The Student Room Group

Computer Science or Economics for investment banking

Hello,

I am gonna start sixth form in like a month. I am currently planning to do Maths, further maths and physics.

Since, I am doing fm i wanna pick 4 A levels. Confused between economics and comp-sci. In the future, I just want a high earning potential and not sure what job I will do.
Regarding the uni course, I am tossing between economics and comp sci.

I wanna apply to top unis such as cambridge, imperial, lse.

Now, should I pick economics or comp-sci as neither of those degree courses require the specific subject?

About myself- I dont like writing essays and i know that in econ I'll be answering those 25 marker which could be a nightmare. However, I havent done comp-sci at gcse so am not sure how I will find that at A level.

All in all Im ready to put in as much hard work as I can. Just wanna know if I pick comp sci and wanna do econ at uni... will it be considered as a 'soft'A level since it has 20% project work. Similarly, if i pick econ and wanna do comp sci at uni, guess that would be ok?

Any response/advice is highly appreciated
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shubham9548
Hello,

I am gonna start sixth form in like a month. I am currently planning to do Maths, further maths and physics.

Since, I am doing fm i wanna pick 4 A levels. Confused between economics and comp-sci. In the future, I just want a high earning potential and not sure what job I will do.
Regarding the uni course, I am tossing between economics and comp sci.

I wanna apply to top unis such as cambridge, imperial, lse.

Now, should I pick economics or comp-sci as neither of those degree courses require the specific subject?

About myself- I dont like writing essays and i know that in econ I'll be answering those 25 marker which could be a nightmare. However, I havent done comp-sci at gcse so am not sure how I will find that at A level.

All in all Im ready to put in as much hard work as I can. Just wanna know if I pick comp sci and wanna do econ at uni... will it be considered as a 'soft'A level since it has 20% project work. Similarly, if i pick econ and wanna do comp sci at uni, guess that would be ok?

Any response/advice is highly appreciated

There isn't really such a distinction between "hard" and "soft" A-levels these days, and the only two unis which publish preferred A-level lists (UCL and LSE) both list economics as a preferred subject (along with CS). Note that doing 4 A-levels does not give you "bonus points" when applying to degree programmes and the only situation where it's recommended is if you're doing A-level Maths and Further Maths as part of the four, due to the synergy between those subjects.

Also note that doing a degree in CS is not going to guarantee you a "high earning potential". In fact UK CS graduate prospects were so poor the government commissioned two inquiries into the matter - see here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518575/ind-16-5-shadbolt-review-computer-science-graduate-employability.pdf . Additionally I'd note the common misconception that a degree in CS is a degree in "programming" is incorrect, it's a course in computer science and so necessarily covers the mathematical and theoretical foundations of computing and programming is often a relatively small part of the course. If you have no interest in the subject outside of programming you would be better off doing another degree and just learning to code on your own separately and building up a portfolio of self-directed coding projects documented on github.

You should also not assume that correlation between a degree subject and average graduate salaries within a year of graduating implies a causal relationship. There are plenty of other potential factors, including that for example for economics degrees, students pursuing those may be more motivated in the first place to pursue aggressively internship and placement opportunities which themselves correlate with more success in graduate job placement and earnings. The mean salary can also be skewed by a handful of graduates from "top" universities going into very lucrative graduate roles which are not representative of the modal graduate salaries for those subjects.

Worth also bearing in mind that that in the longer term graduate salaries across all subjects tend to become similar. A specific study comparing STEM and non-STEM subjects can be found here: https://figshare.le.ac.uk/articles/report/The_employment_trajectories_of_Science_Technology_Engineering_and_Mathematics_graduates/10234421 .Essentially your degree does not determine your salary in the long run. Focus on picking subjects and a degree to study based on what you find enjoyable and that you do well in - no need to force yourself into a round hole if you're a square peg, as in the long run the outcomes are largely similar. Do however make a point of pursuing placement and internship opportunities wherever possible during your degree.

At this point though for your A-levels just focus on what your actual interests and strengths are. If they're essay writing, aim for those kinds of subjects that cover topics of interest. If it's not essay writing, don't take those subjects. Then follow those strengths through to degree level - and when looking at degree courses, don't be afraid to consider things you haven't had a chance to study before, and bear in mind graduate employers are normally not hiring based on degree subject outside of some specific areas (mostly certain STEM roles, although as noted in the above a lot of non-STEM graduates do ultimately end up working in those roles as well).
As above, there are no hard or soft AL's. Only 'essential' and 'preferred'. If you are ticking those boxes then just do whatever you will enjoy and get the best grades in.
Reply 3
Hello

I am going to do maths, further maths, physics in A levels. Confused whether I should pick economics or comp-sci A level.
I dont like essay writing coz I hated gcse english and I know that in A level econ there is a lot of essay writing especially those 25 markers! Those could be a nightmare for me. However, I do like the economic theory
Regarding comp-sci, I havent done it at gcse so am not sure how I will find it. The good thing is that it doesnt has that much writing compared to econ. I have been doing some coding on python and I dont hate that.

Future plan- Am not sure whether I wanna do comp sci or econ at uni. All I know that I dont need to pick econ or comp sci to do it at uni I guess. I think its better to get that A/A* for top unis which I would be applying for.

Do I have a higher chance of getting that top grade in econ or comp-sci?

Any advice/response is appreciated
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
I did economics and it turned out a lot of it was getting the correct structure to your answers. There is multiple big mark questions in the papers and in my course (Economics B) there is not that much mathematics. I personally wish I had taken computer science over it. However, I think it might be like marmite, you either love it or hate it. If you didn't like English I wouldn't recommend it.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by FinnianCW
I did economics and it turned out a lot of it was getting the correct structure to your answers. There is multiple big mark questions in the papers and in my course (Economics B) there is not that much mathematics. I personally wish I had taken computer science over it. However, I think it might be like marmite, you either love it or hate it. If you didn't like English I wouldn't recommend it.

Hey thanks for the response!
I am actually gonna repeat year 12 coz I am changing subjects but lets not get into that.

I have done business A level 1st year and I didnt like to answer those 20 markers where we need to evaluate, give both sides of argument and conclusion.
Think its likely that I might not like economics as well

Do you think the same?
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
As above, there are no hard or soft AL's. Only 'essential' and 'preferred'. If you are ticking those boxes then just do whatever you will enjoy and get the best grades in.

Can I have your advice into what subject will I be able to get the best grade?
Comp sci or econ

For econ... I dont like those 20 markers essay questions as I think Im not that good in it but I do like the content of econ

For comp-sci I havent done it at gcse but people say you dont need to. They dont have those 20 markers as well so no essay writing only 5 or 6 mark question max I would be answering.

I have hated gcse english btw due to so many long answers.

Which subject would you recommend me to pick?
Comp sci or econ

For econ... I dont like those 20 markers essay questions as I think Im not that good in it but I do like the content of econ

For comp-sci I havent done it at gcse but people say you dont need to. They dont have those 20 markers as well so no essay writing only 5 or 6 mark question max I would be answering.

I can't really answer this as I'm not an expert in the AL syllabus for either. A question for your sixth form I think.
Reply 8
Hello

I am going to do maths, further maths, physics in A levels. Confused whether I should pick economics or comp-sci A level.
I dont like essay writing coz I hated gcse english and I know that in A level econ there is a lot of essay writing especially those 25 markers! Those could be a nightmare for me. However, I do like the economic theory
Regarding comp-sci, I havent done it at gcse so am not sure how I will find it. The good thing is that it doesnt has that much writing compared to econ. I have been doing some coding on python and I dont hate that.

Future plan- Am not sure whether I wanna do comp sci or econ at uni. All I know that I dont need to pick econ or comp sci to do it at uni I guess. I think its better to get that A/A* for top unis which I would be applying for.

Do I have a higher chance of getting that top grade in econ or comp-sci?

Any advice/response is appreciated

i do maths, fm and cs, and i can say that cs (aqa) is sort of hard. There's a lot of theory to cover, though some of it just stems from gcse. remember theres also an NEA to do as well which is about 20% of ur grade and youve got stuff like skeleton code. since you already like econ theory, maybe u could stick w/ econ. u dont directly need cs at uni though its preferable. side note, for uni theres a course at st andrews where it does a joint degree between cs and econ.
Reply 9
Comp sci or econ

btw theres 12 markers in cs for aqa tho
Reply 10
Original post by mskr710
btw theres 12 markers in cs for aqa tho

My college will do OCR
Reply 11
Original post by mskr710
i do maths, fm and cs, and i can say that cs (aqa) is sort of hard. There's a lot of theory to cover, though some of it just stems from gcse. remember theres also an NEA to do as well which is about 20% of ur grade and youve got stuff like skeleton code. since you already like econ theory, maybe u could stick w/ econ. u dont directly need cs at uni though its preferable. side note, for uni theres a course at st andrews where it does a joint degree between cs and econ.

Thanks for the advice

Since, I havent done cs at gcse and have a very limited to no experience in coding, would I still be able to do it if I work hard?
Reply 12
Hello,

I am gonna start my A levels in a month. Am thinking of picking:
Maths
Further maths
Physics
Computer science

I dont have any problems with maths/fm and physics.
The problem is that I havent done computer science at gcse. Now, I know that Im allowed to pick it at A level, but should I?
Will I be able to get a good grade as I would be at a slight disadvantage.
Now, I dont have any knowledge of comp sci and any experience of coding.

After considering all this, should I pick computer science and try for imperial or cambridge coz I think the chances of me getting in is quite low. Even if I get A*A*A*A, I might not have much to write in my personal statement.

The other option which I was considering was to go to LSE with the following subject combinations:
Maths
Further maths
Physics
Economics

The problem is that I just dont like writing the essays which I would need to in A level econ but I do like to study its content. People say that econ is similar to geography which am not sure about. I loved gcse geography though and got a grade 9 in it but i dont wanna pick geography for A level.

I also have work experience with an accounting firm so that would be quite useful to put in the application.

Finally, I need to know whether I should try for comp sci at imperial or economics at LSE. Which would be better considering other factors as well such as my future earnings, job prospects.

Also, if you are doing comp sci or econ at A level, please feel free to share your experience.

Any advice/response is appreciated.
Reply 13
Hello,

Maths
Further maths
Physics
Computer science

The problem is that I havent done computer science at gcse. Now, I know that Im allowed to pick it at A level, but should I?

After considering all this, should I pick computer science and try for imperial or cambridge coz I think the chances of me getting in is quite low. Even if I get A*A*A*A, I might not have much to write in my personal statement.

The other option which I was considering was to go to LSE with the following subject combinations:
Maths
Further maths
Physics
Economics

The problem is that I just dont like writing the essays which I would need to in A level econ but I do like to study its content. People say that econ is similar to geography which am not sure about. I loved gcse geography though and got a grade 9 in it but i dont wanna pick geography for A level.

I also have work experience with an accounting firm so that would be quite useful to put in the application.

Finally, I need to know whether I should try for comp sci at imperial or economics at LSE. Which would be better considering other factors as well such as my future earnings, job prospects.

Also, if you are doing comp sci or econ at A level, please feel free to share your experience.

(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 14
Hello,

Maths
Further maths
Physics
Computer science

Maths
Further maths
Physics
Economics

Reply 15
Hello,

Maths
Further maths
Physics
Computer science

Maths
Further maths
Physics
Economics

Reply 16
Computer science A-level was around before the GCSE. It's fine to take it without having done it at GCSE and many people do so and do very well.

As for job prospects, you can't go wrong with either. Really it'll depend more on you than the university. Pick the course you'd rather spend 3-4 years studying.
Reply 17
Original post by Sinnoh
Computer science A-level was around before the GCSE. It's fine to take it without having done it at GCSE and many people do so and do very well.

As for job prospects, you can't go wrong with either. Really it'll depend more on you than the university. Pick the course you'd rather spend 3-4 years studying.

Are you currently in university? Which one did you go to
Reply 18
Original post by Sinnoh

And thanks for letting me know about the A level
Reply 19
My college will do OCR

i think ocr have 12/9 markers as well lol

https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/676743-question-paper-algorithms-and-programming.pdf

page 14 of this has a 12 marker ^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending