The Student Room Group

Applying for glasgow vs newcastle medicine?

I'm applying for medicine and can't decide which university to choose for my fourth option. I'm definitely applying for Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool, and I'm not sure whether Glasgow or Newcastle is the best choice for my last space. My UCAT score was 3240 and my predicteds are A*AAA, and I want to apply strategically but both seem fairly similar for grades (though Newcastle does seem more selective for UCAT?).
From what I understand, both have fairly similar teaching styles (CBLs) and entrance competitivity. Glasgow appeals to me because of the two electives and the structure of the curriculum, and Newcastle's placement system where you basically have to live somewhere else for a year seems like a massive drawback, but I don't know if placements at Glasgow also work like that?
I haven't been able to visit either of them, and I know realistically wherever I end up I'll be happy, but I'm just incredibly unsure which to apply to. Any students at either university weighing in would be helpful, thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by l.mae
I'm applying for medicine and can't decide which university to choose for my fourth option. I'm definitely applying for Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool, and I'm not sure whether Glasgow or Newcastle is the best choice for my last space. My UCAT score was 3240 and my predicteds are A*AAA, and I want to apply strategically but both seem fairly similar for grades (though Newcastle does seem more selective for UCAT?).
From what I understand, both have fairly similar teaching styles (CBLs) and entrance competitivity. Glasgow appeals to me because of the two electives and the structure of the curriculum, and Newcastle's placement system where you basically have to live somewhere else for a year seems like a massive drawback, but I don't know if placements at Glasgow also work like that?
I haven't been able to visit either of them, and I know realistically wherever I end up I'll be happy, but I'm just incredibly unsure which to apply to. Any students at either university weighing in would be helpful, thanks!

Hi. I can't say anything about Glasgow placements but a lot of unis do have some remote locations - e.g. For Manchester in years 3,4 and 5 you might be based in preston https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/study/medicine/your-studies/clinical-experience-placements/#base (still good). For Newcastle you are told in year one where you will be in each of years 3, 4 and 5 and will be in a seminar group together, so can plan ahead. Bristol looks good choice for you. As you probably know, Liverpool is very competitive at interview.
Original post by l.mae

Hi there,

Glad to see that you are going to apply for Liverpool! Let me know if you have any questions about the University or the city :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi, slightly irrelevant to your question but do you have any UCAT tips? when did you start your revision?

Good luck on your application :smile:)
Hi! Final year at Glasgow here -- our placements aren't as long as Newcastle's. The furthest away hospitals offer accommodation, but the course is still based in Glasgow and we don't move away.

Basically, in preclinical phases you'll have a day at a time in hospital, GP etc. You become full-time on placement after 3rd year exams around February: blocks are normally 5 weeks long in a single hospital, with your "senior medicine" block in 4th year being the only one that's longer (it's a double block, so 10 weeks). If you're in Dumfries, Crosshouse, or Ayr (trying to think of any others, but these are the ones I've done) you'll be offered hospital accommodation. Theoretically you can still commute, but that becomes difficult if you don't drive.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense, and feel free to ask any more questions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending