The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester or sheffield

Hi I'm going to study engineering and have an offer i've confirmed for both Manchester and Sheffield. In the future I want to work internationally (outside of the UK) and I was just wondering if choosing the University I go to will impact that, and if so which university would be better to choose. My offer is Physics at Manchester and Engineering at Sheffield I would be very happy doing either so the course isn't what is important. Many thanks
Original post by FinnianCW
Hi I'm going to study engineering and have an offer i've confirmed for both Manchester and Sheffield. In the future I want to work internationally (outside of the UK) and I was just wondering if choosing the University I go to will impact that, and if so which university would be better to choose. My offer is Physics at Manchester and Engineering at Sheffield I would be very happy doing either so the course isn't what is important. Many thanks

If your course is not the deciding factor, did you visit both campuses? Which one did you like more? Sometimes, it is more ‘the vibe’. I cannot describe it in words, but the feeling that you just want to study there. Like when my biology teacher when to study at sheffield, when he visited the campus, he said it was like ‘this is the place’
(edited 7 months ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
If you are purely looking at international reputation, University of Manchester would be 'better'. That is because of its consistently high international rankings (especially in STEM subjects), research influence, industry/higher education connections, and most of all, people would be more likely to have heard of Manchester compared to Sheffield (as cities).

However, that is not to say you should write off Sheffield. If you already have your sights on engineering as a career, going straight to studying engineering would be pretty helpful. There are some skills you can learn in an engineering degree geared towards that profession which you don't really learn in physics.
Original post by FinnianCW

Hey,
It sounds like a tricky decision, both Universities are very similar in terms of their reputation. It may be worth talking to students who are currently studying the subjects that you have places for and asking them about career opportunities, future employers and placements abroad. There is a chat function on our website where you can talk to current students and I'm sure Manchester Uni will have a similar thing https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat .
I hope this helps! I would not worry to much about it as they are both good choices, so in the long term I do not think there will be much difference, but speak to some students and see what they say.
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Reply 4
sheffield
If you want to work internationally- probably Manchester as it does have very slightly better international reputation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending