The Student Room Group

A100 Medicine for International Students 2024 Entry

This is the 2024 Medicine entry thread for international students, please feel free to ask any questions and help build an international applicant community.

Click here for last year's thread
Click here for the 2022 thread
Click here for the 2021 thread

The below information may be taken from the first link:
Please use this space to post your statistics once the time comes, using the template (originally made by @ecolier) below as an example with statistics, interviews and offers. This will be extremely useful for which medical schools to apply, offer dates, interviews, etc.

Applied: (date)
UCAT: (your UCAT results)
BMAT: (your BMAT results)
GCSEs/Equivalent: (your GCSEs)
A-Levels/ Degree / Equivalent : (your A-Levels)

University 1 / UCAS code
Date: (date) | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: (date) | Reply: Interview invite / etc.
Date: (date) | Reply: Offer / Rejection

University 2 / UCAS code

University 3 / UCAS code

University 4 / UCAS code

University 5 (Your backup) / UCAS code

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Best of luck!

Scroll to see replies

Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
posting to thread
Reply 3
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right thread but just needed a bit of help deciding which schools to apply too. I've had a bit of a look and researched most of the options. I was just wondering if anyone had anymore insight into some of the chose schools specific to my stats.

International Student from Australia,
Predicted ATAR (99+)
UCAT ANZ: 3270 (700, 870, 880, 820) and 602 SJT (band 2 I believe not too sure)

I have considered : KCL, Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham, SGUL, UEA

I wanted to go Queen Mary Uni of London and Nottingham however have ruled them out due to not having UCAS tariff and band 2 SJT respectively.

I was also wondering about St Andrews and whether that was a viable options as well.

Thank you!
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by bowih
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right thread but just needed a bit of help deciding which schools to apply too. I've had a bit of a look and researched most of the options. I was just wondering if anyone had anymore insight into some of the chose schools specific to my stats.

Predicted ATAR (99+)

I wanted to go Queen Mary Uni of London and Nottingham however have ruled them out due to not having UCAS tariff and band 2 SJT respectively.

I was also wondering about St Andrews and whether that was a viable options as well.

Thank you!

Congratulations for your excellent UCAT score.

KCL, Bristol, Birmingham are good choices based on statistics for 2023 entry. UEA is an excellent choice as it uses 50% UCAT as post interview score. Manchester and SGUL has relatively low UCAT cut off for 2023 entry (2780 and 2630) so you will face very intense competition post interview. St Andrew is a good option if they accept your qualification.
Please check the websites of the respective universities in September for any changes of their admission policies.
Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by NGKT
Congratulations for your excellent UCAT score.

KCL, Bristol, Birmingham are good choices based on statistics for 2023 entry. UEA is an excellent choice as it uses 50% UCAT as post interview score. Manchester and SGUL has relatively low UCAT cut off for 2023 entry (2780 and 2630) so you will face very intense competition post interview. St Andrew is a good option if they accept your qualification.
Please check the websites of the respective universities in September for any changes of their admission policies.
Good luck!

St A considers SJT a lot. One interview station is entirely on SJT. While SJT2 is not bad, SJT 1 will have more chance in St A. All the best.
Original post by bowih
Hi everyone,

Predicted ATAR (99+)

Thank you!

You should be fine for QMUL, cutoff including tariff was 3038 for intl and I believe you’d only lose 1 point post interview for band 2. Bristol is an excellent choice considering your cognitive score. Sheffield is another good choice although sjt is used post interview so just have to do well in the interview. St Andrew’s historically used sjt post interview but that has been removed from their website for 2024 so I think they may not use it post interview anymore.

Best of luck and congrats on acing the UCAT!
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi everyone. I would like to hear your advice/suggestion regarding which med schools to choose.

International student. No GCSEs / A-Levels. UK biomed degree (achieved). UCAT 2940 B2.

I am considering: King's, Barts, SGUL, Cardiff
Other choices in mind: Southampton, Birmingham, Edinburgh

Some remark:
On Barts' official website, they said cut off was 2870 but you guys were saying 3038, really?! Bristol stated that cut-off last yer was 2960 so I removed it from my list sadly. Edinburgh I know chance would be extremely slim but I left it there because I was interviewed last year (with better UCAT though). For Cardiff, they are well-known for looking at GCSEs but I read that they gave full score to graduates if minimum requirement is met?

Are there any med schools that would very much favour my stat but I didn't think of? Thank you in advance!
Original post by whitewhitecloud
Hi everyone. I would like to hear your advice/suggestion regarding which med schools to choose.

International student. No GCSEs / A-Levels. UK biomed degree (achieved). UCAT 2940 B2.

I am considering: King's, Barts, SGUL, Cardiff
Other choices in mind: Southampton, Birmingham, Edinburgh

Some remark:
On Barts' official website, they said cut off was 2870 but you guys were saying 3038, really?! Bristol stated that cut-off last yer was 2960 so I removed it from my list sadly. Edinburgh I know chance would be extremely slim but I left it there because I was interviewed last year (with better UCAT though). For Cardiff, they are well-known for looking at GCSEs but I read that they gave full score to graduates if minimum requirement is met?

Are there any med schools that would very much favour my stat but I didn't think of? Thank you in advance!

The 3038 includes UCAT tariff so don’t panic, cutoff was 2870 for grads with 3A*s

Kings depends on you gcse equivalents and your band 2 drops you 5 points but could be worth a shot depending on how much you fancy it

Barts depends on your a level equivalents and your degree class- heavily favour a 1st

SGUL good shout, although they take shy into account post interview

Cardiff- can’t comment for intls

Soton and Edinburgh good choices

Brum also depends on your gcse equivalents

I would recommend Brunel as a direct application as well as uclan and Buckingham

Newcastle is also a decent option for you
Original post by Chi chi5
The 3038 includes UCAT tariff so don’t panic, cutoff was 2870 for grads with 3A*s

Kings depends on you gcse equivalents and your band 2 drops you 5 points but could be worth a shot depending on how much you fancy it

Barts depends on your a level equivalents and your degree class- heavily favour a 1st

SGUL good shout, although they take shy into account post interview

Cardiff- can’t comment for intls

Soton and Edinburgh good choices

Brum also depends on your gcse equivalents

I would recommend Brunel as a direct application as well as uclan and Buckingham

Newcastle is also a decent option for you

Thanks for your detailed response! If you don't mind can I ask some more questions?

Howe does UCAS tariff work for Barts? I didn't do GCSE or A-Level but my intl qualification meets their min requirement. Also got a 1st.

For SGUL, do you mean SJT is taken into account post-interview? I think I will apply to them anyway just because of their relatively low cut-off.

Edinburgh is one of my dream schools, but my UCAT score seems to be not competitive enough according to previous years' data (2023 not available yet but I'll definitely check). They also favour B1 if I am not wrong. Do you think it is a good choice?

I am aware of Brunel and Buckingham. In fact, I have had offers but I turned them down because of some personal reasons. UCLan were rude enough to ignore my application. They didn't tell me whether I was shortlisted or unsuccessful despite emailing them multiple times. I probably won't apply to them this year.
Thanks for your detailed response! If you don't mind can I ask some more questions?

Howe does UCAS tariff work for Barts? I didn't do GCSE or A-Level but my intl qualification meets their min requirement. Also got a 1st.

For SGUL, do you mean SJT is taken into account post-interview? I think I will apply to them anyway just because of their relatively low cut-off.

Edinburgh is one of my dream schools, but my UCAT score seems to be not competitive enough according to previous years' data (2023 not available yet but I'll definitely check). They also favour B1 if I am not wrong. Do you think it is a good choice?

I am aware of Brunel and Buckingham. In fact, I have had offers but I turned them down because of some personal reasons. UCLan were rude enough to ignore my application. They didn't tell me whether I was shortlisted or unsuccessful despite emailing them multiple times. I probably won't apply to them this year.

Hey sure

Barts historically scored grads on degree class, I think they’re doing the same for this year so you’d get max points for tariff bit x

haha yes sjt not shy!

Scottish unis typically have lower cutoffs for both Scottish and international applicants compared to Impending RUK students. Even though you’re an international grad your metrics allows you an aspirational so you could add Edinburgh unless their 2023 cutoffs for internationals goes above your score. If you want I can help research that a bit more for you/make some calls

As for UCLAN don’t get me started! Had an interview, was told I passed the interview. Then told they couldn’t give me an offer cos they didn’t determine me to be international and I don’t live in their catchment area so didn’t meet the criteria for home students. Also was told my application was put on hold until they could determine only to find out they didn’t defer the application smh

Hi there @whitewhitecloud,

I am very sorry to read your message, I would like to look into this for you. Please could you send us a direct message through one of our social media channels so I can investigate this further for you. Within your message please could you include your full name, date of birth, some information on when you submitted your application for this course.

Best wishes,
Sarah
Hey sure

Barts historically scored grads on degree class, I think they’re doing the same for this year so you’d get max points for tariff bit x

haha yes sjt not shy!

Scottish unis typically have lower cutoffs for both Scottish and international applicants compared to Impending RUK students. Even though you’re an international grad your metrics allows you an aspirational so you could add Edinburgh unless their 2023 cutoffs for internationals goes above your score. If you want I can help research that a bit more for you/make some calls

As for UCLAN don’t get me started! Had an interview, was told I passed the interview. Then told they couldn’t give me an offer cos they didn’t determine me to be international and I don’t live in their catchment area so didn’t meet the criteria for home students. Also was told my application was put on hold until they could determine only to find out they didn’t defer the application smh

I see, so I think Barts should be safe for me in terms of getting to interview?

I thought for Scottish unis, the cutoffs go like International>RUK>>>Scottish. But you're right, for 2022 the cutoff for RUK was slightly higher than International. I checked on Edinburgh's website. The average UCAT for interview invite were 2840 in 2022 and 2986 in 2021, while the average for offer holders were 3090 in 2022 and 3079 in 2021. They haven't published 2023 yet. (Mine is 2940, so you don't have to scroll up :tongue:) My score falls in the 2nd decile on Edinburgh scale for the last few years so I believe it will be the same this year. It seems kinda crazy to me that in 2022, the average UCAT jumped from 2840 at the interview stage to 3090 for offer holders, what the heck?

OMG I am not the only one who had issues with UCLan. Are you now studying with another med school if you don't mind me asking?

I thought for Scottish unis, the cutoffs go like International>RUK>>>Scottish. But you're right, for 2022 the cutoff for RUK was slightly higher than International. I checked on Edinburgh's website. The average UCAT for interview invite were 2840 in 2022 and 2986 in 2021, while the average for offer holders were 3090 in 2022 and 3079 in 2021. They haven't published 2023 yet. (Mine is 2940, so you don't have to scroll up :tongue:) My score falls in the 2nd decile on Edinburgh scale for the last few years so I believe it will be the same this year. It seems kinda crazy to me that in 2022, the average UCAT jumped from 2840 at the interview stage to 3090 for offer holders, what the heck?

OMG I am not the only one who had issues with UCLan. Are you now studying with another med school if you don't mind me asking?

Barts is a great reasonable risk id say x
you could keep Edinburgh, hmmm that's a bit telling though isnt it. you should still be alright. check interims mid sept
Nope, applying one final time this round x
Reply 14

RUK applicants without WP flags have needed full marks on Edinburgh's scoring algorithm for an interview for the last few years. The averages are greatly affected by WP flags, as many WP applicants are guaranteed an interview, Scottish applicants etc.
The reason it jumps at the offer stage is because the pre-interview score was used as 50% of post interview scoring for offers, so the higher the pre-interview score (which includes UCAT), the more likely an offer.....

Not sure how it worked for internationals wrt scoring, but above info may be useful for others applying
Original post by GANFYD
RUK applicants without WP flags have needed full marks on Edinburgh's scoring algorithm for an interview for the last few years. The averages are greatly affected by WP flags, as many WP applicants are guaranteed an interview, Scottish applicants etc.
The reason it jumps at the offer stage is because the pre-interview score was used as 50% of post interview scoring for offers, so the higher the pre-interview score (which includes UCAT), the more likely an offer.....

Not sure how it worked for internationals wrt scoring, but above info may be useful for others applying

tysm @GANFYD added that to the spreadsheet xx
Original post by GANFYD

International should work the same. @GANFYD What do you think of Edinburgh with regard to my situation? I am kind of deciding between King's and Edinburgh for the 'aspiration' spot.

Also may I ask if you know anything about Cardiff? I've been considering Cardiff but their selection rule for intl seems unknown to many people (even local students seem confused too...)
Reply 17
International should work the same. @GANFYD What do you think of Edinburgh with regard to my situation? I am kind of deciding between King's and Edinburgh for the 'aspiration' spot.

Also may I ask if you know anything about Cardiff? I've been considering Cardiff but their selection rule for intl seems unknown to many people (even local students seem confused too...)

I wouldn't advise an RUK applicant to apply with your stats, I'm afraid, but don't know if internationals have a lower points cut off - might be worth ploughing through last couple of years' Edinburgh threads and calculating scores of those who got interviews/offers?
Original post by GANFYD
I wouldn't advise an RUK applicant to apply with your stats, I'm afraid, but don't know if internationals have a lower points cut off - might be worth ploughing through last couple of years' Edinburgh threads and calculating scores of those who got interviews/offers?

Intl cutoffs have been lower than ruk Reubenn or I will add to Scottish uni cutoffs on the spreadsheet hopefully in the coming days x
Hey sure

haha yes sjt not shy!

Hi there @Chi chi5,

I am sorry to read that you are unhappy about your experience and I would like to investigate this further for you. Please could you send us a direct message through one of our social media channels which can be found here. In your message, please could you include your full name, application number, date of birth and some information on when you submitted your application for this course.

Best wishes,
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending