The Student Room Group

I can’t play classical instruments and am starting music gcse

I’m starting GCSE music soon, and picked it without really doing adequate research. I assume I got it on the basis I play trombone, but I am awful at it. I’ve been playing for about 6 months and I do not practice nearly as much as I should, so all I can really do is play simple nursery rhymes and a few basic notes. I am self taught guitar, but mostly play rhythm because I don’t even know where to start with solos and such. I also sing in the main school choir, plus a few other choirs within the school, but I’m probably an average singer, I don’t know really. I’ve also dabbled in keyboards and such but not enough to say I play it. Essentially I don’t really know what to do for performance due to the fact I don’t sing solo in front of people and can’t really play any instruments. On top of this, everybody else who picked music has either been playing a classical instrument out of the womb, or started having lessons in year seven and are around grades 3-5. I don’t know what to do. I was good at ks3 music but because that was mostly just listening and either musical theatre or edm for 3 years. I have a basic knowledge of music theory. Should I just swap music for something else if possible? I’m conflicted.

Are you starting year 10 soon? Discuss with your teacher and maybe try out a few lessons, ask about the exam part and how much each component weighs on the final grade. If it feels too hard you can drop it and choose something else

Quick Reply

Latest