The Student Room Group

how respected is loughborough uni and loughborough uni for computer science

so i received an offer from this uni but my parents were a bit meh on the uni and i have seen it is ranked highly on CUG (7th) for general and is 17th on the computer science rankings so is pretty good but how do others view it?
Reply 1
Original post by jake102:)
so i received an offer from this uni but my parents were a bit meh on the uni and i have seen it is ranked highly on CUG (7th) for general and is 17th on the computer science rankings so is pretty good but how do others view it?
I also got an offer for a different course from them! Although Loughborough is not a Russell uni it is still a great uni. I can't speak for all of their courses but they seem to care about their students and are definitely ambitious.
Original post by jake102:)
Hi @jake102 [s]smile[/s] ,

Great to hear you are considering Loughborough :smile:

I don't study computer science but know it is fairly popular at Loughborough.

I have been at Loughborough for 2 years now so can give you a bit of insight about Loughborough in general. Loughborough is very much a student town and as you are on a campus it has such a strong community feel- I really love this as and you tend to see a lot of people you know. It's hard to describe but there are just nice vibes on campus and everyone is so nice. The facilities at Loughborough are amazing- particularly for sport but also for academics and social aspects. During the week most social events happens on campus through the Student Union. For example, there tend to be 2 nights out in the week (Wednesday and Friday) and events during the day which differ week to week. Take a look at our student union website for more insight here. At the weekends more seems to happen off campus. In town (which is walking distance from campus) there are multiple pubs, bars, cafe's, restaurants and nightclubs which tend to be full of students at the weekend.

When it came to me making my decision I spent time comparing the modules that were offered for the course at the different universities I had offers from. I also took into consideration factors I thought were most important to me for example, I wanted to go to a campus university so that was a big thing for me- but everyone is different! There will be so many different pros and cons to different universities but it is your decision so do what you feel is right and choose where you can imagine yourself for the next three years!

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please do ask :smile:

Alex
Reply 3
Historically, Loughborough was so strongly known for sport that it tended to overshadow much else. It is also known for Engineering- it's roughly a top 10-15 university for Engineering courses. Because it doesn't teach Law or Medicine, which even some younger universities do, it is more difficult to call it a 'traditional' university (even though, in its very early days, it strived for an Oxbridge-like formality - wearing gowns to dinner - that no longer exists there). But because it's also an earlier university than the 1960s generation, it does have a few older buildings. It currently ranks a very good joint 10th for percentage of staff across all departments being engaged in high quality research. For research quality across all departments it's currently a more 'meh' (in terms of top universities) 27th- joint with nearby Leicester but it is above Newcastle and Reading.

Entry standards - Computer Science entrants at Loughborough are currently ranked 25th and currently have higher average grades (160) than at York (155), Lancaster (149), Newcastle (146), Liverpool (143), Leicester (133) and Reading (131). Average grades is partly a sign of supply and demand. So if a university has relatively few places available for a subject, it might choose to ask for higher entry grades than a university that has lots of places. Or if a university is generally known as a prestigious name, it might choose to ask for higher entry grades (or end up with students with higher entry grades) than a less prestigious name university, even if the less prestigious university is better at that subject. Sometimes less prestigious universities have better facilities for certain things than more prestigious universities.

Visit every university that's on your list.
(edited 1 month ago)
Rankings are essentially marketing nonsense - they change all the time and employers mostly ignore them.

Loughborough is a fantastic smaller Uni and is strong academically.
It also has fantastic sports facilities.

If the course feels right and the Uni environment feels right, then its the right Uni for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending