The Student Room Group

What is more prestigious?

Silly question ... but what do you think is more prestigious? Med school average graduate or law school top graduate.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Between what?
Reply 2
Original post by gtty123
Between what?

Med school average graduate or law school top graduate.
Reply 3
Original post by Lele13
Med school average graduate or law school top graduate.

This is very subjective. If you ask someone in the Law profession, they will inevitably say the lawyer is deemed as more prestigious. Ask a random person on the street and they will likely say the Medicine graduate is seen as more prestigious.
Reply 4
Is this what you will be basing your career trajectory on?
Reply 5
But as a graduate law student, I think average med student.
Original post by Synergy~
But as a graduate law student, I think average med student.

Yes Med school is in a different league in competitiveness. I will never understand it honestly.
Reply 7
Original post by gregregregreg
Yes Med school is in a different league in competitiveness. I will never understand it honestly.

Yess completely agreed. After seeing how my med student friends live -- equivalent of selling your soul imho lol -- I think people often overstate how difficult studying law is; and the difficulty levels for completing a degree and dedication factor in for prestige. Especially since there is a saturation of law graduates right now.

Edit: Though not to say it is not up there for difficulty, just not as much as ppl think
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Lele13
Silly question ... but what do you think is more prestigious? Med school average graduate or law school top graduate.

So what you are basically saying is do which more impresses you, someone wearing a slightly shabby tie from Med school or someone wearing a gleaming tie from law school?

Me? I would rate the doctor that has a high success rate in their field and similarly, the lawyer. Where they went to school is ultimately irrelevant.

Prestige = vanity. Ability to actually do a job = sanity.

Prestige != ability.
(edited 7 months ago)
About the same.

How impressive would be dependent on what they achieved in there career.
Original post by Lele13

The most prestigious thing is a person with genuine interst in what they are doing. Only if you have a true interest will you have the stamina to reach the top and stay there. The reason is that you then enjoy your work, and find all he tiny discoveries that it gives you personally rewarding. "I did not know this!" "How fascinating" and so on. If you study something for appearances you will soon tire. At the universities you will find experts on tiny worms, eggshells and puerto rican crime novels. If they are asked about their pet subject they will corner you in cantine and explain why the worm reproduces asexually etc.

If you are after money, my advice go into business, chase your money. If you are after power or have strong convictions about how society should be run, go into politics. If you want to be a celebrity jerk off on Big Brother (vulgar language warning). You will not survive in the long run if you do not enjoy what you do and find it rewarding, and you will never reach the top.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending