The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Uni Worries - Pls help postgrads!

Hi
I'm a Fresher starting in Sep this year doing English Lit. When I visited Durham on their open day, I fell in love with the city and could imagine myself living and making friends there.

However, I've recently fallen down a rabbithole of reading negative reviews about Durham, and there are ALOT of them.

I come from a Working Class background - and we all know that Durham isn't cheap - and I just worry that I will spend all of this money just to not enjoy my time there and feel as though I could've spent less money and had just as good of a time in another Uni.

Are there any postgrads that could ease my worries and tell me their experience with Durham? Especially if you are a woman from a working class and/or LGBTQ+ background (but you don't have to be - any advice at all is appreciated!).

Thanks <3
I’m a DU grad from a working class background and I only ever experienced a very little bit of negativity from a very tiny proportion of people. Uni is different from school because you’re suddenly thrown in with a lot of different people from a lot of different backgrounds - the vast majority are very friendly and welcoming but you just be yourself and make friends with people who you get on with and join clubs for stuff you enjoy doing. I’m now working and there are still really pretentious people I don’t talk to much so it’s good prep for accepting that some people are just a**hole
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by abgailrxe
Hi
I'm a Fresher starting in Sep this year doing English Lit. When I visited Durham on their open day, I fell in love with the city and could imagine myself living and making friends there.

However, I've recently fallen down a rabbithole of reading negative reviews about Durham, and there are ALOT of them.

I come from a Working Class background - and we all know that Durham isn't cheap - and I just worry that I will spend all of this money just to not enjoy my time there and feel as though I could've spent less money and had just as good of a time in another Uni.

Are there any postgrads that could ease my worries and tell me their experience with Durham? Especially if you are a woman from a working class and/or LGBTQ+ background (but you don't have to be - any advice at all is appreciated!).

Thanks <3

Hiya
Congratulations on securing your place at Durham! I'm going into my second year (not a postgrad) now but I remember how it felt when I first got my offer and started reading up on Durham. Unfortunately, Durham does have it's PR issues, but I can say that it is highly exaggerated. Every experience at Durham is different and every opinion on the Durham experience is 100% valid (whether its negative or positive); From my experience, my time at Durham has been wonderful and filled with so many opportunities and it's surprisingly very inclusive and openminded (I say surprisingly because of its reputation). And that is largely because of the big social scene here at Durham and the many societies at Durham that accommodate everyone. The student societies along with the collegiate system are the best part about Durham because you get a sense of community and security, both by being part of a society and a college.

While coming to Durham may seem scary because of the certain reputation surrounding it, there is generally a nice atmosphere and Uni life here at Durham and from my experience a significant majority of my interactions with people have been positive :smile:

I hope this helps and I wish you the best!

-Ghala
Hi! I can't exactly offer a postgrad perspective but certainly a view as someone who is going to be a fresher in a couple of days just like you, lol. I'm also studying eng lit and have been concerned about super wealthy peers being extra judgy of me, etc, as I come from a family of immigrants with a single parent. I don't know if this helps at all but please know that you are not alone and the bad reviews are probably just far louder than the people who genuinely (and quietly) appreciate durham!!
Original post by abgailrxe
Hi
Thanks <3
Hi ! I am in a similar situation in terms of falling down a bit of a rabbit hole of opinions on Durham , specifically how diverse it is ( as I am a woman in the lgbtq+ community and am a poc) honestly I haven't found a definitive answer yet and while I am still a bit on the fence, I most likely will be firming Durham and starting in Sept. I think the college you go to tends to make a big difference on your experience there, or at least that's the general consensus I've found . Hope this helps in that other people starting in September have similar worries so are probably like minded to some extent :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest