The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Applying to LSE: Economics

I've recently taken a sort of gap year after receiving results greater than my predicted and now at an A*A*A and have decided to apply to study Economics Bsc at LSE but I fear I might've severely missed key requirements. For starters I don't do further maths, but I have done regular maths and achieved the A*, and despite it not explicitly being a requirement I feel like FM students will still have the edge on me. Secondly, I haven't done the TMUA which I hear is a considerable aspect of one's application (I'm not too sure on how true this is) and that it'll be unavailable from next year. I believe I've written a strong personal statement but collectively insufficient, are my chances of getting in practically inexistent?
- Side note: I've also applied to UCL and King's, in the event of getting rejected are my chances there better?
Original post by JR05
I've recently taken a sort of gap year after receiving results greater than my predicted and now at an A*A*A and have decided to apply to study Economics Bsc at LSE but I fear I might've severely missed key requirements. For starters I don't do further maths, but I have done regular maths and achieved the A*, and despite it not explicitly being a requirement I feel like FM students will still have the edge on me. Secondly, I haven't done the TMUA which I hear is a considerable aspect of one's application (I'm not too sure on how true this is) and that it'll be unavailable from next year. I believe I've written a strong personal statement but collectively insufficient, are my chances of getting in practically inexistent?
- Side note: I've also applied to UCL and King's, in the event of getting rejected are my chances there better?

LSE formally state that students who have/had FM available to them and did not take it are at a disadvantage. I believe past FOIA requests have shown that about 90-95% if successful applicants each year for LSE single honours economics take FM.

I would suggest either plan to do FM in your gap year or apply to joint honours economics courses at LSE where FM is less essential (e.g. econ history and economics, politics and economics, etc).
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending