The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial CS with no math/cs competitions (UKMT, Bebras, etc)

I will hopefully be applying to Imperial for computer science this year and was wondering if they would look down on me for not having any math/cs competitions such as the UKMT in my personal statement. All the recent personal statements I have seen online that got into Imperial CS seem to have awards in these competitions.

I have actually taken part in the UKMT before and in the UK Bebras, I received a Silver award in the UKMT Senior Challenge and a Merit in the UK Bebras. I am not sure if it is worth mentioning these as they arent as good as the awards I have seen on many other personal statements. Would it be better to just say I have participated in these competitions?

If anyone has received an offer to Imperial for Computer Science without mentioning competitions please could you let me know?
Reply 1
Original post by MayOM1
I will hopefully be applying to Imperial for computer science this year and was wondering if they would look down on me for not having any math/cs competitions such as the UKMT in my personal statement. All the recent personal statements I have seen online that got into Imperial CS seem to have awards in these competitions.

I have actually taken part in the UKMT before and in the UK Bebras, I received a Silver award in the UKMT Senior Challenge and a Merit in the UK Bebras. I am not sure if it is worth mentioning these as they arent as good as the awards I have seen on many other personal statements. Would it be better to just say I have participated in these competitions?

If anyone has received an offer to Imperial for Computer Science without mentioning competitions please could you let me know?

it is definitely better to say what awards you have received in those competitions than just saying you participated.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by lesgo21
it is definitely better to say what awards you have received in those competitions than just saying you participated.

Yeah but they aren't as impressive as the awards I've seen other people get who get into imperial for cs. For example in every recent succesful personal statement i've read so far for imperial, everyone has achieved gold in the UKMT Senior challenge. I feel like it would be better to just not mention the competition at all.
Reply 3
Original post by MayOM1
Yeah but they aren't as impressive as the awards I've seen other people get who get into imperial for cs. For example in every recent succesful personal statement i've read so far for imperial, everyone has achieved gold in the UKMT Senior challenge. I feel like it would be better to just not mention the competition at all.

You don't have to mention it if you don't want to. At the end of the day, you are just trying to sell yourself as much as possible in the 47 lines and 4000 characters.
Reply 4
Original post by lesgo21
You don't have to mention it if you don't want to. At the end of the day, you are just trying to sell yourself as much as possible in the 47 lines and 4000 characters.

yeah ur right, but im just wondering if its better to mention I took part in these competitons, say the awards i got in them or to just not mention them at all.
Reply 5
Original post by MayOM1

what personal statements have you been looking at
Reply 6
Original post by cooldude75
what personal statements have you been looking at

On youtube and i found a folder with some recent ones. Im ignoring old ones from many years ago since its gotten more competitive than it was back then.
Should award be mentioned?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by FairAboutUK
Should award be mentioned?

Sorry I'm confused on what ur trying to say?
Original post by MayOM1
Sorry I'm confused on what ur trying to say?

I meant that placing the awards in the personal statement can come across as a form of showing off. Is it good?
Reply 10
Original post by FairAboutUK
I meant that placing the awards in the personal statement can come across as a form of showing off. Is it good?

Well yh, ur meant to show off urself in ur personal statement.
I applied and got a place this year without any competitions. Don't really know what else to say but it can be done.
Reply 12
Original post by dogzilla154
I applied and got a place this year without any competitions. Don't really know what else to say but it can be done.

Ok that good to know, if you are fine with it, may I know what you mentioned in your personal statement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending