The Student Room Group

Durham vs Manchester for LLB

Guys! I got into Durham, Manchester, Nottingham and Queen Mary for LLB course. I’m super confused rn cause Durham was my dream fr but I’m worried it’s a little too isolated and that I should consider Manchester for a more city centric life? Help!!!
Original post by Sahithiiii
Guys! I got into Durham, Manchester, Nottingham and Queen Mary for LLB course. I’m super confused rn cause Durham was my dream fr but I’m worried it’s a little too isolated and that I should consider Manchester for a more city centric life? Help!!!

Hii!! I have an offer for Durham too for law and I’m also worried for this exact same reason! While I haven’t been to Durham, from what I’ve heard despite it being out of the way it does seem to be like any other uni really :smile: if you want to get a feel for the place I’d recommend watching YouTube vlogs from past or current students and look at things to do in Durham. Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Dyendle12
Hii!! I have an offer for Durham too for law and I’m also worried for this exact same reason! While I haven’t been to Durham, from what I’ve heard despite it being out of the way it does seem to be like any other uni really :smile: if you want to get a feel for the place I’d recommend watching YouTube vlogs from past or current students and look at things to do in Durham. Hope that helps! :smile:
omg firstly, congrats!! Are you firming Durham? And secondly, yeah I’ve watched all the videos I can but I guess I’m a little worried cause I grew up in a huge city and I’m worried I won’t make friends there? 😭
omg firstly, congrats!! Are you firming Durham? And secondly, yeah I’ve watched all the videos I can but I guess I’m a little worried cause I grew up in a huge city and I’m worried I won’t make friends there? 😭

Thanks so much congrats to you too!!! I’m not sure about firming Durham because of my apprehension, I am super grateful for my offer though and think it’s a great uni!! Yeah that does seem like a big step from a big city to a smaller one like Durham, have you been to the uni at all or are you able to go on an offer holders day? And regarding friends, i too am worried about this, however I think a lot of people are in the same boat so I think people will understand and be a bit more chatty 😁 one video I saw on the Durham student channel said the best way to make friends is in societies and by just propping your door open in freshers week and saying hi to people as they walk past :smile:)
Reply 4
Thanks so much congrats to you too!!! I’m not sure about firming Durham because of my apprehension, I am super grateful for my offer though and think it’s a great uni!! Yeah that does seem like a big step from a big city to a smaller one like Durham, have you been to the uni at all or are you able to go on an offer holders day? And regarding friends, i too am worried about this, however I think a lot of people are in the same boat so I think people will understand and be a bit more chatty 😁 one video I saw on the Durham student channel said the best way to make friends is in societies and by just propping your door open in freshers week and saying hi to people as they walk past :smile:)
I’m an international student so unfortunately not ☹️
What other unis are you looking at?

Glasgow, Lancaster, york and Surrey:smile: hbu?
Reply 6

QMUL, Manchester, Nottingham and Bristol. I’ve gotten offers from all of them except Bristol and im so confused 😭
Hi @Dyendle12,
Nice to hear your interested in studying at Lancaster. I'd say that Lancaster is a small city similar to Durham however, there's a good range of shops, cafes and bars in town with lots of events going on throughout the year in town, as well as on campus to get involved with.
In regards to making friends, i was similarly worried about this before university, however i actually found it really easy to talk to people, especially in freshers week as ultimately everyone is in a new experience, where they wont know anyone, so are usually very friendly and open to a chat. Also I've found societies a great way to make friends, as everyone there has a shared interest, so there's always something to talk about.
If you have any questions on Lancaster, or more generally about university, feel free to ask!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Dyendle12,
Nice to hear your interested in studying at Lancaster. I'd say that Lancaster is a small city similar to Durham however, there's a good range of shops, cafes and bars in town with lots of events going on throughout the year in town, as well as on campus to get involved with.
In regards to making friends, i was similarly worried about this before university, however i actually found it really easy to talk to people, especially in freshers week as ultimately everyone is in a new experience, where they wont know anyone, so are usually very friendly and open to a chat. Also I've found societies a great way to make friends, as everyone there has a shared interest, so there's always something to talk about.
If you have any questions on Lancaster, or more generally about university, feel free to ask!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Thanks very much!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending