The Student Room Group

Idk wtf to do with my life...

Hello there, I have only just got my A Level results this August and I have changed my career plans a couple of times now. - For clarity, I got ADHD, just so it's clear what's going on.

I am looking at doing economics so that afterwards I could do a masters somewhere and all, but then I haven't got maths A Level and on GCSE I have a C, therefore I am not an ideal economics applicant. On the other hand I know that it's really important what uni you go to, especially to get into master's.

I was given an offer from Swansea, but they have a B module for folks with no maths A level, which is weak in maths terms, and idk wtf I am gonna do after this one)

Besides, idk if economics is really for me... the problem is that I have only been seriously researching universities and degrees since this August even tho I am 19. I am pretty sure that I have been obsessing over economics related stuff for years now, when I sat in history class I always linked everything to economics and I have been researching economics stuff for a long time on my own, so I am generally interested in how the world works and how people interact with it, hence I picked hist, chem and bio.

What would your advice be on economics and econ related degrees? Do you know anything that a student who's weak in maths and good in history type subjects could do??? I must say I generally find the thought of maths a bit daunting, but I still kinda like it which is a paradox.
Original post by TorturedArtist
Hello there, I have only just got my A Level results this August and I have changed my career plans a couple of times now. - For clarity, I got ADHD, just so it's clear what's going on.

I am looking at doing economics so that afterwards I could do a masters somewhere and all, but then I haven't got maths A Level and on GCSE I have a C, therefore I am not an ideal economics applicant. On the other hand I know that it's really important what uni you go to, especially to get into master's.

I was given an offer from Swansea, but they have a B module for folks with no maths A level, which is weak in maths terms, and idk wtf I am gonna do after this one)

Besides, idk if economics is really for me... the problem is that I have only been seriously researching universities and degrees since this August even tho I am 19. I am pretty sure that I have been obsessing over economics related stuff for years now, when I sat in history class I always linked everything to economics and I have been researching economics stuff for a long time on my own, so I am generally interested in how the world works and how people interact with it, hence I picked hist, chem and bio.

What would your advice be on economics and econ related degrees? Do you know anything that a student who's weak in maths and good in history type subjects could do??? I must say I generally find the thought of maths a bit daunting, but I still kinda like it which is a paradox.

What you could do is a degree with the Open University (https://www.open.ac.uk/courses). It is cheaper than degrees at other universities and paying for it is super easy. After completing a degree with the OU, you can do a Master's and even a PhD. After you do what you want with the OU, you can then apply to universities that you want to go to and you'll have a better chance of getting in and because you'd be a tad older than the other students, the universities are less likely to look at your GCSEs and A levels as they will prioritise your degree and life experience. Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending