The Student Room Group

Gap year or no HELP PLEASE

So I had 2 gap years due to covid/taking extra A-levels. After this, in sept of 2022 I started at an (RG) uni that I felt was the wrong choice.

Maybe it was the course (I honestly dk what I wanna study, plus I was surrounded by unmotivated ppl with like CCD who just didn't care and literally did not want to be there - at least 5-10 people dropped out, maybe more, I'm an A*AA student, very easily influenced which is why I need a more academic env), maybe it was my HORRIBLE mental health, or maybe it was bc I felt backed into a corner with my choice of going there.

In terms of the uni/sports/social life/campus, I really liked it. Anyway, now I can either go back to that uni, or take ANOTHER year out and reapply to unis I'm more interested in going to.

I'm super worried, bc by sept 2024, it'll be 4 gap years and I'll be 22 yo. There's no guarantee I'll get in to them (2 specific ones) and I may not like them as much as I like my current one - even if I do get in, I'll still lose another year. If I don't get in, I'd happily go back to my current uni as I have had a good time and settled in well there.

Important note - I didn't sit exams at uni this yr (I was excused due to severe mental health issues). I'd resit my 1st yr for 2nd yr entry to other unis in 2024. I spoke with the 2 unis I'm interested in, they both said I'd be much more likely to get into 1st yr, as they rarely allow 2nd yr entry.

So now it's like do I go back to this uni, resit, and apply for 2nd year (very unlikely allowed)? Or do I take ANOTHER gap yr, apply for 1st yr entry, but obvs no guarantee I'll get in, and if I do get in, run the risk of hating it at the new uni?
It's not an option to resit first yr at my uni, and then sit into 1st yr into the other uni in 2024 bc there's only one gift yr with SFE.

PLEASE HELP IDK WHAT TO DO, GAP YEAR OR NO?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh god that is some situation. Listen go back to your existing university and try your best. Weird to say but talk to someone about it. Please prioritise your mental health and such, talk to careers advisors and such and just please take care of yourself <3
Reply 2
Hi, I appreciate your reply :smile:
I understand why you'd say that, but tbh I didn't want to go to this uni in the first place, and looking back, I WISH I'd just taken the year out and applied for 2023 entry instead of rushing there.
I just feel I could be somewhere where I'd like the course better. Tbh, I really, really like one of the unis I'm interested in changing to.
But taking another year out feels so wrong and going back to my first uni feels so wrong. Everything feels wrong...
Reply 3
college?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by IO bear
college?

Wdym?
Reply 5
Bump
Reply 6
bump bump - I REALLY NEED HELP
Reply 7
Sorry lol i go to school,
i meant that maybe consider going to college as in normal college (post 16) for all ages and doing your course there
also, you need to know your goal, do you want to go to uni and why?
what course are you studying, is it hard?
does studying put pressure on you and your mental health?
will going to uni make your mental health worse?
all in all, DO NOT take a gap year unless your life goal is to go to uni
ABSOLUTELY, consider to college and taking your course there and if that's not possible then take your time and do the gap year.
Remember, health is wealth, what's the point of eventually getting a degree and your mental health has not improved? How will you live in the future? There's lots of support in unis but not much...
sorry, idk your situation or what you are going through(ADHD, depression..) remember to be kind to yourself :smile:(this may take months to years but keep reminding yourself)
P.S. you may have high grades, but you may feel like it does not matter because its worthless and pointless because you are destined to be unhappy. I thought that way too. Most people would tell you to choose to be happy, that you are smart and you should go for this course and uni blah blah blah.
But you have a privilege. You get high grades despite your mental health because you are capable of it. Some people with similar mental health don't make it pass GCSEs. THey keep trying and failing. You have the privilege to even apply for unis. So go, take the gap year, and in that year revise like your life depends on it
you have a privilege, some people don't have access to unis or an education in other parts of the world. You are so young, just 22yo bro. I saw a person on the news going to uni at 70. Do it before its too late. But as i said before is going to uni going to help you?
mental health first, always.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by IO bear
i meant that maybe consider going to college as in normal college (post 16) for all ages and doing your course there
ABSOLUTELY, consider to college and taking your course there and if that's not possible then take your time and do the gap year.
Remember, health is wealth, what's the point of eventually getting a degree and your mental health has not improved? How will you live in the future? There's lots of support in unis but not much...
sorry, idk your situation or what you are going through(ADHD, depression..) remember to be kind to yourself :smile:(this may take months to years but keep reminding yourself)
P.S. you may have high grades, but you may feel like it does not matter because its worthless and pointless because you are destined to be unhappy. I thought that way too. Most people would tell you to choose to be happy, that you are smart and you should go for this course and uni blah blah blah.
But you have a privilege. You get high grades despite your mental health because you are capable of it. Some people with similar mental health don't make it pass GCSEs. THey keep trying and failing. You have the privilege to even apply for unis. So go, take the gap year, and in that year revise like your life depends on it
you have a privilege, some people don't have access to unis or an education in other parts of the world. You are so young, just 22yo bro. I saw a person on the news going to uni at 70. Do it before its too late. But as i said before is going to uni going to help you?

Thank you for your reply!
I'm so sorry, I'm just abit confused about the college thing? I achieved A*AA, so I'm not really planning on resitting those (tbh I didn't do that well, I was supposed to get 3A* but my grades slipped bc of mental health😭) ohhhh, did you mean doing my degree there? Basically, it's not that I don't wanna go to uni, I reallyyyyyy do, but not to THIS specific uni I'm at. I feel I can go somewhere better and that I'll really regret staying here, since I'm surrounded by the type of people I mentioned in the original post, and also I didn't want to go here in the first place, I just screwed up my application last year.
When I said I didn't sit exams, I meant I didn't sit the uni exams bc of severe mental health issues (btw you're weirdly bang-on, it is ADHD and severe depression, and also anxiety, often moderate but usually severe)
You're very right about the mental health part, tbh I'm hoping that with my ADHD diagnosis and the right support, maybe meds as well, that things will get better.
I know I definitely want to go to uni, I'm sure about that. My issue is, as you said, I don't feel like I'll ever be happy. Like I rushed into going to my current uni last year for the wrong reasons, in hindsight I should've taken the year out and applied to the uni I actually did want to go to.
The thing is, it's all my fault, I'm the one that screwed up and now the consequences are biting me in the backside. I also can't decide what course I want to do because I just don't know what I want. I can think of 3 different careers I'd like, that all require different degrees. I feel like if I choose one, I'm giving up the others.
I'm just so indecisive, and always make the wrong decisions. And literally my mind changes constantly, I literally cannot trust myself. I think that bc of this and my overthinking and never being able to decide, I'll never be happy.
BUT OMG YOU'RE SO RIGHT, like you've literally said everything that I think inside.
You're very correct though, there are people that can't go to uni and I am privileged. Btw I'm 21, but if I take a gap year, I'll be 22 when I start uni again. Imagine, at 21 I still don't have any clue what I want to study.
Also, yes, all the courses I'm interested in are hard, I'm interested I'm chemistry, Chemical Engineering, and electrical and electronic engineering.
Reply 9
Original post by IO bear

Also, you're so lovely, thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful words, and for being there for me even tho I'm a random person on the Internet <333
Reply 10
Original post by IO bear

Oh also, another important thing. When I first sat my A-levels, I didn't take chemistry. And then I wanted to medicine but I only had bio, so I took a gap year and took chem but my mental health was so so so bad that I only got a B, despite getting A*AA in my others. I was meant to apply for med that year, but my mental health was spiralling out of control and I couldn't even take care of myself and I had zero support at home, and there was none at school, since I was an external candidate.
And then I wised up and realised I needed to do the UCAT but it was literally mid September and I knew I'd never be able to get in enough practise in 7-8 days. So I just left it. And now I reallyyyyy regret it. And just a few days ago, I was thinking why not resit my chem A-level and apply for med this sept/Oct, but I've put myself in the exact same position as last year, where I have nowhere near enough time to revise the UCAT. I'm confident I can achieve my A in chemistry and that I can write a decent personal statement. But there's no way I can get in enough UCAT practise in like under a week and a haĺf. The latest test dates are like 18/19th September, nowhere had any left for the 27/28th.
And I won't have any support at all in terms of writing my personal statement which is very important, and nor for the interviews which I hear are quite tough.
Basically, I'd be doing it all alone, but that would be completely fine if I had enough time. I feel that I could definitely do it, not saying I'd defo get in, but I think I could defo get through the application process even tho I'd be doing it alone. But it's too late now bc there's just not enough time.

I've been wanting to do med for about nearly 3 years now, but it's just too late. Some unis said resits are completely accepted and wouldn't affect my application at all so even that would've been fine, and since I have extenuating circumstances, they'd allow me to explain why I had done an incomplete year at uni.

But it's just way too late for me to start that process now. I wish I'd thought of it back in June. Like I say, there's no guarantee I'd get in, but at least I'd have tried, and trying is better than not trying and always wondering.

Ugh everything is just so wrong... it's so frustrating, because I KNOW I could've achieved 4A* at A-level and I KNOW I could've applied to med and I know I could've done well in the UCAT. Like I know that I'm smart enough for these things, but my mental health is always holding me back and I just end up ruining everything. I achieved 11 9s at GCSE, but when I was 16 was when my mental health really spiralled and everything went downhill. I just feel like I'm underachieving sooooo much and am not reaching my potential, and it's me that's the problem, like my mental health and the fact that I just can never do anything properly.
I'm so so lucky, I've been blessed with a brain that finds it easy to understand things and learn, but I'm just not good enough to actually use it and do all the things I'm capable of.
I have SO MANY REGRETS, like my grades are ****, I'm ****, everything's ****....
Reply 11
you are very welcome:smile:
I was also in a similar situation where I wanted to apply for medicine my whole life, but the
highest I got was a C. in chemistry,biology,psychology. So now I'm applying for biochem. I got 9s and 8s in GCSEs, and I did worse in a levels due to the same situation. Don't apply for medicine. Even if you applied for medicine, and got in, I 100% guarantee you would not have been happy. IT is a course that requires people with good mental health to deal with various situations in the hospital etc. You feel like you could have done better if not for your mental health blah blah blah. BUT you did your BEST. your BEST at that time. Don't compare yourself to others(i do that a lot ) and think oh if it weren't for this situation, then i would ace like other ppl and i would be so happy blah blah blah. But we're talking about life here. some people have health issues, some people don't. Some people die at the age of 10 and some people live till 80. It's just one life, so we have to make the best of it. So don't beat yourself up for it. I used to do that as well, I found a way to blame myself for every situation, even if it was unrelated to me. You say you are worthless, maybe you are. But at least you can solve some problems that will make you feel less worthless. Now you want to do chemistry, chemical engineering so I'm guessing you want to work in the lab? I know that since you ace your academics, you won't really know what subject that you really like. So think of this.
1) which one is the easiest
2) i would suggest chemistry if you like physical and organic chemistry to the core but chemical engineering and electrical are way more harder in terms of applying your knowledge if chemistry to physics. pick the subject that gives you random bursts of energy
3)( waiittttt i just deeped like you went to an RG uni and they got Cs and Ds? what uni was it?)
4) Don't apply for a russel group uni. There are good unis like oxford brookes and Hertfordshire with less competition
5) are you more likely to get into your first uni and pass the exams or repeat your A levels and get into a good uni?
6) go to open days, which I'm sure you might have already done, but hand pick non russel group unis and go to them ( and look at ethnic background population if you are part of bame)
7) consider getting a part time job or if you already have one, that's good, your sole focus won't be on academics
not getting into RG uni does not equal to failure
you may have messed up, but you can still fix it!
Reply 12
Original post by IO bear
you are very welcome:smile:
I was also in a similar situation where I wanted to apply for medicine my whole life, but the
highest I got was a C. in chemistry,biology,psychology. So now I'm applying for biochem. I got 9s and 8s in GCSEs, and I did worse in a levels due to the same situation. Don't apply for medicine. Even if you applied for medicine, and got in, I 100% guarantee you would not have been happy. IT is a course that requires people with good mental health to deal with various situations in the hospital etc. You feel like you could have done better if not for your mental health blah blah blah. BUT you did your BEST. your BEST at that time. Don't compare yourself to others(i do that a lot ) and think oh if it weren't for this situation, then i would ace like other ppl and i would be so happy blah blah blah. But we're talking about life here. some people have health issues, some people don't. Some people die at the age of 10 and some people live till 80. It's just one life, so we have to make the best of it. So don't beat yourself up for it. I used to do that as well, I found a way to blame myself for every situation, even if it was unrelated to me. You say you are worthless, maybe you are. But at least you can solve some problems that will make you feel less worthless. Now you want to do chemistry, chemical engineering so I'm guessing you want to work in the lab? I know that since you ace your academics, you won't really know what subject that you really like. So think of this.
1) which one is the easiest
2) i would suggest chemistry if you like physical and organic chemistry to the core but chemical engineering and electrical are way more harder in terms of applying your knowledge if chemistry to physics. pick the subject that gives you random bursts of energy
3)( waiittttt i just deeped like you went to an RG uni and they got Cs and Ds? what uni was it?)
4) Don't apply for a russel group uni. There are good unis like oxford brookes and Hertfordshire with less competition
5) are you more likely to get into your first uni and pass the exams or repeat your A levels and get into a good uni?
6) go to open days, which I'm sure you might have already done, but hand pick non russel group unis and go to them ( and look at ethnic background population if you are part of bame)
7) consider getting a part time job or if you already have one, that's good, your sole focus won't be on academics
not getting into RG uni does not equal to failure
you may have messed up, but you can still fix it!

I understand what you're saying about medicine, but I wanted to do it for so long and I still do. It's almost like I'm thinking that medicine would solve all my problems. Like I wouldn't have to decide what I want to do or think about careers. With med it dosen't even matter what uni you go to bc the course is the same everywhere, and it dosen't affect your career bc everyone is going to end up with a guaranteed job in the NHS.
Also, that's so crazy, same situation with the medicine thing! I'm sorry that you've been through this, I know how tough it can be. I
wish I'd at least gone through the application process, even if I got rejected, at least I tried. But it's hard not to say what if when I didn't even try.
Idk maybe that's the wrong way to think. Maybe one day I can do graduate entry medicine if I still want it in the future.
Also, there are basically 'good' and 'better' RGs, and also some are way better for certain subjects than others.
I really do want to go to a good uni, I want to go to Durham/Warwick. Warwick don't need an A in chem, since I got A*A in maths and bio, they said a B is okay. Butttt I have to apply for 2024 entry to Warwick, meaning take a gap year.
Durham want the A for chemistry, but offered me a place for biosciences instead, like biology, ecology etc. Maybe I should go for it since I don't know what I want. Otherwise, its a gap year, resit chem and reapply for 2024.
Bristol and York have said that if I get my A in my chem resit, I will most likely be offered a place (again, would have to take a gap year and apply to them)
Thing is, idk if I really want to go to Bristol since it's more of a city vibe and I prefer campus unis.
Maybe I should just go to Durham? I mean I don't even know what I wanna study, so maybe I should just take the plunge and go for biosciences. They said I can combine it with comp sci too, which would be good for career prospects. But idk...
Also, my current uni is Nottingham, and yeah for chem they were letting in just about anyone to the chem degree through clearing who had a C in chemistry A-level. Meaning you could get in with CCC or CCD etc. Ik clearing offers are meant to be low, but that's just showing that they REALLY needed to fill up their places. And then when I went there like I said, I was surrounded by ppl who didn't want to be there or who were just in uni for a good time, like just not a good environment for me since I get influenced.
In comparison, Warwick's clearing offer was ABB-ABC, and their usual offer is AAA-AAB.
Bristol/York/Durham didn't go into clearing.
Anyways with chem eng/electrical/chemistry, I'd say they're all tough degrees. The good thing about eng degrees is that you can get a job with just your degree, whereas with chem, you would need a PhD to get good jobs. I know I want to work in smth sciencey, but I'm interested in too many things. I like medical research, renewable energy technology, drug design, solar power, but I wouldn't be able to go into some of these depending on which degree I choose.
The thing is, my mind is too overwhelmed with all of these factors. So I can't even take a step back and say this is what I WANT/LIKE. I hate myself I'm literally such an extreme overthinker.
Also, if I wanna do chem eng, I'd go back to my current uni as the other unis I like don't have it , but they all offer electrical eng and chem.
I think that if I retake chem, I could get my A. But I don't need an A for Warwick, which is like my top choice, bc of my other grades. But for the other 3 I do need an A, but like I said, I'd choose Warwick over all of them. Also Warwick is really diverse too, so I wouldn't have to worry about that. I went to the open day for Warwick, really liked it. Durham was nice too, and York were so warm and welcoming. Not seen Bristol yet, and been to Bath either.
I don't think I'd get into Durham again, idk how they feel about resits plus they won't lime that I've spent this year at notts and not done any exams. Bristol said they don't care about resits at all and that my year at notts dosen't matter as I have my special circumstances. Bath said the same. I think maybe it'd be hard to get into Durham and maybe Bath too, since they really look at your PS quite abit, and I an write a good one but uno... Bristol and Warwick and York are safer I think, but the only one I really want to go to is Warwick, and there's no guarantee they'll give me a place esp bc of the Yr I spent at notts. So... ugh I'm so confused.
I don't even know what I wanna study😭 I though about biochem and biomed too since they're closer to medicine but I just don't knowwwwwww.
So I had a part time job in the summer holidays, but I quit last week, since it's getting close to uni time and idk if I'm going back this year or not.

You're right, it's fixable at least since I only did first year. But I have to lose a year of my life. Idk my mind could change 1000000 times within that year and I may end up going straight back to notts and losing the year for nothing. Also I wouldn't have the uni environment or friends or my sports, I'd be dealing with everything by myself since my parents are.... well let's just say I can't exactly rely on them. And if I take the gap year I'm committing to chem since the other unis don't offer chem eng. I just.... dk anymore.
My brother thinks that since I can't decide, I should choose the safe option and go back to my current uni and do chem eng since it has better job prospects. He said there's no guarantee I'll get a place at Warwick or that my mind won't change again and he thinks I may end up regretting the year.
The alternative is to spend the rest of uni at notts, but I feel I'm 'wasting ' my grades by going there and I could go somewhere better.
Btw you've been so helpful, srsly thank youuu
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
I understand what you're saying about medicine, but I wanted to do it for so long and I still do. It's almost like I'm thinking that medicine would solve all my problems. Like I wouldn't have to decide what I want to do or think about careers. With med it dosen't even matter what uni you go to bc the course is the same everywhere, and it dosen't affect your career bc everyone is going to end up with a guaranteed job in the NHS.
Also, that's so crazy, same situation with the medicine thing! I'm sorry that you've been through this, I know how tough it can be. I
wish I'd at least gone through the application process, even if I got rejected, at least I tried. But it's hard not to say what if when I didn't even try.
Idk maybe that's the wrong way to think. Maybe one day I can do graduate entry medicine if I still want it in the future.
Also, there are basically 'good' and 'better' RGs, and also some are way better for certain subjects than others.
I really do want to go to a good uni, I want to go to Durham/Warwick. Warwick don't need an A in chem, since I got A*A in maths and bio, they said a B is okay. Butttt I have to apply for 2024 entry to Warwick, meaning take a gap year.
Durham want the A for chemistry, but offered me a place for biosciences instead, like biology, ecology etc. Maybe I should go for it since I don't know what I want. Otherwise, its a gap year, resit chem and reapply for 2024.
Bristol and York have said that if I get my A in my chem resit, I will most likely be offered a place (again, would have to take a gap year and apply to them)
Thing is, idk if I really want to go to Bristol since it's more of a city vibe and I prefer campus unis.
Maybe I should just go to Durham? I mean I don't even know what I wanna study, so maybe I should just take the plunge and go for biosciences. They said I can combine it with comp sci too, which would be good for career prospects. But idk...
Also, my current uni is Nottingham, and yeah for chem they were letting in just about anyone to the chem degree through clearing who had a C in chemistry A-level. Meaning you could get in with CCC or CCD etc. Ik clearing offers are meant to be low, but that's just showing that they REALLY needed to fill up their places. And then when I went there like I said, I was surrounded by ppl who didn't want to be there or who were just in uni for a good time, like just not a good environment for me since I get influenced.
In comparison, Warwick's clearing offer was ABB-ABC, and their usual offer is AAA-AAB.
Bristol/York/Durham didn't go into clearing.
Anyways with chem eng/electrical/chemistry, I'd say they're all tough degrees. The good thing about eng degrees is that you can get a job with just your degree, whereas with chem, you would need a PhD to get good jobs. I know I want to work in smth sciencey, but I'm interested in too many things. I like medical research, renewable energy technology, drug design, solar power, but I wouldn't be able to go into some of these depending on which degree I choose.
The thing is, my mind is too overwhelmed with all of these factors. So I can't even take a step back and say this is what I WANT/LIKE. I hate myself I'm literally such an extreme overthinker.
Also, if I wanna do chem eng, I'd go back to my current uni as the other unis I like don't have it , but they all offer electrical eng and chem.
I think that if I retake chem, I could get my A. But I don't need an A for Warwick, which is like my top choice, bc of my other grades. But for the other 3 I do need an A, but like I said, I'd choose Warwick over all of them. Also Warwick is really diverse too, so I wouldn't have to worry about that. I went to the open day for Warwick, really liked it. Durham was nice too, and York were so warm and welcoming. Not seen Bristol yet, and been to Bath either.
I don't think I'd get into Durham again, idk how they feel about resits plus they won't lime that I've spent this year at notts and not done any exams. Bristol said they don't care about resits at all and that my year at notts dosen't matter as I have my special circumstances. Bath said the same. I think maybe it'd be hard to get into Durham and maybe Bath too, since they really look at your PS quite abit, and I an write a good one but uno... Bristol and Warwick and York are safer I think, but the only one I really want to go to is Warwick, and there's no guarantee they'll give me a place esp bc of the Yr I spent at notts. So... ugh I'm so confused.
I don't even know what I wanna study😭 I though about biochem and biomed too since they're closer to medicine but I just don't knowwwwwww.
So I had a part time job in the summer holidays, but I quit last week, since it's getting close to uni time and idk if I'm going back this year or not.

You're right, it's fixable at least since I only did first year. But I have to lose a year of my life. Idk my mind could change 1000000 times within that year and I may end up going straight back to notts and losing the year for nothing. Also I wouldn't have the uni environment or friends or my sports, I'd be dealing with everything by myself since my parents are.... well let's just say I can't exactly rely on them. And if I take the gap year I'm committing to chem since the other unis don't offer chem eng. I just.... dk anymore.
My brother thinks that since I can't decide, I should choose the safe option and go back to my current uni and do chem eng since it has better job prospects. He said there's no guarantee I'll get a place at Warwick or that my mind won't change again and he thinks I may end up regretting the year.
The alternative is to spend the rest of uni at notts, but I feel I'm 'wasting ' my grades by going there and I could go somewhere better.
Btw you've been so helpful, srsly thank youuu

The thing is, you've wanted to do medicine for so long. Don't think about that. Why do you currently want to do medicine? I think you've already answered your question. you can still do post-graduate medicine. But maybe you should follow your brother's advice. You are doing a course that you're interested in and you are more likely to get a first in Notts. Even if you are surrounded by such people, there will always be a group who are serious about their futures, you just haven't found it yet. Also, it's only been 1 year, so don't be quick to judge. you've still got 2-to 3 yrs left. Also if I were you, I would look into life sciences as a whole degree(natural sciences in Cambridge)
chin up:smile:
Speaking as an old person who is looking at going back to education in my mid to late 30s, I think you sound really burnt out and a break would benefit you hugely. Doctor burnout is enough of a problem without starting medical education burnt out! You have so much time to go to uni, there's no upper age limit. Taking some time off and getting more life experience can in fact be hugely beneficial - even if you went back to uni in your late 20s for eg, it's actually way easier to stand out as a mature student vs just another 18yo fresh out of A Levels. And honestly....your personal statement really doesn't matter much! If you're applying to competitive courses you'll quite likely be interviewed anyway especially if you take a break. Interviews are much better for communicating your passions to tutors.

The world will absolutely not cave in if you decide to take some time out, and a healthier happier you would be a better doctor than a stressed overwhelmed one. Your happiness and mental health matter more than grades or uni reputation. In the real world nobody actually cares whether you went to an 'elite' uni or not.
Also, doing a UCAS application outside of a college setting is completely doable, you can get a reference from a professional who knows you well like eg a former teacher.
Reply 16
Original post by hilly-harrier
Also, doing a UCAS application outside of a college setting is completely doable, you can get a reference from a professional who knows you well like eg a former teacher.

i totally agree with you
Reply 17
Original post by IO bear
The thing is, you've wanted to do medicine for so long. Don't think about that. Why do you currently want to do medicine? I think you've already answered your question. you can still do post-graduate medicine. But maybe you should follow your brother's advice. You are doing a course that you're interested in and you are more likely to get a first in Notts. Even if you are surrounded by such people, there will always be a group who are serious about their futures, you just haven't found it yet. Also, it's only been 1 year, so don't be quick to judge. you've still got 2-to 3 yrs left. Also if I were you, I would look into life sciences as a whole degree(natural sciences in Cambridge)
chin up:smile:

I think you're right, and tbh I'm kind of overly focused on med currently because I just can't get my act together, and idk it feels like the one thing that has structured where I don't have any?
I honestly don't think it'd be the biggest deal ever to do it postgraduate.
The thing is, I'm just unhappy with everything right now. I feel I couldve achieved so much more but I'm just in my own way so much. With Nottingham, I feel I'll always regret (and am already regretting) not going somewhere 'better '. I'm finding it difficult to just settle with this option and not keep on looking towards other things and letting those other things go.
I would love to do natsci at Cambridge, I've been looking at the course and the flexibility and also the small group teaching really appeals to me. Same with Oxford (I was looking at their chem degree and also their life sciences degrees). But I don't know if I'd be able to get in. I'd need to resit my chemistry A-level since I got a B. Idk how admissions would view me, given I've spent a year at another uni, and that I'd be doing resits. I'd really need to speak to their admissions people but idk, there's no phone number and Oxford don't even have an email address to send queries to. They have a question form which I submitted ages ago, but I've given up on getting a response.
Also idk how I'd be able to write a good enough personal statement all on my own for Oxbridge, I mean people with like 3+ A* at A-level get rejected and then there would be me. Oxford has a foundation year which requires AAB but idk if I'm eligible, and I've not been able to find any contact info to ask about my eligibility.
I just... don't know if I should choose the option that is easiest right now (stay where I am) but regret it in the long run, or put myself through alot of difficulty without really even knowing what I want...
Reply 18
Original post by hilly-harrier
Speaking as an old person who is looking at going back to education in my mid to late 30s, I think you sound really burnt out and a break would benefit you hugely. Doctor burnout is enough of a problem without starting medical education burnt out! You have so much time to go to uni, there's no upper age limit. Taking some time off and getting more life experience can in fact be hugely beneficial - even if you went back to uni in your late 20s for eg, it's actually way easier to stand out as a mature student vs just another 18yo fresh out of A Levels. And honestly....your personal statement really doesn't matter much! If you're applying to competitive courses you'll quite likely be interviewed anyway especially if you take a break. Interviews are much better for communicating your passions to tutors.

The world will absolutely not cave in if you decide to take some time out, and a healthier happier you would be a better doctor than a stressed overwhelmed one. Your happiness and mental health matter more than grades or uni reputation. In the real world nobody actually cares whether you went to an 'elite' uni or not.

You're totally right, and maybe it's a blessing in disguise that I'm not doing med right now. I think the reason I can't let go of it in this moment is because it's a path that's all structured and sorted out in a way, and I'm so unstructured and undecided about what I want.
I completely agree, taking time out can be really beneficial. But for someone like me who has no idea what they want and is quite unmotivated and undisciplined, is it a good idea? My priorities are all out of wack - if I at least had a clear goal I was working towards then time out would be justified. But I'm just too all over the place. Like right now, I don't know what I want to study, but a big problem for me is where I'm studying it, and feeling that I could be at a better institution. I feel I've squandered my opportunities.
So do I stick with where I am or do I try to get in elsewhere? I just don't know
Reply 19
hello again.
Idk if you've made your decision yet.
Go back to Nottingham, and finish your undergrad. At least you like the course and you have already tried your best. At this point, you are being so unrealistic with the Oxbridge thing. It is not possible, AT ALL.And don't think it's because ur not smart. Everybody has their limit. Nat sci is also a very broad degree, there's a wide range of job prospects, but keep in mind, you don,t go into as much detail as other courses, so the jobs are not specialised
You have already answered your question, but you're just confusing urself
Go back to ur current uni, and do whatever you want post grad, whether it be masters in oxbridge, imperial or whatever. The only mistake you are making is that Right now, instead of focussing on your current uni, and getting into second year, you are wasting time thinking about this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending