The Student Room Group

computer science and further math

for universities it says that they like further math but not must (like imperial), but when I look at the statistics most of the admission are candidate with further math. my nephew went to imperial summer school and he was told if the school offer further math then you need to have taking it to apply , but it does not mention that in the website.

so my nephew is young carer and he took 3 A leveles, math, physic,history. imperial was his dream univ until he was told that and he is not sure if can apply !

I thought as he has a lot of contextual criteria that he can apply, Is that right ?
Original post by Ibmoahsa
for universities it says that they like further math but not must (like imperial), but when I look at the statistics most of the admission are candidate with further math. my nephew went to imperial summer school and he was told if the school offer further math then you need to have taking it to apply , but it does not mention that in the website.

so my nephew is young carer and he took 3 A leveles, math, physic,history. imperial was his dream univ until he was told that and he is not sure if can apply !

I thought as he has a lot of contextual criteria that he can apply, Is that right ?

Imperial would very much like applicants to have Further Maths. They can't mandate it, as not all schools offer Further Maths so making it a requirement would be unfair to those students who simply didn't have the opportunity to study it. However, for those students who did have the opportunity to study it, not having taken it would stand out. I don't think it would lead to an instant rejection, but it would certainly make the application less competitive. However, as your nephew "has a lot of contextual criteria", those may well offset things.

If Imperial is his "dream" uni, then he should absolutely apply. He just needs to be aware of the risk of disappointment, and ensure that the majority of the universities to which he's applying are less risky.
Reply 2
Thank You I appreciate your answer. I thought the same applying to imperial as risky choice but having couple of safe Universities,
Thank You I appreciate your answer. I thought the same applying to imperial as risky choice but having couple of safe Universities,

Just a warning Imperial only makes offers to 1 in 20 applicants for CS. It is or certainly was their most competitive subject and without FM your nephew is likely to get rejected.

However there is nothing stopping him applying as he has 4 other options. It is just being realistic that rejection is very likely and not beating himself up if he gets rejected. As already said his other options do need to be realistic.
Reply 4
so it is that difficult !
thank you for telling me . I will try and ask him to look at another option.
so it is that difficult !
thank you for telling me . I will try and ask him to look at another option.

Imperial is extremely difficult to get into and CS was their most competitive subject seconded by Maths. They have recently introduced a very competitive course in Data Science and other things which might be more competitive. Nearly everybody applying for CS will have FM so he will be at a massive disadvantage. If he does apply he needs to be realistic about his chances and not get too upset about the rejection because the vast majority get rejected. He can apply as he has 4 other options but my worry is how he will feel against a highly rejection.
Reply 6
if your nephew meets the Widening Participation scheme (https://my.imperial.ac.uk/WideningParticipationEligibility/), then for CS he is guaranteed to enter the interview process (pre-interview test and interview if he passes the test). while most interviewees (~95%) get an offer, the lack of FM might make him less competitive.

if his predicted is a mixture of A's and A*'s, he should definitely consider applying to one of the higher-rated unis as the selection process is generally more lenient to those who meet contextual criteria
Reply 7
I read the link, so he will go through to the online test , if he pass then he needs to do interview. Is the 95% for after first stage or after the interview.
Also do they look at GCSE beyond the minimum or they want perfect 9/8 ?
Reply 8
the 94.7% of Imperial CS applicants starts from those who receive an online test (585 applicants last year) to those who pass the online test, have an interview and finally receive an offer (554).

Imperial will look at A-Level's and likely other qualifications in his UCAS application. however, an email from Imperial's Freedom of Information Team about undergraduate applicants (https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/admission_statistics_for_success#incoming-2408815) confirms that "GCSE grades are not taken into consideration expect as an English language qualification", so as long as he has a grade 6 or B in English Language, they likely won't be looked at in great detail.

as your nephew went to Imperial Summer School, he presumably would've met the requirement of a "Majority of 9-7 grades (A*-A) at GCSE level or the international equivalent, with a minimum of grade 7 (A) in maths and science subjects", which seems pretty competitive enough to me, so his GCSE's should be perfectly fine.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending