and used her car. i passed by the way so that means she was good. find another instructor you have all the time to research

No I agree thanks for confirming! And to think she’s not even knocking any money off for using my petrol!!
Original post by Amydesigns1104
We live in the South East so I know tests are slightly higher than up north but omg! It’s also in my own car so the driving instructor isn’t paying for any petrol… am I being scammed? She was recommended highly on Facebook, bearing mind this is an automatic license lesson as well! I googled and apparently £35 is the going rate…

Yes, that is way too expensive. My lessons were only £30 an hour. Although this was in 2022 (March-November)
Reply 4
The going rate is about £35. (February 2023 to April 2023)
Yeah considering they aren't having to supply a car that's a sky high price, good rep or no.
Reply 6

That is definately a scam, why is your own car being used as well? Shouldn't it be the instructor's care?
Reply 7

I say start taking lessons from someone who is a part of a driving school as this is legit !
Original post by ma937
I say start taking lessons from someone who is a part of a driving school as this is legit !

That has nothing to do with them being legit, it just means they've joined a big company as an employee - they get appalling reviews just like the others.
Reply 9
Original post by StriderHort
That has nothing to do with them being legit, it just means they've joined a big company as an employee - they get appalling reviews just like the others.

Tbh once the driver from a specific school get a certain amount of bad reviews they will get fired obviously as they are tarnishing the rep, so I think be more cautious with drivers who are private!
Original post by ma937
Tbh once the driver from a specific school get a certain amount of bad reviews they will get fired obviously as they are tarnishing the rep, so I think be more cautious with drivers who are private!

...You'd like to think they worked that way :tongue: The problem with being part of something that big and impersonal is a lot of people stop caring or taking any responsibility and essentially the organization starts accepting a failure rate. You could argue a private instructor has much more to lose and has to trade on their own reputation.
Reply 11
Original post by StriderHort
...You'd like to think they worked that way :tongue: The problem with being part of something that big and impersonal is a lot of people stop caring or taking any responsibility and essentially the organization starts accepting a failure rate. You could argue a private instructor has much more to lose and has to trade on their own reputation.

Hmm that is trueee but It hard trying to find legit rating for private instructor as one of them I saw they had fake reviews from their family and friends so a lot of are disingenuous and sly
Original post by ma937
Hmm that is trueee but It hard trying to find legit rating for private instructor as one of them I saw they had fake reviews from their family and friends so a lot of are disingenuous and sly

Agreed! My last driving instructor would always go on her phone (texting) and I’d always have to ask her where I was going at the roundabout! She was completely unprofessional but as she was an independent instructor I couldn’t file the complaint anywhere!
Reply 13
Agreed! My last driving instructor would always go on her phone (texting) and I’d always have to ask her where I was going at the roundabout! She was completely unprofessional but as she was an independent instructor I couldn’t file the complaint anywhere!

Omggg my teacher does that tooo so i basically just drive myself but he is with a driving school and idk how to get rid of him cos I kinda learnt a lot in the first 5 lessons but not anymore but my parents say is the worst changing teacher so idek what to do!

That's straight up illegal btw, the person supervising you whether instructor or a mate, cannot be doing anything that they couldn't be doing as the active driver, like being on their phone and distracted.
Reply 15
Original post by intelligent-matc
That's straight up illegal btw, the person supervising you whether instructor or a mate, cannot be doing anything that they couldn't be doing as the active driver, like being on their phone and distracted.

Wait untill u see my teacher he is the worst I pretty much was independent driving when I was in my 4th lesson so yhh I really want to leave him but my test is in a couple of months ):

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending